ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard

There’s nothing wrong for wanting to see players who are similar to ones makeup/ background succeed
Jack Givens said he pulled for Texas Western because he saw players who looked like him. Understandable .. nothing wrong with it.
Reed would be an inspiration and great role model for many young Kentuckians. Not to mention he’s an outstanding student athlete.
Would absolutely love to see him bring the instate pride to UK basketball.
I’ve never known a single black dude who’s favorite player was a white guy . It’s just natural.

Coach Rupp and Joe B would have had him all wrapped up before any other school had a chance to be the first to offer him. Cal’s approach was after the fact, almost like he had to do it is very obvious. I think the Sheppards see the sincerity level. I believe he will go where he is truly wanted. I believe he will go to Virginia. I hope I am wrong

He brought the whole damn staff to watch the kid months BEFORE his junior year and offered. He was one of the first guys we offered in his class.

Take your BS somewhere else.

I think CAL and KY get him unless Jeff just really dislikes CAL so much he doesn’t want Reed playing for him.

Sorry but don’t want the kid! Watched him play since he was in middle school and he’s not what you all are hyping.
This kid should have already committed but instead he’s looking at other schools and options?

Sorry but don’t want the kid! Watched him play since he was in middle school and he’s not what you all are hyping.
This kid should have already committed but instead he’s looking at other schools and options?
Glad you know more than cowperry and all the crootin experts.

I’ve never known a single black dude who’s favorite player was a white guy . It’s just natural.
I knew several that sang Larry Bird’s praises back in the day. I think young people tend to back the hottest available players. I’m not sure color plays into it that much.

So he is trash BUT he should of already committed?

wow

So he is trash BUT he should of already committed?

wow
Never said he was trash brother, he’s just not the stud you think he is. He may be a great 3 yr player but it’s not make or break if we don’t get him. Besides if he wants to go to Kentucky and be the homestate hero, he would’ve already committed yet he’s taking visits to Tardville.

Kentucky hadn't offered Cason Wallace until the Peach Jam and he's in '22 class.

They offered Sheppard very early for how the program operates and made sure to have a strong presence at all of his games. If that's not enough on UK end......what is? I mean this fantasy that every kid wants to be a Cat and will be just because they get an offer....well ball is in his court right now, not Kentucky's and they are recruiting him hard and making sure he's known he's a priority but they are 50% of the equation here.

Say this as a fan who likes Sheppard's game and thinks highly of him as well, but this "He'd have been committed IF....." is an interesting take when in today's climate of NIL, OT Elite, G-League, etc...it's important to focus on the class right in front of you rather then having the luxury of looking ahead too far because fans would be all over the staff for whiffing on guys they have landed.

He's coming off his sophomore year and like everybody else probably wants to see how UK looks with new assistants, coming off a worse than horrible season. No hurry at all.
Right but given the circumstances he should’ve already committed here. Just my opinion though.

If he was alive, you would have had a day of reckoning with my Dad and his Shotgun.

No Kidding...he shot (wounded) a burglar breaking into our next door neighbor's house in the middle of the night (back in the 1950's before our Courts went crazy Liberal).

I had a feeling someone would comment on that part. To think that him being white from rural Kentucky doesn't play a role in his popularity with a significant portion of this fanbase is naïve imo. There is a reason why, over the past 40 years, Rex Chapman, Richie Farmer, and now Reed Sheppard have potentially been the 3 most popular recruits from the state of Kentucky. It doesn't mean people are racist and it doesn't mean people prefer white players over black players. It means that for a lot of white, rural people in this state (which there are a lot of), seeing "one of them" succeed to the level of being able to play at Kentucky, is rare and special. I don't think it's bad or wrong to admit that. It's just the truth.
i guess you intentionally left out guys like Minnefield, Allen, Hurt, Hawkins, Miller (yes i remember all their recruitments)
when it comes to UK BB we want out great instate players to play for UK
the color of their skin does not matter
just as many people were screaming for Allen to get minutes as they were for Farmer

you are a good poster and i truly hate having to correct you on this issue

i guess you intentionally left out guys like Minnefield, Allen, Hurt, Hawkins, Miller (yes i remember all their recruitments)
when it comes to UK BB we want out great instate players to play for UK
the color of their skin does not matter
just as many people were screaming for Allen to get minutes as they were for Farmer

you are a good poster and i truly hate having to correct you on this issue
You forgot Jack Givens, James Lee, Melvin Turpin, Anthony Epps, Ravi Moss and Derek Anderson. All fan favorites.

You forgot Jack Givens, James Lee, Melvin Turpin, Anthony Epps, Ravi Moss and Derek Anderson. All fan favorites.
Let's not forget:
Paul Andrews (Laurel County)
Dicky Beal (Covington)
Leroy Byrd III (aka "Baby Magic")

ALL were Fan favorites

Last edited:
I didn’t read this all word for word but put me in the camp of Pro Reed to UK posters. I loved his dad while at UK. Respect the heck out of what he did for UK while he was playing. If his kid is as good as advertised we’d be crazy not to want him to represent UK. Come on down Reed. Can’t wait to see you coming off those curls draining jumpers like your dad. Hopefully with the same results!

He brought the whole damn staff to watch the kid months BEFORE his junior year and offered. He was one of the first guys we offered in his class.

Take your BS somewhere else.
I guess we will see. Been with the program since 1963. Graduated in 1976. Would love to have Reed. Just don’t believe it is Bullshit. I think anybody like you that thinks they are as interested in him as anybody else they are recruiting in the 2023 class are full of it. I guess we will see who is right.

Reactions: wcc31
Yes. I. Do. Take it to your bank. I don’t know what you’ll do with it but take it there and tell em.
You are probably right, but lot's can happen over the next two years. That's why he hasn't committed to anyone right now. Just too early.....

Coach Rupp and Joe B would have had him all wrapped up before any other school had a chance to be the first to offer him. Cal’s approach was after the fact, almost like he had to do it is very obvious. I think the Sheppards see the sincerity level. I believe he will go where he is truly wanted. I believe he will go to Virginia. I hope I am wrong

Lol I sense alot of little man syndrome coming from you see

Wish Cal would recruit Colin Chandler out here in Utah. Said that last year when he was ranked 80th. Gave George work, super athlete who scores on all three levels with ease. Pg/Sg. Like a more athletic Tyler Herro who is a dog on defense

• Love
Reactions: Ron Mehico and Aike
Wish Cal would recruit Colin Chandler out here in Utah. Said that last year when he was ranked 80th. Gave George work, super athlete who scores on all three levels with ease. Pg/Sg. Like a more athletic Tyler Herro who is a dog on defense
Send KY some video highlights of the Kid. Sheppard won’t go to UL. Guessing it’s KY or Virginia really hoping it’s KY.

Send KY some video highlights of the Kid. Sheppard won’t go to UL. Guessing it’s KY or Virginia really hoping it’s KY.
He’s going to make his own decision but I really can’t imagine him not choosing UK with the NIL revenue, short drive from home and chance to play with Wagner.

Sheppard gets underclassman POY from The Circuit. Not bad.

Classic take

Hope you’re right! This ended up being a pretty crazy way he got here haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT