ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard Last 96 seconds

I didn't mind either shot but to be fair, the heat check 3 was a really bad shot early in the shot clock. DJ was open on his and if I remember correctly, they had worked the ball around trying to find an open shot.
I nevee understand when people say an open look early in the shot clock is a bad shot.... announcers even say he didnt work the defence enough. The point is to score, and if our high percentage sbooters are open early in the clock, i see no reason why not to shoot it everytime. Please someone help me understand, am i missing something?

Not mad that we won, not mad at all really. I think cal was disappointed that Wagner didn’t get the game winner. I think cal wanted that game winner for Wagner moreso than he did for Reed. It shouldn’t matter but to cal it does.
I caught some of Matt jones after the game who was saying cal told DJ to “make something happen”. Technically he did. His drive was cut off and he swung it to the top of the key to Reed and the rest is history.

Anything is possible but cal has been here long enough for us to see how he all operates. It’s also possible and more probable that my line of thinking is a lot closer to the truth than yours.
You say that because you want what you think to be true. I would actually argue the opposite. Cal is very strategic in what he says about players in public. He always has. It makes much more sense for Cal to praise them in public while holding the accountable behind closed doors.

I nevee understand when people say an open look early in the shot clock is a bad shot.... announcers even say he didnt work the defence enough. The point is to score, and if our high percentage sbooters are open early in the clock, i see no reason why not to shoot it everytime. Please someone help me understand, am i missing something?
He was 25 feet from the basket with 2 defenders on him after a screen. It was a bad shot that had little chance to go in.

He was 25 feet from the basket with 2 defenders on him after a screen. It was a bad shot that had little chance to go in.
The instance im talking about he was open, as open as he was all game, and the announcers state he didnt work the defense enough.
Are you saying they altered his shot, it obviously wasnt blocked.

The instance im talking about he was open, as open as he was all game, and the announcers state he didnt work the defense enough.
Are you saying they altered his shot, it obviously wasnt blocked.
The shot wasn't blocked but he had two defenders within about 2 to 3 feet of him plus Z (i think) trying to screen and roll. He was 25 feet away. If you are too far away (like you said in your next post) then that is a bad shot early in the shot clock. You try to work for a better shot. Even if he makes it, it is still a bad shot and one you miss much more often than you make.

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
Anything is possible but cal has been here long enough for us to see how he all operates. It’s also possible and more probable that my line of thinking is a lot closer to the truth than yours.
I don’t think Cal has favorites at all. I think he just doesn’t like to be wrong. When his highly touted kids don’t perform it makes him look bad so I think that’s why they get so much rope. But at the end of the day he gets just as much credit for a kid like Reed and SGA than he does John wall. The whole narrative of his “favorites” is spun by fans. We have seen it all year. Fans have decided that a kid like DJ is Cal’s proxy and Reed is the fans proxy. Thus creating heros and villains…..for no reason. There’s literally no proof that cal has a better relationship with any particular kid. No one here has attended practice or been in the locker room. Cal’s ego will always usurp whatever relationship you think he has with the players. His ego is tied to winning.

Reed had zero defenders on him. Could not have been more open. Straight away from the basket, it was a great shot for any 3 point shooter much less one that hits half of his 3 point shots. I’ll take that look all day.

Reed had zero defenders on him. Could not have been more open. Straight away from the basket, it was a great shot for any 3 point shooter much less one that hits half of his 3 point shots. I’ll take that look all day.
Then we agree to disagree. He misses that shot more frequently than he will make it as evidenced by the fact he missed it.

I don’t think Cal has favorites at all. I think he just doesn’t like to be wrong. When his highly touted kids don’t perform it makes him look bad so I think that’s why they get so much rope. But at the end of the day he gets just as much credit for a kid like Reed and SGA than he does John wall. The whole narrative of his “favorites” is spun by fans. We have seen it all year. Fans have decided that a kid like DJ is Cal’s proxy and Reed is the fans proxy. Thus creating heros and villains…..for no reason. There’s literally no proof that cal has a better relationship with any particular kid. No one here has attended practice or been in the locker room. Cal’s ego will always usurp whatever relationship you think he has with the players. His ego is tied to winning.
You just lost me at the end. Cals ego is tied to being right, not winning, Cal does want to be right about his stars so they are his favorite. He made another point about DJ hitting 40% of his 3’s prior to injury, uh what? DJ has never been close to 40% all year long. Not sure cal has ever mentioned anything positive about Reed in a presser and if he has it’s a fly by compliment and on to something different. Reed hits 50% from 3 but let’s talk about DJ in the presser and an inflated percentage he actually never shot. It’s just odd for a coach to do that.

Then we agree to disagree. He misses that shot more frequently than he will make it as evidenced by the fact he missed it.
Last two games he has made 6 and missed 4. Not very good evidence that he misses more than he makes.

Last two games he has made 6 and missed 4. Not very good evidence that he misses more than he makes.
They haven’t been that shot though. I wasn’t talking about 3s in general. I was talking about that specific shot. He misses that shot more times than he makes it. And he missed that one.

You just lost me at the end. Cals ego is tied to being right, not winning, Cal does want to be right about his stars so they are his favorite. He made another point about DJ hitting 40% of his 3’s prior to injury, uh what? DJ has never been close to 40% all year long. Not sure cal has ever mentioned anything positive about Reed in a presser and if he has it’s a fly by compliment and on to something different. Reed hits 50% from 3 but let’s talk about DJ in the presser and an inflated percentage he actually never shot. It’s just odd for a coach to do that.
People always say he doesn't care about winning. That's completely false. Does he care a ton about getting kids to the NBA? You betcha. But losing stains his ego more than anything. In his perfect world he'd see his teams win while playing his top recruits but I think Bradshaw's mins prove that he's not above scrapping that to win the game. Losing causes the "clutter" he likes to refer too so often. He says he doesn't listen to that stuff but he is lying through his teeth.

They haven’t been that shot though. I wasn’t talking about 3s in general. I was talking about that specific shot. He misses that shot more times than he makes it. And he missed that one.
So now we are pinpointing a specific spot in the floor? Is it any floor or just Miss States floor? Are we talking distance as he has made many nba range 3’s this year or are we only talking early in the shot clock 3’s. Your post makes zero sense. Was he ok to take the other 4 he hit? Please clear this up!!!

So now we are pinpointing a specific spot in the floor? Is it any floor or just Miss States floor? Are we talking distance as he has made many nba range 3’s this year or are we only talking early in the shot clock 3’s. Your post makes zero sense. Was he ok to take the other 4 he hit? Please clear this up!!!
A specific shot based on time and situation. It would’ve been a bad shot under the same circumstances anywhere on the floor. The other shots came in the flow of the offense. That shot was a heat check when the offense didn’t have a chance to get in a flow and he wasn’t in any sort of rhythm. Watch it again. Reed took a rushed shot when there was a little space between he and the defenders. I said I really didn’t mind the shot in a previous post but it was a bad shot.

Nope. For the 2nd postgame in a row he spoke a ton about DJ and also said he gave the ball to DJ for the final play and trusted he would make the right decesion.
Yeah Cal can be very obvious in what he does and he has been in full blown protect DJ's psyche mode for a while now. Its that and a combination of the fact he thinks he has to tamper down the fans overreaction and affection for Reed at the same time. What kills me is he thinks no one notices.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Listening to Cals presser after the game really made it sound like cal wanted DJ getting the game winner. Asked about reeds game winner he immediately starts talking about his bad pass.
has to be eating ccc up that Reed & Dillingham have out played Wagner all year.
Wagner has been a disappointment

Nope your dead on

Reminds me of that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where he plays every position on the baseball field....

tumblr_mnuk4aLNT41r5v9gpo1_500.gif
Bugs is a top ten actor of all time!!!!

I caught some of Matt jones after the game who was saying cal told DJ to “make something happen”. Technically he did. His drive was cut off and he swung it to the top of the key to Reed and the rest is history.
DJ handled it great. I like that he didnt let the moment speed him up into a hyper mode where bad decisions are made. He stayed poised.. Of cours Reed over there clapping his hands together harder and harder for the ball helped:)

Reactions: TCurtis75
There is a chance, kid has a head on his shoulders and enjoys college. Family isn't loaded but is well off already, you are only a kid once. Once you jump to the NBA and an 82 game season childhood is over.
Damn I read Jeff and his wife are millionaires. Or I thought I did.

*there is absolutely zero chance he returns barrring injury.

I didn't mind either shot but to be fair, the heat check 3 was a really bad shot early in the shot clock. DJ was open on his and if I remember correctly, they had worked the ball around trying to find an open shot.
A quick heat check from Reed who shoots 52% from 3 should receive less complaining from Cal than a 3 from DJ who shoots 27% from 3 only 15-20 seconds into a shot clock.

Only a few gripes. One really bad shot, 2 bad turnovers (one early and one late) and lost his man on defense a couple times. But his impact on the game was about as good as anyone could expect.

I agree. He wasn't expecting Reed to be as good as he is. I'm sure he is thankful that Reed is so humble and good natured,, so that even though some think he needs to start Reed, Cal can start someone else without worrying about Reed's feelings.
After all that Reed did during the game, do you know what Cal's first comment was in the post game press conference? He said he was going to get on him about the bad pass he made. I sure hope Cal was kidding, but who knows?!

I know I shouldn't complain about Cal, but it's late (or early🤪), I'm tired and sometimes little things about Cal get on my last nerve and/or under my skin.

So I'll end on a good note...WOW! what a game! I am so proud of all the guys for sticking with it and hanging in there. What a nail biter!!! But guys, let's not do that too often, okay? You all took about 10 years off my life and I have chewed my nails down to the quick. At least wait until they have grown back a little before you all do it again!!🤣🙂 Next time how about a cushion of about 25 points? Thanks!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
You have just spoken for about 90% of Big Blue Nation. Thank you so much.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
A 2024-2025 Reed at UK would bring daffy duck out permanently.
Cal wouldn't like it. Fans would be too ecstatic and everyone would know whos team it is.

Last edited:
I was ok with DJ having the ball. You want to try for a layup in that situationand he is the best at getting to the rim. He then can either take the shot (possibly get fouled) or dish to an open man. Cal trusted him to make the right decision and he did. He didn't have anything and he passed to Reed.
Sure but it feeled like he wanted to take that shot, thank God he did pass. As far as best at getting to the rim, did you watch the whole game? Reed was getting g to the rim at will and getting and ones. DJ can be a little wild and that was his first decent game in the last 6. I actually think Reed and Rob are better at finishing at the rim than DJ at this point.

Reed had to clap for the ball about 10 times to get that pass when DJ just had nowhere to go. It ended well so who knows, but I don't have the faith in DJ I do in Reed, Reeves and Rob to end a game. Cal wants it so bad to be DJ but that don't make it right.

Reactions: Stonewall12
Never quite seen a final minute and a half from one player like the one Reed Sheppard put up at the end of the game

FB-IMG-1709096537917.jpg
“ but DJ was shooting 40% before his injury! He hasn’t touched a basketball in 2 weeks!! “

Sure but it feeled like he wanted to take that shot, thank God he did pass. As far as best at getting to the rim, did you watch the whole game? Reed was getting g to the rim at will and getting and ones. DJ can be a little wild and that was his first decent game in the last 6. I actually think Reed and Rob are better at finishing at the rim than DJ at this point.

Reed had to clap for the ball about 10 times to get that pass when DJ just had nowhere to go. It ended well so who knows, but I don't have the faith in DJ I do in Reed, Reeves and Rob to end a game. Cal wants it so bad to be DJ but that don't make it right.
You are correct

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
He’s currently projected as a top 10 pick. No chance he comes back. Especially when his coach starts inferior players above and throws him under the bus in press conferences when asked about Reed.

I’d love to have him back as well. I just don’t see it happening
That poster occasionally likes to test his troll game, which is worse than Wagner’s long range game.

Anyone thinking Sheppard returns is just shining a spotlight on their own idiocy, and many appear to be proud of it!

I've not seen this posted on here, but did anyone else notice Reed clapping indicating "pass me the ball" as Wagner headed down the court with 6 seconds to go. He wanted that last shot. Hit it or miss it, that to me was the biggest thing.

Jesus some of you people just find anything.

Cal should be commenting about that pass. Yeah it was tongue in cheek but That type of play loses games and regardless of who’s playing well or not it’s BENEATH a player like Reed Sheppard. And he seems to do it a fair amount.

Does that diminish his other successes? No. But in order to become the best player possible his mistakes need to be pointed out.

You geniuses will say cal just rolls the ball out… and then get mad when he’s coaching different players based on their individual personalities. Yall think Reed needs to be coddled and have his ego built up? No… but guess who does right now… DJ…

Be happy and think Reed is the second coming of MJ all you want but realize there is ZERO excuse for making a pass like that in that situation. I guarantee you the two people most upset about it are Reed and Jeff Sheppard. Also realize it’s plays like that that have cost us a few games already this year. Kansas being one of them. And the way it’s fixed … by addressing it.

Reactions: TCurtis75

Cal should be commenting about that pass. Yeah it was tongue in cheek but That type of play loses games and regardless of who’s playing well or not it’s BENEATH a player like Reed Sheppard. And he seems to do it a fair amount.

Does that diminish his other successes? No. But in order to become the best player possible his mistakes need to be pointed out.

You geniuses will say cal just rolls the ball out… and then get mad when he’s coaching different players based on their individual personalities. Yall think Reed needs to be coddled and have his ego built up? No… but guess who does right now… DJ…

Be happy and think Reed is the second coming of MJ all you want but realize there is ZERO excuse for making a pass like that in that situation. I guarantee you the two people most upset about it are Reed and Jeff Sheppard. Also realize it’s plays like that that have cost us a few games already this year. Kansas being one of them. And the way it’s fixed … by addressing it.
I bet Stacey got on him harder for that pass than Cal even thought about.

Reactions: jameslee32
For some reason, I get the feeling that even though they both will probably get drafted, I think Cal might get upset if Reed goes before D.J. And for the example you gave in your comment, I think Cal made promises in order to get D.J. here and keep him from going to Louisville. I think if D.J. went to Louisville, Cal would see that as diss against him personally and his massive ego would take a big hit.
No chance DJ goes before Reed. Most projections have Reed top 10. DJ mid second round. Not even close.

I don't think you are missing anything. Unless milking the clock late in the game is a concern the goal of every offensive trip down the floor is to not turn the ball over and get a good shot from one of your best shooters. So it's stupid to pass up good shots unless somebody is open for a better shot.

The posts by 2010 in this thread are borderline NUTJOB TINFOIL HAT garbage . And saying borderline is me being nice LOL . Good post Phatty. The Susan posts are pretty funny too. I mean Sheppard is a lock top 10 pick and DJ will go at earliest 15 or 20 . Everyone including Cal knows whats what. Reed doesn't need being pumped up DJ does coming back from injury Good lord some people don't get coaching AT ALL.

Everyone talks about that pass but forgets about our big fouling their guy on the layup for no reason to give them an and-1 that cut it to 3. That was as boneheaded as the pass, maybe more since it gave free points, stopped the clock, & made it a 1 possession game. Either way, we got a huge win and had guys make winning plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT