ADVERTISEMENT

Reed-CJ

but they do have pretty similar skill sets.
I don’t really see this being the case.

CJ was a rather one dimensional pure wing who could only play at the 2/3 spots. Whereas Reed has real point guard skills in addition to being able to play the wing. And Reed is also just at a different level in terms of quickness, athleticism, driving ability and defensive potential. He has a far more versatile skill set.

Last edited:
One thing reed does, not necessarily A bad thing, but his dribble is kind of funny. Even when he's 3/4 full speed he dribbles the ball to his side rather than in front. But hey it seems to work for him. it wouldn't for me.

No. I expected CJ to come off the bench and hit 3’s, which he didn’t.

Reed is a complete player and the smartest guy on any court.

CJ isn’t even in the same galaxy as Reed.

100% agree minus the smartest guy on any court. Hyperbole cringe.

Reactions: UK90
Lol..Reed Sheppard is a legit 5* prospect with a versatile skill set..CJ Frederick is a spot up shooter who didn’t sniff the MCD all star team..there is no comparison between the 2..IMO, Reed will carve out a nice career in the NBA..he’s still a pup..only going to get better

CJ had injuries yes… but he had more than enough time to recover fully from them. The dude had plenty of chances and just couldn’t shoot. I’m sure he’ll burn the nets now that he’s at Cincinnati, but here? He didn’t do much of anything. Reed is a better player as a freshman than CJ was as a senior and it isn’t particularly close.

I used to in my playing days which lasted until I was about 36 years old playing pick up mostly hit about 90% of my free throws sometimes 10 out of 10. But you stepto the line to shoot 10 and your first three don't go in and you say oh oh and you miss some more. Confidence is everything. You guys that have played a lot of ball understand what I'm saying. CJ lost his somewhere along the line. I hope he gets it back and shoots 50% for the Bearcats

I used to in my playing days which lasted until I was about 36 years old playing pick up mostly hit about 90% of my free throws sometimes 10 out of 10. But you stepto the line to shoot 10 and your first three don't go in and you say oh oh and you miss some more. Confidence is everything. You guys that have played a lot of ball understand what I'm saying. CJ lost his somewhere along the line. I hope he gets it back and shoots 50% for the Bearcats
I'd say those injuries probably had a lot to do with the confidence. I think this will be CJ's first summer that he isn't rehabbing an injury.

100% about confidence!

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
fwiw, last year I was told this by a family member but I was asked to keep it quiet. I guess it doesn't matter now, but CJ had some kind of monitoring system on his hamstring for most of the season and it limited his minutes. They felt that re-injury probability was very high with CJ (Iunderstandably). I have to believe that played a significant role in the year he had versus what as fans we thought he was capable of doing. Essentially he never had the green light to go full out.

One thing reed does, not necessarily A bad thing, but his dribble is kind of funny. Even when he's 3/4 full speed he dribbles the ball to his side rather than in front. But hey it seems to work for him. it wouldn't for me.
He's the most in-control player that I can remember since Kyle ("Carl") Macy. Or my memory is playing tricks with me. I remember Macy initiating the offense from that exaggerated upright position. Most players have a bit more of a crouch in their style. Sheppard looks like an admiral directing a fleet.

That’s so that longer arms can’t swipe it away. Kid is super smart and knows where the next play is before it happens.

CJ had some really serious injuries. They weren’t sprains and bruises.

It was a minor miracle that he was able to play D1 ball at all.

But a healthy CJ was nowhere near as good as Reed.

Reactions: Zissou87
CJ had some really serious injuries. They weren’t sprains and bruises.

It was a minor miracle that he was able to play D1 ball at all.

But a healthy CJ was nowhere near as good as Reed.
Then Reed is destined to be SEC Rookie of the Year. Awesome!

Reed is worlds better than CJ. If you look at CJ at Iowa he led the country I believe in 3pt Pct. his last year there. But look at how many 3s he actually shot. It wasn't many.
I think CJ would have been a very solid player if healthy at UK. But Reed has a legit shot at being a NBA player. I am not saying he will be. I am saying he has a legit shot. He is better than CJ if CJ had been 100% healthy.

fwiw, last year I was told this by a family member but I was asked to keep it quiet. I guess it doesn't matter now, but CJ had some kind of monitoring system on his hamstring for most of the season and it limited his minutes. They felt that re-injury probability was very high with CJ (Iunderstandably). I have to believe that played a significant role in the year he had versus what as fans we thought he was capable of doing. Essentially he never had the green light to go full out.
That was what I was hearing was that CJ lost some of his bounce due to some serious injuries. He was looking like he turned the corner and broke his ribs against UF. Really hope Reed just keeps getting better. Really liked Red’s game in high school.

Reed is worlds better than CJ. If you look at CJ at Iowa he led the country I believe in 3pt Pct. his last year there. But look at how many 3s he actually shot. It wasn't many.
I think CJ would have been a very solid player if healthy at UK. But Reed has a legit shot at being a NBA player. I am not saying he will be. I am saying he has a legit shot. He is better than CJ if CJ had been 100% healthy.
Reed is an NBA player. Only question is how many years we have him before then. I've thought 2 for a while. But he may be a Herro and we only get one.

Reactions: rob_47
Is Reed what we were hoping CJ would be for us. CJ just had some bad injuries and never was healthy his whole time here. Hope he heals up and has a great year.
Sheppard has tools in his kit that CJ never had. CJ was never healthy, in my opinion, the entire time he was at UK. I hated it for him. Even when he played, he never looked comfortable. I'm not sure if he was feeling extra pressure, being a Kentucky kid, or if he just wasn't fully healthy. But there is no doubt, I'm sure everyone wanted him to play well and contribute. I just don't think he was ever at full strength.

And I agree- I hope Fredrick does well this season. I don't have many good wishes for Cincinnati but I hope CJ has a good year.

Reed is an NBA player. Only question is how many years we have him before then. I've thought 2 for a while. But he may be a Herro and we only get one.
I think if we get 2 it will be because he wants to leave somewhat of a legacy. I think the nba will be an "option" after this year. I think his sophomore year would be a huge year for his personal stats. It just comes down to whether he cares about that. In a sense I already know he is just about winning but huge stats will go along with that if he returns.

That was what I was hearing was that CJ lost some of his bounce due to some serious injuries. He was looking like he turned the corner and broke his ribs against UF. Really hope Reed just keeps getting better. Really liked Red’s game in high school.
Would u stop. Like the other poster said only similar is the color of their skin, my goodness. CJ couldn’t carry Reeds jockstrap on his very best day.

I think he is and you don’t think he is, ahhh opinions! Cringe when everyone don’t agree with ya, huh?
IF you honestly think that well......LMAO. As 88 said soooo cringe and if I have to say why well that's even more cringe . At least you didn't drop edwards was well spoken or someother nonsense. With all that being said Reed is badass player and if we can keep him 2 years I will be thrilled. While Wagner is the most talented UK player since Fox , Edwards is close behind as is Reed.

IF you honestly think that well......LMAO. As 88 said soooo cringe and if I have to say why well that's even more cringe . At least you didn't drop edwards was well spoken or someother nonsense. With all that being said Reed is badass player and if we can keep him 2 years I will be thrilled. While Wagner is the most talented UK player since Fox , Edwards is close behind as is Reed.

It’s cringe that I think Reed is the smartest guy on the court and you don’t, cool. You have the right to think what you want. 🙂

But frankly, I don’t care what you think and I don’t value what you have to say. So you might want to try with someone who will give you the time of day.

It’s cringe that I think Reed is the smartest guy on the court and you don’t, cool. You have the right to think what you want. 🙂
To be accurate, you said he’s the smartest guy on “any” court (…as if ole Curry and Jokic could learn a thing or two from him). That is a rather absurd declaration to be making after only a few relaxed summer exhibitions. We haven’t even seen him play a real game yet.

I don't see the comparison between CJ and Reed either. Reed is so much better in most all categories and particularly on defense where there is a huge gap between the two. CJ coukd never truly be relied upon to run the point where Reed does extremely well. I feel Reed is also way more Athletic. Reed also moves much better without the ball. There was a reason Reed was a McDonald's All American and CJ was not. Just two very different players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT