ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Paul Skeens is gonna be a good one for the Pirates. Second career start today took a no-hitter into the 7th and they pulled him from the game, one walk 11 strikeouts getting his first win against the Cubs.

Skeen today gave my fantasy team 30 points for a 174-85 lead overall this week. Happy about that performance. Not that anyone here gives a shit.

KKKKKruz has 2 HR and 5 RBI in his last 85 ab's (23 games) hitting .232 during that span. I knew it had gotten bad but not like this. Were it not for his one decent game a week he'd be one of the worst hitters in MLB.

I had predicted 90 losses earlier this month, and this no-count team will prove me wrong. They're liable to hit 90 losses before Labor Day.

KKKKKruz has 2 HR and 5 RBI in his last 85 ab's (23 games) hitting .232 during that span. I knew it had gotten bad but not like this. Were it not for his one decent game a week he'd be one of the worst hitters in MLB.
I get that you're no fan of Elly, but you realize that even if he was at .232 for the whole season, that's still pretty good compared to most of the rest of these skunks?

I get that you're no fan of Elly, but you realize that even if he was at .232 for the whole season, that's still pretty good compared to most of the rest of these skunks?
You can't rationalize with a tool. He knows it all and don't want to argue baseball with him. cole854 will just tell you to stay in your lane and are way out of your league talking baseball with him. Go pick up pickleball lol.

I pull for him to succeed as i do the team, ever since my first WS game as a kid in 72, but I am also a realist unlike many on here, Sadak, and the homers who go over the top w/ his one good game a week antics. Never mind the woeful hitting, errors, and baserunning blunders. The media and the clueless fans have built him up into something he can never be....a superstar who can carry a team.

He has potential, but at this stage, the improvements just aren't there. The "on pace" comments are ridiculously ignorant, as were those who thought he turned the corner a month ago after a week of good games. His May numbers are that of a rookie straight out of A ball.

Time will tell, but if you are truly building a team, then he needs better players around him. He isn't the "better player" around others.

I am glad to see pitchers like Andrew Abbott getting rewarded with a win for their effort on the mound. Consecutive games going 7 innings. 7 scoreless with 4 hits, 1 BB on 92 pitches. He is one of the most under the radar pitchers in baseball with his 2.68 ERA on the year. Just goes out there and does his job. His pitching gives the Reds a chance to win every game. Even with little run support, Abbott still finds a way to give the Reds quality start nearly every time out there.

Reactions: dtjr
Last edited:
I was at the game tonight and Abbot was fantastic and I loved the win. Having said that, the offense was atrocious. Who are these guys? Espinal and Canderalio should not be anywhere near an MLB roster

I just looked up the hitting stats. I want to barf! 🤮🤮🤮🤮

.217 team average. Got to be the worst in the MLB.

Bring him up, heck I’d take 75 year old Johnny Bench at this point.
Kid went to Wright State after Glen Este high school in Cincinnati.
Drafted by the Marlins in the 3rd round but has been traded and released a couple of times which is how he is now in the Reds organization. Right now batting .214........

The other outfielders in Louisville are not much better currently.

The Reds may need to revisit their hitting philosophy for the whole organization.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
I am glad to see pitchers like Andrew Abbott getting rewarded with a win for their effort on the mound. Consecutive games going 7 innings. 7 scoreless with 4 hits, 1 BB on 92 pitches. He is one of the most under the radar pitchers in baseball with his 2.68 ERA on the year. Just goes out there and does his job. His pitching gives the Reds a chance to win every game. Even with little run support, Abbott still finds a way to give the Reds quality start nearly every time out there.
I think in the long run, he may prove to be the most consistent and durable pitcher on the roster for years to come, or until he’s traded.

Hopefully the injury bug will subside and they get some guys back soon.

That isn't going to help. The guys on the IL aren't very good either.

McClain needs to go ahead and call it a year. Get 100%, play winter ball, and come back in the spring ready to go.

The Ford/Martinez experiments need to end immediately. These re-treads were horrible acquisitions from day 1.

Go find a few young'uns in A ball to at least be excited to be in the show. They won't be any worse than what takes the field for this team.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Just can't continue to field a lineup with 4-6 spots being held down by guys "hitting" under .200 plus another 2-3 barely over .200. Scan your minor league team for guys hitting over .300, call them up and stick their ass on the field. Of course, the Reds won't do that because they don't want to "start their clock" as if the Reds will sign these guys long term....yeah, right.

There really isn't anyone close they can call up that will make a difference in this lineup tomorrow. It is not going to change overnight without Krall going out there and make some trade. Chattanooga doesn't have one hitter above .233.

About the only person having a solid year in Louisville that hasn't had a shot yet is Levi Jordan who brings little to no power. Same with Livan Soto who is another Espinal but I suppose he deserves a shot over some of these guys here doing nothing. The Burdick dude who crushed the 500 foot home run has shown nothing to suggest he can do this consistent, though I think it is worth giving him a shot since everyone is seems to be getting one with that kind of power he has.

Even one of our own top prospects Cam Collier is only a .230 hitter in Single A. He is far from ready to contribute. The only thing the front office should be doing is looking to trade prospects for major league ready talent now to help this lineup.

Counting today....KKKKKruz is 3 for his last 25 w/ 11 K's, and another base running blunder.

Dann Bilardello available?

Stephenson sitting for Maile at any time is typical Bell.

Reds have to be leading the league in different lineups per game.....which isn't a good thing.

Reactions: maysvilleky
It must be an unwritten rule that every time the opposing team hits a fly ball to the outfield we have to have two outfielders almost collide. It's total bullshit. That's what irritates me about Bell. Fundamentally pathetic every year he manages.

Last edited:
Reactions: cole854
Nothing is going to change. This roster is full of garbage AAA players at best and you all need to just accept the fact it isn't going to change whether you like it or not. Front Office isn't going to do a damn thing to fix it. Like I said a couple weeks ago, it's okay to admit this isn't our year. Expecting them to win anything with this bunch is delusional.

There really isn't anyone close they can call up that will make a difference in this lineup tomorrow. It is not going to change overnight without Krall going out there and make some trade. Chattanooga doesn't have one hitter above .233.

About the only person having a solid year in Louisville that hasn't had a shot yet is Levi Jordan who brings little to no power. Same with Livan Soto who is another Espinal but I suppose he deserves a shot over some of these guys here doing nothing. The Burdick dude who crushed the 500 foot home run has shown nothing to suggest he can do this consistent, though I think it is worth giving him a shot since everyone is seems to be getting one with that kind of power he has.

Even one of our own top prospects Cam Collier is only a .230 hitter in Single A. He is far from ready to contribute. The only thing the front office should be doing is looking to trade prospects for major league ready talent now to help this lineup.
2 years ago I went on a rant here about the Reds failures in the minor league system and for the decades of being a bottom feeder with favorable draft position...Where in the hell has been our transcendent talent like an Acuna, Soto, Harper or Judge than can carry the load offensively for this team? You would think with all of this losing they could have mustered up more than just Joey Votto in that time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
2 years ago I went on a rant here about the Reds failures in the minor league system and for the decades of being a bottom feeder with favorable draft position...Where in the hell has been our transcendent talent like an Acuna, Soto, Harper or Judge than can carry the load offensively for this team? You would think with all of this losing they could have mustered up more than just Joey Votto in that time.
Incompetence and cheap skates in the front office for one. Also, failure to properly develop these prospects coming up through the ranks outside of ones who are destined to be stars with talent anyways. Hell, look at Marte, CES & Steer. Had to be developed for the most part by their previous organizations.

1st Round Picks since the Castellini's took over.

2006 Drew Stubbs - Meh. not really worth a 1st round pick. Disappointing.
2007 Devin Mesoraco, All-Star before injuries derailed his career.
Todd Frazier, good pick.
Kyle Lotzkar, WTF is that?
2008 Yonder Alonso, did nothing here. Decent career but not 1st round worthy. Really only 2 good years in the Majors.
2009 Mike Leake, solid pitcher.
Brad Boxberger, did nothing here but had an All-Star career and led the league in saves one year.
2010 Yasmani Grandal, used PEDs and did nothing here. Fairly decent for a few years in LA.
2011 Robert Stephenson, a joke here and most of his career. Decent the last couple of years but injured for the rest of the year.
2012 Jesse Winker, great pick
Jeff Gelalich never made it out of A Ball in the Reds system. Fizzed out in AAA in 2017 with CWS.
Nick Travieso - fizzed out in AA.
2013 Phil Ervin, such a joke
Michael Lorenzen a good pick.
2014 Nick Howard - joke
Alex Blandino - joke
2015 Tyler Stephenson - Good pick, shown some signs of life recently and good early on.
2016 Nick Senzel - LMFAO
Taylor Trammell - joke
2017 Hunter Greene - Good pick, looks like he is finally rounding the corner for good recently.
Jeter Downs - joke
2018 Jonathan India - Good pick, 2021 Rookie of the Year. Mostly disappointing dealing with prolonged slumps, injuries and a few bright spots here and there since '21. Has to do more though.
2019 Nick Lodolo - Good pick, still high on him if he can stay healthy.
2020 Austin Hendrick - joke. Not progressing whatsoever in the pipeline.
2021 Jay Allen - disappointing, not really progressing either.
2022 Cam Collier & Sal Stewart - Too early to tell. Should be fine, hopefully! The media would lead you to believe they are the next coming.
2023 Rhett Lowder & Ty Floyd - Definitely early with them, no reason yet to believe either will be busts so until then I will be hopeful they pan out.

Last edited:
Incompetence and cheap skates in the front office for one. Also, failure to properly develop these prospects coming up through the ranks outside of ones who are destined to be stars with talent anyways. Hell, look at Marte, CES & Steer. Had to be developed for the most part by their previous organizations.

1st Round Picks since the Castellini's took over.

2006 Drew Stubbs - Meh. not really worth a 1st round pick. Disappointing.
2007 Devin Mesoraco, All-Star before injuries derailed his career.
Todd Frazier, good pick.
Kyle Lotzkar, WTF is that?
2008 Yonder Alonso, did nothing here. Decent career but not 1st round worthy. Really only 2 good years in the Majors.
2009 Mike Leake, solid pitcher.
Brad Boxberger, did nothing here but had an All-Star career and led the league in saves one year.
2010 Yasmani Grandal, used PEDs and did nothing here. Fairly decent for a few years in LA.
2011 Robert Stephenson, a joke here and most of his career. Decent the last couple of years but injured for the rest of the year.
2012 Jesse Winker, great pick
Jeff Gelalich never made it out of A Ball in the Reds system. Fizzed out in AAA in 2017 with CWS.
Nick Travieso - fizzed out in AA.
2013 Phil Ervin, such a joke
Michael Lorenzen a good pick.
2014 Nick Howard - joke
Alex Blandino - joke
2015 Tyler Stephenson - Good pick, shown some signs of life recently and good early on.
2016 Nick Senzel - LMFAO
Taylor Trammell - joke
2017 Hunter Greene - Good pick, looks like he is finally rounding the corner for good recently.
Jeter Downs - joke
2018 Jonathan India - Good pick, 2021 Rookie of the Year. Mostly disappointing dealing with prolonged slumps, injuries and a few bright spots here and there since '21. Has to do more though.
2019 Nick Lodolo - Good pick, still high on him if he can stay healthy.
2020 Austin Hendrick - joke. Not progressing whatsoever in the pipeline.
2021 Jay Allen - disappointing, not really progressing either.
2022 Cam Collier & Sal Stewart - Too early to tell. Should be fine, hopefully! The media would lead you to believe they are the next coming.
2023 Rhett Lowder & Ty Floyd - Definitely early with them, no reason yet to believe either will be busts so until then I will be hopeful they pan out.
Rhett Lowder should be solid and probably in the rotation next year. Hopefully they spend the number 2 pick this year on the best pro ready college player out there.

Rhett Lowder should be solid and probably in the rotation next year. Hopefully they spend the number 2 pick this year on the best pro ready college player out there.
Second poor outing in a row for Lowder, 5 ERs in less than 2IP. Have to wonder how healthy he is.

I don't look for Lowder to debut until about the time of season Abbott did mid-way through next year so long as he finishes the year out on a strong run and get off to a hot start in Louisville. The initial jump to AA Chattanooga should have people pumping the brakes who think he needs to be the next Paul Skeens.

The first start against the Smokies was fair, 5 innings with 3 runs. He got rocked in Birmingham for 7 runs in 4 2/3 innings, 9 hits off of him. 5 runs tonight vs Mississippi so he is definitely a work in progress. People need to be patient with him instead of rushing it with the decent pitching the Reds have had this year. Some articles out there would lead you to believe he'll be in Cincinnati this year no matter what. Back to the Abbott reference, will say he did not look sharp the year he was in the Futures Game in 2022, blew threw the minors last year, got called up and you know the rest.

I doubt we've seen the last of Connor Phillips getting a shot at the rotation. He will have to get it turned around though or get passed up. 36 ER in 38 IP!! There is still Lyon Richardson in Louisville that I think would be a good middle reliever to eat innings here in Cincinnati. Also, if Chase Petty can get his season on track and to Louisville before the end of the year. He will factor into the equation.

Read an interesting trade proposal the other day that would send Blake Dunn & Lyon Richardson to Oakland to get their All-Star outfielder with some power, Brent Rooker. Doubt Krall has the gumption to pull the trigger on the trade but I wouldn't expect him to land anyone better than Rooker. Skeptical of his ability to impact a team given how awful Oakland was last year and this Reds lineup is trash. This would have to be a secondary move and move some IF prospects to make a bigger splash. We can only dream though given this cheap skate front office.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT