ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits Discuss NIL at Under Armor All-American Game

Hopefully state U wins another game or two each year? It seems like a colossal waste of money.
The changes are hardly radical.

Did you think UK players and their opponents were not getting $$ the last thirty years?

Some weren’t and some aren’t now, but about the only real difference I see now is the lid used to be about $250,000.00, and now can reach the millions . . . but those deals might be ten-twenty nationally.

And taxes are paid, and the old “deposit no more than $10,000.00 cash” rule can now be ignored.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
They could have put a system in place that allows NIL but had enforcement set up that punished players and programs that were doing pay for play, which 75% of this is. But they did nothing. So now they have zero control and it’s completely out of control. That’s what is on the NCAA.
Mmmm.

I see what you are saying, but how do you define/differentiate?

Courts are disinclined to interfere with “market” decisions however ludicrous they might be. Courts are very inclined to hatchet any law/contract restraining free commerce, no matter how “rational.”

If I owned a car lot, and I want to pay Brock Vandagriff $5 million to endorse my car sales wearing a Blue shirt, no Court would likely sustain a law interfering with my private right of contract . . . it goes to the heart of capitalism and the invisible hand, as protected by “free speech,” and other fundamental constitutional provisions.

Hate to see the “real” students lose out with higher tuition and costs
“Real” students benefitted from the massive ROI pre-NIL, at the “profitable”
schools for decades.

The debt to build the 4th largest library (then) in the world on UK’s campus was amortized with sports income.

I won’t complain either, but it’s turned into what many thought it would- pay for play. The original idea of letting players get some $ off of autographs, commercials, etc was fine to me; But it’s now the Wild West with an open portal and nil. The current model isn’t sustainable long term, so something is going to budge sooner or later.
I said this is how it would turn out from the start but got repeatedly attack by other posters on this board for saying it. Good idea, horrible implementation.

Reactions: Tskware
The changes are hardly radical.

Did you think UK players and their opponents were not getting $$ the last thirty years?

Some weren’t and some aren’t now, but about the only real difference I see now is the lid used to be about $250,000.00, and now can reach the millions . . . but those deals might be ten-twenty nationally.

And taxes are paid, and the old “deposit no more than $10,000.00 cash” rule can now be ignored.
Of course some were getting some money under the table, so was Red Grange for that matter, most likely, but to compare the current NIL to what it used to be like is like comparing modern warfare to Revolutionary War tactics and weaponry.

However, since you raised the subject, I almost got run over while jogging on High Street a long while ago by Keith Bogans who was driving a brand new Cadillac Escalade (or whatever their top line SUV was in those days). I mentioned the incident on HOB, and got banned for a week. The only time I ever got banned in more than 25 years on this and similar sites. :D

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss and The-Hack
Mmmm.

I see what you are saying, but how do you define/differentiate?

Courts are disinclined to interfere with “market” decisions however ludicrous they might be. Courts are very inclined to hatchet any law/contract restraining free commerce, no matter how “rational.”

If I owned a car lot, and I want to pay Brock Vandagriff $5 million to endorse my car sales wearing a Blue shirt, no Court would likely sustain a law interfering with my private right of contract . . . it goes to the heart of capitalism and the invisible hand, as protected by “free speech,” and other fundamental constitutional provisions.
This is in the current NIL law for the state of Kentucky (which is an entirely separate separate issue that states have their own NIL laws):
  1. A person or entity shall not give or promise compensation for the use of the name, image, or likeness of a current or prospective student-athlete to recruit or induce the athlete to enroll at any Kentucky institution.
The NCAA also states:

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

Those rules do not go against allowing NIL. Just like how athletes are prohibited from signing and doing deals with certain types of companies (alcohol for one).

Illegal right now, but I'm not the only one who thinks this is going to happen. College football is second only to the NFL in revenue. There is money to be made everywhere. Pandora's box is open. Collective bargaining is coming and there is nothing the NCAA can do to stop it now.

You don't. That era of college sports is dead.
Collective bargaining requires them to be employees and to get paid directly from the schools. That may happen eventually, but there is no one in administration that is pushing for that now. That will require a fundamental dismantling of a very lucrative system, so you have to get all who currently profit to give up their leverage. Good luck!

“Real” students benefitted from the massive ROI pre-NIL, at the “profitable”
schools for decades.

The debt to build the 4th largest library (then) in the world on UK’s campus was amortized with sports income.
As it should have been.

Amateur athletics promoted by the school and not designed to provide a extravagant income stream for the “ student athlete”

It’s pro ball now.

Reactions: The-Hack
I almost got run over while jogging on High Street a long while ago by Keith Bogans who was driving a brand new Cadillac Escalade (or whatever their top line SUV was in those days).
Lol.

Attending a football practice in the early 2000’s, on foot I crossed the old synthetic surface at the old practice field behind the first Nutter complex, and all the players had parked there.

I came upon a nice SUV with beautiful “spinner” wheels. I had seen them maybe twice, before.

I couldn’t resist the urge to bend over and give the one on the front passenger side a hard spin.

I heard Dewayne Robertson on the adjacent field say, “who’s fu@king with my truck?”

I did not persist in the activity, further!!

I found out top-o-the-line spinners could run $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 apiece.

Caps are illegal without collective bargaining and the NCAA refuses to employ the players, so your dream dies there.

Could just as easily set a limit on NIL money to the teams themselves, and kids can still collect $10m a year if they choose...

They'll just be playing with guys making $5k a year.

Problem solved.

I won’t complain either, but it’s turned into what many thought it would- pay for play. The original idea of letting players get some $ off of autographs, commercials, etc was fine to me; But it’s now the Wild West with an open portal and nil. The current model isn’t sustainable long term, so something is going to budge sooner or later.
Unfortunately, I disagree on it not lasting. If anything it will get worse! The professional teams better take a much harder look at this and try to fix it. Why? Well, in reality, you have just unleashed 100's of new professional teams! Are you going to be a Bengal's fan - or a Wildcat fan? Before you could be both - but money - yes money - will lead to you becoming a really strong fan of one of the other eventually. When the NCAA collapses on this - which is almost done. TV contracts will change. The Big Time College teams will all be taking in a lot more money from TV. Games will start being played on Sundays - why not? TV will create super match ups on Sundays. Who you gonna watch then? The Wildcats or the Bengals? Now do you see my point!

We have thousands of millionaire's in this country. We have many huge billion dollar companies - auto companies, tech companies, marketing companies, etc. - who will all be on the advertising and sponsorships of stadiums, players and teams. When you see all the Nike ads or whatever ads for professional athletes - much of that will move to college athletes - you may think I am crazy - but just watch! These people have supported college sports in the past - but it will become much, much more prevalent - and of course the trickle down is already happening - high schoolers will become millionaire's. You will not be waiting to go to the pros to make big bucks - now you will be being paid to go to the professional college teams!

In short, it may have actually died several years ago- but amateur college sports is now dead. So, do you become a follower of the professional Kentucky Wildcats or do you become a follower of the professional Cincinnati Bengals? Yes you can do both - but do you have enough money, time and energy to actually support both of them?

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: The-Hack
Could just as easily set a limit on NIL money to the teams themselves, and kids can still collect $10m a year if they choose...

They'll just be playing with guys making $5k a year.

Problem solved.
That's illegal. I really don't know what is so hard to understand. You cannot limit the amount of money these kids can make without making them employees and then also letting them form a union to collectively bargain. Also, you cannot limit NIL to schools because the money isn't for the school, it's for the athletes. I strongly encourage you to forget about the word limit, as it can't happen without unionization.

Last edited:
That's illegal. I really don't know what is so hard to understand. You cannot limit the amount of money these kids can make without making them employees and then also letting them form a union to collectively bargain. Also, you cannot limit NIL to schools because the money isn't for the school, it's for the athletes. I strongly encourage you to forget about the word limit, as it can't happen without unionization.
You're not limiting anything about what the kids can earn...

You're limiting what the schools are allowed to spend. How hard is it to say 'Every team can field a team with a combined maximum NIL dispersion of $X'.

Salary caps work. That's why pro leagues use them.

You're limiting what the schools are allowed to spend. How hard is it to say 'Every team can field a team with a combined maximum NIL dispersion of $X'.

The problem with your argument is that the schools are not paying the players. They aren’t allowed to. All of the NIL money is coming from private sources and furthermore Every state has different laws. The salary cap works because every team agreed, the players union agreed.

When college games get like the pros I am done... I used to love to watch the pros, now not so much... Guy's making millions and wanting more, lol... Same way these college kids are now, it's nothing like it was before... It's hard to watch and I loved college FB games, not any game... Now I only watch UK and that is it, I could care less about other teams...
I am glad the kid's get paid for their image and likeness, but this is not it... This is pro ball and it's sickening... Pay me 300,00 for this season and I will transfer to another place and get more money to play for that stupid bunch of fans...

GBB

Reactions: law1127
The problem with your argument is that the schools are not paying the players. They aren’t allowed to. All of the NIL money is coming from private sources and furthermore Every state has different laws. The salary cap works because every team agreed, the players union agreed.
All of the NIL money is documented, yes?

Okay, so follow me here...

NCAA to BumFuk Southwest Community College: "Hey, new rule. Since we regulate EVERYTHING about your team already, including how many players you can recruit, when they can practice, what they're allowed to do and when, etc...

We're going to set a cap on the total amount of NIL money the players on YOUR roster can receive."

I just don't see what is so complicated about that.

And some kids can ask for $100M a year if they want, and some school may pay it, but it won't be any school wanting to field a competitive team around them.

Economics will work itself out, and now there's competitive balance. Ta-da!

All of the NIL money is documented, yes?

Okay, so follow me here...

NCAA to BumFuk Southwest Community College: "Hey, new rule. Since we regulate EVERYTHING about your team already, including how many players you can recruit, when they can practice, what they're allowed to do and when, etc...

We're going to set a cap on the total amount of NIL money the players on YOUR roster can receive."

I just don't see what is so complicated about that.

And some kids can ask for $100M a year if they want, and some school may pay it, but it won't be any school wanting to field a competitive team around them.

Economics will work itself out, and now there's competitive balance. Ta-da!
What you’re suggesting is illegal. Plain and simple.

What you’re suggesting is illegal. Plain and simple.
Ok, I'm an idiot, so help me out...

How can the NCAA limit roster sizes, practice times, contact windows, travel restrictions, academic restrictions, coaching interactions, and everything else directly and indirectly related to the sport...

But mandating schools can only field a team of players with a combined total of $10M or less in NIL endorsements is ILLEGAL?

Because the NCAA mandates how many games the teams have to play, don't they? They do. They limit how many players can be on the roster, don't they? They do.

So help me out.

And please note: NOBODY IS LIMITING HOW MUCH A PLAYER CAN RECEIVE...

So let's skip repeating that phrase over and over because I've never suggested it nor implied that was the idea.

Now - what part of that is ILLEGAL, exactly?

Ok, I'm an idiot, so help me out...

How can the NCAA limit roster sizes, practice times, contact windows, travel restrictions, academic restrictions, coaching interactions, and everything else directly and indirectly related to the sport...

But mandating schools can only field a team of players with a combined total of $10M or less in NIL endorsements is ILLEGAL?

Because the NCAA mandates how many games the teams have to play, don't they? They do. They limit how many players can be on the roster, don't they? They do.

So help me out.

And please note: NOBODY IS LIMITING HOW MUCH A PLAYER CAN RECEIVE...

So let's skip repeating that phrase over and over because I've never suggested it nor implied that was the idea.

Now - what part of that is ILLEGAL, exactly?
It’s illegal because all of the state laws regarding NIL say it’s illegal.

This isn’t that complicated.

Caps are illegal without collective bargaining and the NCAA refuses to employ the players, so your dream dies there.
Yeah that’s been my opinion where it ends up since the day the decision was released. Not just because there would be trying to regulate and don’t know how else to do it, but also when money starts flying around like it is all the vultures out there start circling to get in the way of it…including unions, agents, etc. All that being said I haven’t figured out how being academic institutions factors in to the long term version of all of this because of specific laws relating to them and their funding with the government…the most obvious being title 9

Reactions: satcheluk

Explanation #1000. Salary caps are illegal without collective bargaining. Collective bargaining is illegal without employment contracts. College athletes are not employees and the schools are steadfastly opposed to that option, therefore salary caps will remain illegal, so why waste your time jousting windmills?

Yeah that’s been my opinion where it ends up since the day the decision was released. Not just because there would be trying to regulate and don’t know how else to do it, but also when money starts flying around like it is all the vultures out there start circling to get in the way of it…including unions, agents, etc. All that being said I haven’t figured out how being academic institutions factors in to the long term version of all of this because of specific laws relating to them and their funding with the government…the most obvious being title 9
It's a valid point. You essentially have diametrically opposed cultures trying to find a way to fit. Amateurism, a form of classism/indentured servitude, is trying to meld with free market capitalism, but the stakeholders on the school side are trying to maintain the fascist elements of controlling/manipulating the market, while attempting to allow a minimal amount of free market into the athlete compensation side to placate the labor force and those who support them. It's really a comedy of errors that we are watching unfold and I suspect the only way this fixes itself is if college football, as a sport, breaks away from the schools. I would not be surprised if college football morphs into a developmental pro league that is either loosely affiliated with the schools or maybe even not at all.

I never felt that NIL would work for UK. There were folks thinking we would be miles ahead of all others because of the passion and numbers in BBN. I stated that Lexington was a small city in a very poor state. It was so predictable thatthe richer schools would prosper and those thinking selling autographs and tee shirts to the faithful were whistling past the graveyard.

I never felt that NIL would work for UK. There were folks thinking we would be miles ahead of all others because of the passion and numbers in BBN. I stated that Lexington was a small city in a very poor state. It was so predictable thatthe richer schools would prosper and those thinking selling autographs and tee shirts to the faithful were whistling past the graveyard.
Ole Miss has blown that theory out of the water, doubt there's a poorer state in the union than Mississippi and they've bought a first class defense.

Looks like my "dream" turned into your nightmare. This was inevitable.

Not my nightmare. I hope they get their fair share. I just said there can't be a cap without collectively bargaining, which requires employment status. All of what I said is true. This ain't the first rodeo with the NLRB. This is going to be settled by Congress or, if they fail, SCOTUS.

"This is not the first battle over whether student-athletes should be entitled to rights beyond those afforded to other students. In 2014, an NLRB Regional Director ruled that student-athletes on Northwestern University’s football team were employees and were permitted to join a union. On appeal, the NLRB declined jurisdiction and dismissed the petition, reasoning that most college football teams in the Big Ten (and NCAA) were public schools excluded from the NLRB’s jurisdiction, so it would not promote labor stability to have one or a few college football teams with unions.

Fast forward to 2021 and GC Abruzzo issued a nine-page memorandum announcing her belief that student-athletes were “employees” under the NLRA and that she would look to prosecute colleges, conferences, and the NCAA itself for alleged labor law violations — which practically invited groups to file unfair labor practice charges. Two organizations came off the bench in response to GC Abruzzo’s call. First, the College Basketball Players Association filed a charge in Indianapolis, naming only the NCAA as the supposed employer. That case remains under investigation but has evidently been put on ice."

I said when the NIL came about that they were opening a can of worms. I can see giving them some spending money but this needs to be changed. Some are just getting way to much. JMO You can disagree if you want.
Can't disagree. Beyond a certain level of income, the player should be paying compensation (pre-tax) into a team player collective, and at some point total team compensation needs to be capped. I'm pretty sure we are all familiar with salary caps? These are primarily salaries, not real NIL contracts, make no mistake. Most of these kids are not economically significant in relation to their deal size. They don't have advertising value matching their take. An individual cap of $75,000 and team cap of same x85 schollies would be something that would largely level the playing field for P4 conferences. $75k annually on top of free room & board and education seems adequate. Certain documented exempt reimbursements might be disregarded... like paying a Lloyd's policy premium?

Even if we get to the point that athletes are employees, it won’t eliminate NIL DEALS. Tom Brady did more commercials than the Patriots right guard You can put a salary cap through with labor contract agreements with player unions but it doesn’t affect individual private NIL contracts.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Really makes me sad reading that. College athletics have turned in to an auction. I expect to see Barrett Jackson having all the incoming frosh in with the coaches and money men.
You are not that naive. Just because it's transparent now. They've did this for years.

I actually think it would be neat to have former athletes tell their stories about what they got back in the day. The most successful programs have the most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT