ADVERTISEMENT

Reed declares

This also should put in perspective the expectations that we will have players playing for name in front of the jersey. Sure that’s an ideal until the money calls …

I can’t wait to log on soon and see some actual good news. It’s been a barrage lately.
Only good news we have seen is the support given by the fans imo.... let's hope the trust isn't misplaced in pope.... not looking good so far. Starting to look like all fluff and hype.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Big LOL to anyone who thought this was ever going to turn out differently
To be honest I’m pretty sure everyone knew he was going to the NBA but I think a lot of people was HOPING he was coming back. He’s different than most of Cal’s players he’s a KENTUCKY boy that’s the reason why some people had hope. Then with the coaching change with Pope’s relationship with the Sheppard’s some thought we had a chance. We will be fine Pope will get a great team together and we will be fine next year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Only good news we have seen is the support given by the fans imo.... let's hope the trust isn't misplaced in pope.... not looking good so far. Starting to look like all fluff and hype.
I’m not going that far, he doesn’t even have his full staff yet but I would like to see some results soon. It just feels worse because every little tidbit has been someone leaving or de committing. It just sucks having it all at once.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Reed could have been a legend at UK. He won't be a star but an average role player at best in the NBA. As I've heard stated millions of times by former NBA players....the real issue isn't can you score or shoot it's can you defend. If he's a defensive liability his career ends quick and he goes to Europe or comes off the bench as a shooter in situations.

iu

JUST KIDDING! Good luck Reed, and mad props for the fun and excitement you brought to this team this year. Wish you all the best and will be cheering hard for you at the next level.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. He was even better than my dreamiest most optimistic hopes for him. A shame I can’t say the same for his coach and team this year.

Well done, young man, hope you have a great NBA career.
I've got this feeling that we're going to look back in 5 years and wonder how Cal could have screwed up a roster so badly that included Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves, and Big Z.

Probably the same way we look back and wonder he screwed up rosters that had Herro, Johnson, PJ, Nick, Quickley and Travis; or underachieved with rosters with multiple max contract guys like Wall/Boogie or Towns/Booker.

Cal is absolutely the best as underachieving with supreme talent.

Reed could have been a legend at UK. He won't be a star but an average role player at best in the NBA. As I've heard stated millions of times by former NBA players....the real issue isn't can you score or shoot it's can you defend. If he's a defensive liability his career ends quick and he goes to Europe or comes off the bench as a shooter in situations.
He will always be remembered but I had hoped his legacy would rivals his fathers not just one personal great year that underachieved greatly.

I've got this feeling that we're going to look back in 5 years and wonder how Cal could have screwed up a roster so badly that included Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves, and Big Z.

Probably the same way we look back and wonder he screwed up rosters that had Herro, Johnson, PJ, Nick, Quickley and Travis; or underachieved with rosters with multiple max contract guys like Wall/Boogie or Towns/Booker.

He is a HOF at wasting talent that is for sure. He has his own wing.

Can't really blame him but gonna hate seeing Cal in the draft room piggybacking off his success.

If he's got a high lottery guarantee, I definitely understand. If he does some workouts and ends up with bad feedback, I hope he keeps his options open.

I love Reed, but I think he looks back and regrets this. Money aside (he would have made a few mil here) getting lost in the NBA or stamping your name in the history books in college. Yes he could possibly do well in the NBA but they would have built a statue here for you.

Reactions: haganjeff
It hasn't even been a week since he was announced. By all accounts they are casting a wide net. These kids all have to make visits, and weigh their options. We can't expect a guy who was just named a few days ago to instantly have guys committing. Don't forget he did already get the kid that went on mission who was ranked pretty high and hopefully Perry pans out to be at least a lite version of Reed. Us, Louisville and Arkansas are all building rosters from scratch. there's a lot of minutes to be had at all three schools which is why we see all theree listed on several guys lists. Hell, the portal hasn't even closed to new adds yet. I'm not writing anything off until this roster is set or we're still facing this issue in May/June.

LOL, get out of here. He's not a legacy player. He didn't do squat in the tournaments. His parents being who they are has ZERO to do with Reed on an individual basis.
Legacy and legend are two different words.

A legacy is someone who attends the college of their parents.
A legend is someone who did something outstanding to be remembered by.

Reed was one of these.

5 years? I’m already wondering how he managed it! I hope we have a great season this winter, but even if it’s not so great I love knowing that I don’t have to listen to Cal’s mouth anymore!

Not unexpected. Still sucks. Pope will probably regret that comment he made Sunday for sure.

Seems like Hurley is the only dude on the planet that doesn’t give two shits about money. Must be nice.

I wish him the best of luck. And he will always be a Cat.

Hard to turn down that much money when you aren’t guaranteed anything in life.

Have fun young man, you gave us joy and I hope you have it for yourself at the next level. Its no longer for fun, its a job now.

Jeff probably saw how recruiting was going and thought “no freakin way”.

I doubt next year's roster played much role in this decision. I could be wrong. He would have had the IT role on the team.

Not sure the team overall does much better.

I love Reed, but I think he looks back and regrets this. Money aside (he would have made a few mil here) getting lost in the NBA or stamping your name in the history books in college. Yes he could possibly do well in the NBA but they would have built a statue here for you.
No one gives a shit about that crap anymore man.
No one. With the rising prices of everything I can’t blame them either.

Legacy and legend are two different words.

A legacy is someone who attends the college of their parents.
A legend is someone who did something outstanding to be remembered by.

Reed was one of these.
Well .... most people conflate the two, and in the context of the conversation it sure seemed to me that someone was implying that Reed was a legend, because he wasn't. I don't see the point of just saying that a kid's parent played here. It says nothing of what he actually did here, or how he'll do going forward. Just as long as we're clear that he wasn't a legend :D

Well .... most people conflate the two, and in the context of the conversation it sure seemed to me that someone was implying that Reed was a legend, because he wasn't. I don't see the point of just saying that a kid's parent played here. It says nothing of what he actually did here, or how he'll do going forward. Just as long as we're clear that he wasn't a legend :D
He most certainly was not a legend..lol

Many fans did take pride in the fact he was a legacy player though. Too bad he didn’t stay long enough to become a legend. Very few had the circumstances he did to be an all-timer at UK.

Sounds like an exceptional career to me.

I think the one that, looking back, now perhaps stands out to me most for colossal underachievement is the 2018 team.

That team had very possibly this year’s NBA MVP in SGA. And it had seven total future NBA players (PJ Washington, SGA, Kevin Knox, Hami Diallo, Nick Richards, Gabriel, Vanderbilt). Nobody else in the country had anything even remotely close to as much pro talent.

Yet, they had a painfully dysfunctional season, lost 11 games, finished a mere 4th in the SEC, and got knocked out of the tourney by a poor 9 seed KSU team playing without its injured best player.

I love Reed ,Offensively he is ready for the NBA, but he is not ready defensively, average guards scored on him constantly this year. I can't imagine what a NBA guard will do to him. But I wish him the Best.
Reed is fantastically skilled and savy and all that but I actually worry about him both ways at the next level right now (and I qualify right now because I think he can develop).

But Reed not only struggled guarding but he also struggled when gaurded aggressively too and had a tendency to pick up his dribble or make panicked passes when they came at him hard. It was almost out of character for a guy like him but he did it a lot and suprpised me. I think he's much better at using his dribble to break pressure than he thought and would yell at him to do that all year and stop shrinking to the pressure.

That needs to be fixed or they will eat him up on the offensive side too. But in the NBA they do play more in space now and if so he will thrive with his passing ability and shooting ability. But he is not ready to break people down yet at that level if guarded tight.

All that said best of luck to him.

Reactions: THE_HOOK
He hasn't even been coach for a week. These things take time. Losing Reed hurts but the sky isn't suddenly falling. All of this news was to be expected. Be patient.

Don’t care about the NBA but I’ll root for him wherever he plays. I appreciate the hard work and heart he put into playing here.

I think the one that, looking back, now perhaps stands out to me most for colossal underachievement is the 2018 team.

That team had very possibly this year’s NBA MVP in SGA. And it had seven total future NBA players (PJ Washington, SGA, Kevin Knox, Hami Diallo, Nick Richards, Gabriel, Vanderbilt). Nobody else in the country had anything even remotely close to as much pro talent.

Yet, they had a painfully dysfunctional season, lost 11 games, finished a mere 4th in the SEC, and got knocked out of the tourney by a poor 9 seed KSU team playing without its injured best player.
That's the game where I lost all hope in Calipari. I went to sleep without watching it, because I gave up the game for lent. Honestly, I felt pretty confident. We had a terrible KSU team waiting for us, and Loyola after that. I felt good.

I was shocked when I woke up the next morning to find out Calipari had failed (again).

I doubled down on my dislike for him the next year when he did basically the same thing in the Elite Eight against a battered and bruised Auburn team that we had beaten twice already that season. That 2019 team featured five guys who would go on to average double digit scoring in the NBA (including two guys who have had 20+ point per game NBA seasons). They lost to an Auburn team that only had one future scrub NBA player. It's almost unfathomable.

Last edited:
I’m not surprised but I sure hope he’s making the right decision here. I don’t know why, but this feels like he isn’t going to get picked up in the lottery and fall to mid-late first round. A lot of warts on his game showed up late in the season. His defense was always bad. He’s got quick hands but so does everyi

I think he made the decision when the coach was hired. Zero chance he would risk his stock coming back to play for a total unproven coach who probably won’t bring in more than 1-2 players at Reeds talent level. He would have been swarmed all year and his offense taken a dip.

I do wonder if he’s going to be able to have success in the league. Especially the first year or two. Atleast he’ll have that big rookie deal.

Anyone who thought he was coming back was crazy! His dream is to play in the NBA, he’ll accomplish that and make tens of millions doing it.

He’d be crazy if he stayed! Best of luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT