ADVERTISEMENT

Reed and Rob at Draft Lottery

Last four seasons:

3 lottery picks (Sheppard, Dillingham, Wallace).
5 to 7 first round picks (counting Reeves and possibly Edwards).
1 National Player of the Year (Oscar).
8 to 9 NBA draft picks.
12 to 14 future or current NBA players.

One tournament win.

Anything Pope does will be an instant upgrade, given the level of talent we've had with the absence of substantial payoff.

Top 4 picks belong to in some order

Washington 14% chance (came in #2)
San Antonio 10.5% chance (came in #5)
Houston via Brooklyn's pick 4.5% (came in #9)
Atlanta 3% (came in #10)

That Brooklyn trade ouch giving Houston unprotected 1st

I love Reed, and he's a very fine player... but heart can't convince my eyes and brain that Reed should be a lottery pick. I know I'll be beaten up for that, but I just don't see it. He's not nearly quick enough to be a great defender on thr NBA level. He has a great shot, yes, but he seemed shy about it a lot. For every great pass, there was a low level Freshman pass attempt. Really not trying to bash the kid. Again, I like Reed, and he's a fine player. I just don't see lottery level. Yeah yeah, I know the rebuttal is; "potential" and "still young". I know. We'll see.

I don't love how the NBA draft gives that much of a chance for the not-so-bad teams to get the 1st pick.

But won't complain this year! Rockets grabbed the 3rd overall. Physched for that.

I love Reed, and he's a very fine player... but heart can't convince my eyes and brain that Reed should be a lottery pick. I know I'll be beaten up for that, but I just don't see it. He's not nearly quick enough to be a great defender on thr NBA level. He has a great shot, yes, but he seemed shy about it a lot. For every great pass, there was a low level Freshman pass attempt. Really not trying to bash the kid. Again, I like Reed, and he's a fine player. I just don't see lottery level. Yeah yeah, I know the rebuttal is; "potential" and "still young". I know. We'll see.
I agree and hope I am wrong and he is an all star eventually.

I know the money is a huge thing but I’d think he would have got better advice from Jeff. Jeff was bigger, stronger and older and he didn’t make it long in the nba. Now maybe a senior Reed would be stronger but he’s not now. I hope he makes it but I’m not sure if I had the power to pick, that I would take him.

Sheppard has the “it” factor. He is a great shooter but one who loves to set his teammates up also. He’s also smarter than the average bear. He sees the whole court and anticipates the next pass better than anyone else. Maybe he’s not greedy enough to seek his own shot and that may not translate well in the NBA, but any superstar would love to have him on his team setting up the plays. Time will tell.

I know the money is a huge thing but I’d think he would have got better advice from Jeff. Jeff was bigger, stronger and older and he didn’t make it long in the nba. Now maybe a senior Reed would be stronger but he’s not now. I hope he makes it but I’m not sure if I had the power to pick, that I would take him.
Yeah, I don't blame him one bit for jumping on this money. It's a no brainer.

This was absolutely the best individual decision that Reed could make . Staying four years would have been the worst decision .

This is looking like it could be the worst draft ever in a lot of folks eyes . That alone made it a good decision by Reed to me .

I think you can almost guarantee Reed or Dilly going to the spurs. They need a guard to go with Wemby and 99.9% sure one will be there for them.

I personally want to stay away from the Uconn guys, just because I think they might be a litttttle bit more of system players. Where as Cal held back guys like Reed and Dilly.. Hurley made guy like Hawkins and Castle. That's not to say they aren't great players.. but I think you could be making a mistake taking them as high as they rated.

Has there ever been a team in the history of college basketball that had top top 5 picks but still lost in the first round?
DePaul lost their first tournament game in 1981 with Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings, who were top 5 picks in 1981 and 1982, respectively.

However, that was technically a second round game, since byes existed then.

Yah, I feel the same way. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get passed on by several teams and falls to the teens.

This was absolutely the best individual decision that Reed could make . Staying four years would have been the worst decision .

This is looking like it could be the worst draft ever in a lot of folks eyes . That alone made it a good decision by Reed to me .
Four? Who's suggesting that? He didn't even stay two years. And his game clearly needs work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT