ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard

We need Cal to go and tell this kid we want him. Just like he did Wagner. It would go along way to Reed and the Shepard’s. Along with pleasing the peasants. IMO
Cal may have already done that. Hard for me to imagine the UK staff hasn't talked to his family about making Sheppard and Wagner their most wanted guards in the class of 2023.

Sheppard’s father, Jeff Sheppard, told the Herald-Leader on Monday afternoon that Louisville was in to see his son last week, adding that coaches from Kentucky, Ohio State and Virginia are working on dates to visit with him in person in the near future. He also said the family was planning on visiting all four of those schools soon. His only campus visit so far since the end of the July evaluation periods was a trip to Indiana last month

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...ecruiting/article254212488.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: CatTough
I have a bad feeling about Sheppard. Thinking maybe he wants to set his own path, and not live in his dad's shadow at UK, and all of the (unrealistic) expectations. Think "is Richie going to play tonight" times 2.

I have a bad feeling about Sheppard. Thinking maybe he wants to set his own path, and not live in his dad's shadow at UK, and all of the (unrealistic) expectations. Think "is Richie going to play tonight" times 2.
If he comes here it's going to be insane...and honestly, maybe not even that enjoyable for him. He is the biggest legacy recruit in the history of our program, a 5 star recruit and a white kid from rural Kentucky. Add all of that together and he's Richie and Rex combined into one player.

Not being quite good enough. I was worried about that a year ago but he's really improved his game and showed it over the summer. I expect him to continue to improve...and hope he grows a couple more inches. ;)

Last edited:
If he comes here it's going to be insane...and honestly, maybe not even that enjoyable for him. He is the biggest legacy recruit in the history of our program, a 5 star recruit and a white kid from rural Kentucky. Add all of that together and he's Richie and Rex combined into one player.
That last bit is a good way to look at it. I think he may go to UVA.

If he comes here it's going to be insane...and honestly, maybe not even that enjoyable for him. He is the biggest legacy recruit in the history of our program, a 5 star recruit, and a white kid, the son of a UK Legend, from rural Kentucky. Add all of that together and he's Richie and Rex combined into one player.

FIFY.
No one cares what color he is.

I think this is free.

Any questions regarding Sheppard’s ability to play at UK were answered this summer.

Asked how he might fit in the Wildcats’ program, Jenkins said UK fans might want to watch how Calipari uses his off-ball guards, namely incoming transfers Kellan Grady and CJ Fredrick, this season.

“If he develops at the rate that everybody thinks he will, he can kind of be a cross between both of them,” he said. “He is smart enough to play on ball. His foot speed isn’t the usual type of foot speed that most on-ball guards at Kentucky have. But he’s savvy enough to make up for it. And then focusing on his ability to shoot the basketball and how that translates within his offense. I think he would be able to play that cross-between role.”

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...ecruiting/article254212488.html#storylink=cpy

FIFY.
No one cares what color he is.
I had a feeling someone would comment on that part. To think that him being white from rural Kentucky doesn't play a role in his popularity with a significant portion of this fanbase is naïve imo. There is a reason why, over the past 40 years, Rex Chapman, Richie Farmer, and now Reed Sheppard have potentially been the 3 most popular recruits from the state of Kentucky. It doesn't mean people are racist and it doesn't mean people prefer white players over black players. It means that for a lot of white, rural people in this state (which there are a lot of), seeing "one of them" succeed to the level of being able to play at Kentucky, is rare and special. I don't think it's bad or wrong to admit that. It's just the truth.

I think this is free.

Any questions regarding Sheppard’s ability to play at UK were answered this summer.

Asked how he might fit in the Wildcats’ program, Jenkins said UK fans might want to watch how Calipari uses his off-ball guards, namely incoming transfers Kellan Grady and CJ Fredrick, this season.

“If he develops at the rate that everybody thinks he will, he can kind of be a cross between both of them,” he said. “He is smart enough to play on ball. His foot speed isn’t the usual type of foot speed that most on-ball guards at Kentucky have. But he’s savvy enough to make up for it. And then focusing on his ability to shoot the basketball and how that translates within his offense. I think he would be able to play that cross-between role.”

I see him as a combo guard. And pace can be used as important as foot speed. SGA wasn't blowing by anyone, but he was smart enough to get past defenders. I would add maybe Murray (to the Grady) comp for him.

I had a feeling someone would comment on that part. To think that him being white from rural Kentucky doesn't play a role in his popularity with a significant portion of this fanbase is naïve imo. There is a reason why, over the past 40 years, Rex Chapman, Richie Farmer, and now Reed Sheppard have potentially been the 3 most popular recruits from the state of Kentucky. It doesn't mean people are racist and it doesn't mean people prefer white players over black players. It means that for a lot of white, rural people in this state (which there are a lot of), seeing "one of them" succeed to the level of being able to play at Kentucky, is rare and special. I don't think it's bad or wrong to admit that. It's just the truth.
It's rare for anyone from Kentucky, (black, white or whatever) to succeed to the level of getting an opportunity to play at Kentucky.
I realize there is a portion of any fanbase that prefer a certain color of player, I just disagree that there is a significant portion of our fanbase that have a preference for a white player, I don't think the vast majority care.
When I read things like your post it comes across to me like it's perpetuating the false narrative of Ky. being a racist school.

I like your combo’d remark, Reed Shephard is a hybrid of Richie and Rex. This kid could walk in at UK making thousands of NIL money just from UK Fans alone.

Coach Rupp and Joe B would have had him all wrapped up before any other school had a chance to be the first to offer him. Cal’s approach was after the fact, almost like he had to do it is very obvious. I think the Sheppards see the sincerity level. I believe he will go where he is truly wanted. I believe he will go to Virginia. I hope I am wrong

• Haha
Reactions: KARLITO12

Wrong. They're fan favorites because they were local, grew up UK fans, worked hard on the court, represented the University well, AND happen to be very good if not great players. When they fall outside of that narrative, then they aren't so popular or wonderful anymore... ala Chapman...

This is not a color issue.

Go CATS!

We need Cal to go and tell this kid we want him. Just like he did Wagner. It would go along way to Reed and the Shepard’s. Along with pleasing the peasants. IMO
I mean what else would Cal recruiting him and offering him a scholarship mean? Throw in coming to watch him play all the time I’m not sure what else you think they are portraying to him.

The truth according to who? Spare me

I realize there is a portion of any fanbase that prefer a certain color of player, I just disagree that there is a significant portion of our fanbase that have a preference for a white player, I don't think the vast majority care.
When I read things like your post it comes across to me like it's perpetuating the false narrative of Ky. being a racist school.
Just stop. You know what he meant and he’s 100% right. There’s no need to be a political activist in an anonymous sports forum. Nobody is getting cancelled here.

I see him as a combo guard. And pace can be used as important as foot speed. SGA wasn't blowing by anyone, but he was smart enough to get past defenders. I would add maybe Murray (to the Grady) comp for him.
Great observation. Speed and quickness are good things but on the offensive side of the ball you dont have to always use those attributes to make things work. In fact I'd contend that the problem with a lot of players who are athletically gifted is the try to play fast all the time and end up playing out of control or in traffic taking bad shots and making bad decisions a lot. You just cant play offense hyper.

SGA had a way of walking his way to where he wanted to go by moving his defender with subtle side to side, back and forth moves and step throughs. Kind of like Harden and many others do in the NBA. They just yo yo yo their defender until they get them off step and then get to where they want to go.

Reactions: westerncat
There’s nothing wrong for wanting to see players who are similar to ones makeup/ background succeed
Jack Givens said he pulled for Texas Western because he saw players who looked like him. Understandable .. nothing wrong with it.
Reed would be an inspiration and great role model for many young Kentuckians. Not to mention he’s an outstanding student athlete.
Would absolutely love to see him bring the instate pride to UK basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT