ADVERTISEMENT

Reed to go number 1?

I think it would be a good bet to place.

Sarr, by all reports, has see Italy refused to work out or send medical paperwork etc to the Hawks so the expected #1 pick doesn’t want to go to the team w the first pick. So the Hawks either take someone else or trade away the pick…Reed is one of the safest picks in the draft from knowing what you’re getting. Ceiling isn’t as high as some others but his floor is high

I hoped he'd go to the Spurs personally. Would be shocked if he went first but would love it for the kid. Great kid that deserves all the success. Down side is I'm not sure he can live up to #1 pick expectations. Will probably always be viewed as a flop even if pretty successful. Will be a trivia question in 20 years.

Remember the experts on Rafters saying it is different with Reed...he will come back? How ridiculous does that look when Reed is even being discussed as a top 5 pick? I don't think he is a top 5 pick but it is obviously not far fetched.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love Reed, and his family is a class act, but I can't stand the NBA and I think it would be a terrible decision to pick him at #1. He does one thing very well, knock down 3's. Somebody is hyping him in order to protect another pick.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I hope he goes # 1 and I hope he does well and enjoy his playing time in the NBA. Would love to see him go to Boston but I don't follow the NBA like I use to.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
I honestly hope not. I love what the Sheppard Family has meant for Kentucky basketball, but I think Reed has more chance to be Markelle Fultz than Kobe Bryant.

I mean, we're less than three months from the time he was way overmatched by Oakland -- the one in Michigan. He looked scared to death in that game. Is he ready to be the face of a struggling NBA franchise, for all that means?

Let Reed go in the middle of the first round, to a better team and without the expectations of being No. 1, and take his time to grow into a serviceable NBA player.

Love Reed and I get it, he’s so intriguing, but no. This is the problem with the NBA. Reed shouldn’t be going anywhere near number 1.

Having said that I root for 2 teams and one of them is the Pistons. Would love Reed in a Pistons jersey but I doubt it happens. I just want to get his memorabilia with the pistons. Since he can’t go to my first team Miami, then whatever. My family will begin to support the franchise he goes to. I really don’t care for the Spurs and don’t want to jump on that bandwagon, seems ridiculous. But Sheppard Spurs jerseys would be cool for the kids. I really don’t like Houston, it’s a boring franchise with crappy logos that needed to be replaced after Ming. Ive always liked the Mavericks as a 3rd / 4th option since Dirk. If it’s in Texas it needs to be Dallas. Houston no ughh….. hope not. I guess I’d take the Hawks before that but man I hate all things Atlanta.

Hopin:

1. Pistons
2. Hornets
3. Spurs
4. Hawks
5. Wizards.

Houston is so whatever boring to me I don’t want his merch with Houston lol. They need to get rid of the Ming look already and move on back
To the retro.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeismaNole
I echo some other posters. Look, we all love Reed. But, an NBA #1 draft pick‽‽ I know it's a weak draft class, but good grief. Yes, Reed shoots well, normally makes a smart play, good motor, good hands. But the kid made some pass attempts toward the end of the year that great players don't attempt. He was not a great defender because he doesn't have lateral quickness. And TBH, I'm not using an NBA first round draft pick on a shooter that seemed afraid to shoot on the college level.

Who here had Reed as a top five NBA Draft Pick when you watched him at North Laurel?

No one.

This has been crazy to see.

Houston is so whatever boring to me I don’t want his merch with Houston lol. They need to get rid of the Ming look already and move on back
To the retro.
I hate those uniforms too. The most 'meh' uniform and logo in the NBA.

I echo some other posters. Look, we all love Reed. But, an NBA #1 draft pick‽‽ I know it's a weak draft class, but good grief. Yes, Reed shoots well, normally makes a smart play, good motor, good hands. But the kid made some pass attempts toward the end of the year that great players don't attempt. He was not a great defender because he doesn't have lateral quickness. And TBH, I'm not using an NBA first round draft pick on a shooter that seemed afraid to shoot on the college level.
My biggest problem with his defense was that he got lost too many times. He would ball watch and lose his man but that is at least fixable.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I honestly hope not. I love what the Sheppard Family has meant for Kentucky basketball, but I think Reed has more chance to be Markelle Fultz than Kobe Bryant.

I mean, we're less than three months from the time he was way overmatched by Oakland -- the one in Michigan. He looked scared to death in that game. Is he ready to be the face of a struggling NBA franchise, for all that means?

Let Reed go in the middle of the first round, to a better team and without the expectations of being No. 1, and take his time to grow into a serviceable NBA player.
I get what your saying but everyone has a better chance of being a bust then Kobe Bryant lol. Kobe’s don’t grow on trees. Hell wasn’t expected to be what he became

I love Reed, and his family is a class act, but I can't stand the NBA and I think it would be a terrible decision to pick him at #1. He does one thing very well, knock down 3's. Somebody is hyping him in order to protect another pick.
He plays the whole game well. Reed has Chris Paul like court vision and feel of the game plus he is outstanding at getting his hands on the ball whether it be blocks or steals. There is a lot to like.

He plays the whole game well. Reed has Chris Paul like court vision and feel of the game plus he is outstanding at getting his hands on the ball whether it be blocks or steals. There is a lot to like.

The problem with being #1 though is that a. The team is usually garbage and b. The franchise really puts a lot more pressure on that top overall pick to perform. Even if Reed were to go 3rd to Houston.. they aren't drafting him with the same expectations. And even less so if he goes outside of top5.

I'm not sure if Reed is #1 option type of material. Even at his best, he seems like a guy who is more suited to be a second or third option on a team.. and franchises aren't using their #1 overall pick to draft a "robin".

My biggest problem with his defense was that he got lost too many times. He would ball watch and lose his man but that is at least fixable.
His steal rate suggests pretty good potential.

I think a good amount of our defensive issues over the last 5 years or so were related to coaching moreso than the roster.

Reactions: ala_kat2
He doesn't play the whole game well. His defense is awful, he often leaves his man going for a steal, resulting in wide-open 3's and he's afraid of contact resulting in easy layups. On both offense and defense he ball-watches, his passing is inconsistent. We saw this in both tournament games. We've been through this before. A team would be foolish to make him the #1 pick, he'll get a GM fired. Take off your blue-tinted glasses.

Reed played defense like someone who hadn't had good coaching YET. The problem is he came to an elite university and you expect a guy to get better with the resources we have. It just shows you how bad Cal was. Reed and his team were awful defensively and they only had small glimpses in the season where they showed improvement, but overall it could be argued that they may have even regressed through the year on defense. I am so looking forward to someone actually coaching at UK vs. focusing on generational poverty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT