ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard/MikeCasey

clevenger32

Junior
Mar 22, 2009
For those of you, who had the opportunity to see Mike Casey play prior to the tragic automobile accident. Would you agree with me that the similarities between Mike and Reed are very very similar?

Quietly with no flash controls the game.

Always anticipates the next move on offense and defense.

Totally unselfish.

Incredible passer.

Game flows better when they were/are in there.

Not worried about scoring…but scores when appropriate…probably passes up shots to a fault in deference to teammates.

A real leader.

I could go on.

Casey was the best player at Ky as a sophomore. Better than Issel or Pratt. However, Issel was the best of the three as Juniors and Seniors. Casey was a hell of a player! I have no doubt if that wreck had not occurred we would have another Championship.

Mike Casey was a couple inches taller and physically stronger than Reed Shephard. Both were good shooters, both had court awareness out of this world. Had Casey not broken both legs in a car wreck, Kentucky would have won the 1970 NCAA.

I like this comparision mainly because of both players' sense of anticipation. Reed is probably a slightly better athelete but it remains to be seen if Reed will be the player that pre-accident Mike was in the clutch. I cannot cite specific games off the top of my head but my recollection was that if a game was close, Mike Casey could be counted to make the BIG play to win the game whether it was a steal, shot, pass, free throw, or defense. I echo those who have said that we would have won an additional championship had he not had that car wreck. One of my favorite players.

Mike Casey was a couple inches taller and physically stronger than Reed Shephard. Both were good shooters, both had court awareness out of this world. Had Casey not broken both legs in a car wreck, Kentucky would have won the 1970 NCAA.
This is the first time I've heard about Casey having a car accident.

I never saw him play, but when hearing about him over the years, he just sounded like a solid player but not one of the "greats" from the old days.

Reactions: mailman85
Not really fair to compare these two yet. I don’t think Freshman played in Casey’s day. Also, Casey had both Pratt and Issel on the team. Those guys were heady skilled ballers. This team has nothing to compare with either. Reed is likely a better athlete but his skill set and acumen need time to mature at this level.

Ask again once the season is over. Likely better discussion then.

Reed and Gabe Cupps (Indiana) both played for arguably the best high school coach in the Midwest with Midwest Basketball Club. Watch both kids and you’ll see identical attributes and approaches to the game. They are both winners with incredible basketball IQ’s.

This is the first time I've heard about Casey having a car accident.

I never saw him play, but when hearing about him over the years, he just sounded like a solid player but not one of the "greats" from the old days.
If he had in the garden that car accident, his banner would’ve been hanging rock many many years ago

Reactions: stenchymouse
This was my exact thought when I saw the title of the thread. Not sold on Shep being the better athlete but it is possible . Relative to the eras in which they play/played I think they are pretty equal

Mike Casey was the straw that stirred the drink his first two years ...... soph and jr .....
freshman didn't play varsity. Casey missing his senior year with Issel and Pratt no doubt cost
an NCCA championship. I see the comparison ....... I hope when its all said and done that people
...... me include think Reed is equal or better than Mike Casey.

Reactions: Marathoncat
Mike Casey was the straw that stirred the drink his first two years ...... soph and jr .....
freshman didn't play varsity. Casey missing his senior year with Issel and Pratt no doubt cost
an NCCA championship. I see the comparison ....... I hope when its all said and done that people
...... me include think Reed is equal or better than Mike Casey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT