ADVERTISEMENT

Reed and NIL

Apr 11, 2024
The trendy argument for Reed is that he has to go to the NBA because of draft status. The truth is, there is a good chance he would earn more next year at Kentucky than as a 7th or 8th pick in the NBA. With NIL and local endorsement opportunities, plus the issue of his legacy, I lean towards the fact that he comes back. People are making coming back the hard decision and I think leaving would be the hardest decision. Pope mentioned legacy in his press conference. Being a legend and hero at UK has more long lasting effect on your life than an NBA career. You have a place to return to when you are done with many opportunities for the rest of your life. Just my .02 cents on the matter

The trendy argument for Reed is that he has to go to the NBA because of draft status. The truth is, there is a good chance he would earn more next year at Kentucky than as a 7th or 8th pick in the NBA. With NIL and local endorsement opportunities, plus the issue of his legacy, I lean towards the fact that he comes back. People are making coming back the hard decision and I think leaving would be the hardest decision. Pope mentioned legacy in his press conference. Being a legend and hero at UK has more long lasting effect on your life than an NBA career. You have a place to return to when you are done with many opportunities for the rest of your life. Just my .02 cents on the matter
That’s only one year and assuming he can get close to 8 million a year. That won’t be easy or realistic IMO. Then there is the issue that it’s no guarantee he keeps that same stock in a different draft. Nor the fact that the contract is guaranteed for 4 years, so 20+ million more overall and an option year after that. Then he get endorsements on top there too.

It really just comes down to what he wants. His legacy at UK won’t have the bang if he leaves. If this is about money first, he’s gone. If it’s about anything else he’s back.

We’ve done what we can, we’ve shown him unwavering support. We hired a coach who’s best friends with his dad. We’ve made Kentucky about him and the keys are his this season. He can also make millions by coming back, and he can also be seen as “the savior” of Kentucky basketball in ways.

I don’t agree with many here. I think over the long haul he stands to gain a lot by coming back. We’re talking about potentially being the senator or governor one day lol.

I still think he probably returns. By coming back he can have both the NBA and an incredible Kentucky legacy. By leaving he gives half of that up. I don’t entertain the “but injuries” stuff. His family is religious and they don’t make decisions based off of that. It’s also not something he should really consider because even if he gets injured 95% of the time it’ll heal just fine. People that think that way believe like is just random, that’s not what the Sheppards believe. Kentucky is going to take care of Reed Sheppard for life, he doesn’t need not have to get the instant NBA money today.

Not to mention, Reed is not ready for the NBA so you could easily be hurting his career long term by jumping too soon.

That’s only one year and assuming he can get close to 8 million a year. That won’t be easy or realistic IMO. Then there is the issue that it’s no guarantee he keeps that same stock in a different draft. Nor the fact that the contract is guaranteed for 4 years, so 20+ million more overall and an option year after that. Then he get endorsements on top there too.
While true he might not keep same draft spot if he returns. Something even more likely is that by going 1 year later he would be stronger, very possibly a better defender, more physically ready to play vs grown-ass Men, and thus have a better chance to progress more rapidly, such that he probably could better maximize his 2nd contract value (the one that is generational life changing).

Also, something people ignore, more than “legacy”, is that he’s still a young kid just a year out of high school from a small town with n KY no where near a big city. So he may want 1 more year to enjoy “the college experience “ before having to start Adulting, and living on his own in some big city with no family close.

There is zero possibility he earns more next year than as the 3rd pick in the draft. Endorsements are not going to just go away. As the 7th pick, his salary would be $5.7 million and that doesn’t include any endorsements. Let’s say that all works out to $7 million.

The biggest thing for me, is will he gamble a for sure top 10 pick to come back? Could he move up? Potentially….but that’s insanely risky. If he was to drop 10 spors from 7 to 17, he would lose a guaranteed $7.5 million over his first 3 years.

Reactions: sefus12
Comes down to wether or not he’s one of Cal’s entitled players and cares more about the name on the back than the name in the front.
Now now this is a little harsh and unfair. He definitely isn't a Cal entitled player. He shined despite Cal. He put the work in himself so kudos to him. This decision is not easy. He has the chance to be in the league. He has the chance for guaranteed money. He is a great kid that is torn. He bleeds blue and has his whole life. I personally think he should stay. The NBA is a grinder. Playing against real men that are just as talented. He disappeared when things got physical this year. He is the real deal talent wise. Another year of seasoning would be great. Also, next years NBA draft will be weak too. Come back. Help UK explode. Cement legend status. Go to NBA next year. What I would do most likely. If he leaves now, he will always question what could have "been". But get that lloyds of London policy. Plus College was and is soooo much fun. He has plenty of time to be a man later.

While true he might not keep same draft spot if he returns. Something even more likely is that by going 1 year later he would be stronger, very possibly a better defender, more physically ready to play vs grown-ass Men, and thus have a better chance to progress more rapidly, such that he probably could better maximize his 2nd contract value (the one that is generational life changing).

Also, something people ignore, more than “legacy”, is that he’s still a young kid just a year out of high school from a small town with n KY no where near a big city. So he may want 1 more year to enjoy “the college experience “ before having to start Adulting, and living on his own in some big city with no family close.
I agree with those points but how often have those ever won out over the draft? That’s why I’m not getting my hopes up.

Wrong.

Plus it's better to think long term than short term. I want him to come back as much as anyone, but I don't think it's the smart thing for him to do. Plus, his draft status isn't going to get better and there's a good chance it gets worse.

I think he leaves but it’s gonna be a harder decision for him than people think. I think his heart is telling him to stay, but is head is telling him to go

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Just like Fox and Monk and all the others who left before him. They may think they’re ready, but they aren’t remembered as much as someone who comes back and takes on a legacy role. How long did it take for Monk to make an impact on his team? New team, 3-4 years?
Imagine this, playing 2 years now at UK impacts the legacy you try to attain here.
Reed may think he’s ready talent wise, but when he goes to San Antonio, and they are 21-50 and play insignificant games in April, It should matter as to where he leaves his standing as a UK player.
;

So the standards that apply to all the other one and done mercenaries don’t apply to Reed Sheppard? Y’all love talking about the name on the front being more important than the name on back, if he cares more about the name on the front he will be back. If it’s about the name on the back he will be another one and done entitled mercenary.
Yea, you’re not a real fan. You just came here to stir the pot.

Just like Fox and Monk and all the others who left before him. They may think they’re ready, but they aren’t remembered as much as someone who comes back and takes on a legacy role. How long did it take for Monk to make an impact on his team? New team, 3-4 years?
Imagine this, playing 2 years now at UK impacts the legacy you try to attain here.
Reed may think he’s ready talent wise, but when he goes to San Antonio, and they are 21-50 and play insignificant games in April, It should matter as to where he leaves his standing as a UK player.
;
Reed is a legend after his freshman year. If he wants to come back, we will all be ecstatic. But if he’s making a business decision (and basketball is his business/career), then taking the guaranteed money as a lottery pick is the smart correct choice. He’s going to develop more skills/get stronger in the NBA than he would in college, and he will make significantly more money in the NBA (assuming he’s a lottery pick) than he would in NIL.

I agree with those points but how often have those ever won out over the draft? That’s why I’m not getting my hopes up.
That's why I'm not saying "he will return", but rather "he might choose to return", and there are both financial and personal reasons why if he made that decision it could make sense (more than lecacy or NIL, although those could be 2 additional contributing factors). I give it anywhere from 30-70% odds that he returns.

Reactions: Fox2monk
;
Monk is a player who had he stayed another year, maybe he would have gotten a bigger 2nd contract.

Reactions: KMKAT and Girthang
So the standards that apply to all the other one and done mercenaries don’t apply to Reed Sheppard? Y’all love talking about the name on the front being more important than the name on back, if he cares more about the name on the front he will be back. If it’s about the name on the back he will be another one and done entitled mercenary.

Sheppard would be in the it makes sense one and done category. Like wall, cousins, ad, towns, murray, Monk, fox, etc.

People take issue with the ones who leave that aren't first round picks.

Reactions: Ugoff
With regards to the money thing - there is one thing about college vs pro. In pro he has to give a large percentage to an agent, a massive percentage to taxes (no clue how NIL is taxed), has to pay 6 figures to a trainer, 6 figures for rent, buy a car, pay for meals, etc etc. In college he has to pay taxes on NIL and nothing else.

The money is better in NBA I’m sure, but it’s also not MASSIVELY more when you factor expenses. Tim Duncan turned down being a top pick like 3 years in a row. At least I can hope 😂

Reactions: KMKAT and Girthang
Reed would absolutely be a legend if he came back, but as the other posters have said, either way he goes, neither way is a wrong answer.

Reactions: KFuqua

Looks like ComodeArtist has two accounts.

Adulting is a lot easier when you've got the kind of money these kids have.

The argument for Reed going now is contradictory to the same argument that our "realistic" fans made concerning Hurley coming here:

At what point, when you're a millionaire, do you trade money for happiness?

Reed has the same chance that Hurley did: make tens of millions of dollars when he leaves UK (and probably $2 to 4 million while at UK) but do so on a timeline that makes him happy. Hurley said there's a point where you have so much money, that the extra earnings don't even make that much of a difference.

Reed will have the same opportunity.

If he leaves UK now, he'll get that extra $5 million in a career earnings collection that will probably total $100 million by the time he's done.

But if he stays, he still becomes a millionaire, becomes legendary as "Pope's first real elite guy" (just like Pitino had Mashburn), and become a statewide hero for the rest of his life.

How is that different than the Hurley logic so many of you were employing last week?

Answer: it's not.

We can reason through this all we want. We can try to sway opinion with whichever way we lean. We can try to shame him into coming back, or try to shame him into leaving for the keague. Neither of the latter 2 look good.

Facts-
-His parents and advisors have been over ALL of this with him already for many weeks.
-He's been thinking about this for weeks or maybe even months.
-If it was an easy decision, he'd have made it already.
-That it's not an easy decision means more to me than him coming back.
-The only way his "legacy" at UK is tarnished is if he transfers to Arkansas.

He's a KY boy first and foremost who's made the commonwealth proud. He has a legacy for that reason alone. Could he build it into legendary status with a return? Absolutely. Could he use more development time that he didn't get last season? Sure.

He will develop here (now that Cal is gone) or develop there regardless. I wish him the best either way. No shame. No guilt. It's just a decision that he needs to make on his own.

Reed's situation is rare, and difficult to predict. He does not represent the generational poverty we've heard so much about. He seems to come from a loving, intact, successful family. I doubt he's wanted for much. 2, 4, 8 million, he's gonna be fine, his lifestyle won't be dramatically changed. Most of the 1 and done players we've had carried the extra burden of taking care of their whole family. It's hard to tell them to suffer another year. Reed's family will be fine either way.
When I look at him, his physicality. He looks years behind former 1AD. The best comparison to his game would be Hero. Hero seemed older when he left, like he could move around the court, and defend, a bigger body type. Young Reed looks like he'd get pushed around. Bodied off the 3 point line. I think he needs another year to thicken up. But there's status and bragging rights that go along with an early draft pick. That matters a lot to people in his position. More so than the money. He'll be rich either way.

Please stop with the money is similar argument. He leaves he’s guaranteed around 20 million. He wouldn’t get that if he stayed at UK for 4 years with NIL. His decision is one where emotions are in play, if it was only the money aspect it would be a no brainer.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
The argument for Reed going now is contradictory to the same argument that our "realistic" fans made concerning Hurley coming here:

At what point, when you're a millionaire, do you trade money for happiness?

Reed has the same chance that Hurley did: make tens of millions of dollars when he leaves UK (and probably $2 to 4 million while at UK) but do so on a timeline that makes him happy. Hurley said there's a point where you have so much money, that the extra earnings don't even make that much of a difference.

Reed will have the same opportunity.

If he leaves UK now, he'll get that extra $5 million in a career earnings collection that will probably total $100 million by the time he's done.

But if he stays, he still becomes a millionaire, becomes legendary as "Pope's first real elite guy" (just like Pitino had Mashburn), and become a statewide hero for the rest of his life.

How is that different than the Hurley logic so many of you were employing last week?

Answer: it's not.
Awful analogy

Hurley has a guaranteed contract already and is getting a raise. Reed hasn't been drafted. He could get injured next year or have a down year and drop in the draft. Nothing is guaranteed for Reed next year if he stays.

Selfishly, I want him here. Realistically, he should go to the draft.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Are you slow or something? Obviously it’s different than someone like Z as Reed has a legit change at being a lottery pick, while Z has a legit chance to flail around in cals shit ass system being misused and accomplishing nothing, while he would most like flourish in Popes.

I personally think he comes back, Jeff wants his Son to play for Pope 1 season.
Our fan base would be so beside themselves.

You wouldn't be able to keep Sheppard denim jerseys in stock!

Can Sheppard get a jersey/shoe cut to keep him here?

The first uni/shoe deal for a collegian? Is it possible?

Jordan in his movie asked for a 25% royalty after being drafted. Why do you have to wait to be drafted to get a shoe deal? The UK/15 shoe would be OOS immediately!

Our fan base would be so beside themselves.

You wouldn't be able to keep Sheppard denim jerseys in stock!

Can Sheppard get a jersey/shoe cut to keep him here?

The first uni/shoe deal for a collegian? Is it possible?

Jordan in his movie asked for a 25% royalty after being drafted. Why do you have to wait to be drafted to get a shoe deal? The UK/15 shoe would be OOS immediately!
Sounds like a good idea to me😎

Reactions: KMKAT
Not sure what he will do. I was all in on him leaving and going to the next level till we got to the NCAA game. For whatever reason, he did not show up. Lights to bright, to big of a stage for him, hit the freshman wall..... Ect.

Basketball IQ, he is more than ready. But it's his consistency that needs work. For a player that does not jump off the page at you with elite athleticism, you have to be well disciplined and consistent. You only have realisticly one shot. Once you know you can get drafted, it's making sure your good enough to make it to that second contract. If you don't have that elite athleticism to fall back on, you have to make sure your mentality is solid before you make the jump. I think that's where staying in college a year more, maybe even two to mature and make sure you have the best chance to get to the second contract comes into play.

A few things not everybody seems to be considering but the Sheppards might:

1. Most NBA players don't make much in endorsements until after they become stars.
2. His NIL money in Kentucky will continue for a long time if he returns but won't be
nearly as much if he goes NBA this year.
3. NBA contracts have been going up every year and a contract at the same draft position
next year will likely pay more than one this year.

Lol, 0 chance.

Reactions: Wildcatedward
I think he sees a fall in the projections after all the pre draft stuff and international entrants are included. Mid to late teens is my guess.

He got absolutely owned by the Oakland scheme and those guys won’t see a wnba starting spot. He’s simply not ready and I’m willing to bet his parents feel the same way. If he were on any other team last year he probably wouldn’t even be a first rounder. I think he could improve his nba career a ton by coming back and getting faster and stronger and better on defense. If he can’t stay with a soon to be insurance salesman, imagine trying to keep up with Steph curry trying to get open for a shot.

Reactions: RobEStacy
Didn’t read all those posts but I know the arguments

Reed could stay 3 years, get his degree and pull down several million in NIL. For argument’s sake let’s say 4 million.

His first NBA contract will add some more, let’s say 5 million.

The second contract is where the huge money is. Reed getting one has no dependence on his leaving now.

Assume he doesn’t get a second one.

Stay three years, have a degree and wind up with 9 million. Leave, no degree, and wind up with 5 million.

Gets a second one and what went before doesn’t really matter. A single second contract is worth more money than anyone would ever need.

The intangibles? Playing three years at the school you love, a state hero forever, maybe some NCAA hardware.

To me this decision is really a no-brainer.

If you’re Reed and his family you have to take the emotional part out and look at facts. What’s the smart move? It’s easy to say what you would do because you’re never going to be on that position. It’s all for fun for us but it’s his future we’re talking about. If he goes on to the NBA let’s not bash the kid. He loves UK but it’s his life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT