ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits Discuss NIL at Under Armor All-American Game

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
Sub required:

https://theathletic.com/5175508/202...-nil-rule-changes/?source=user_shared_article

Excerpts:

Did you sign with the school that offered you the best NIL deal? If not, how much did you leave on the table to sign with where you ultimately decided to go?

• It wasn’t a big difference for me in terms of the total package. All the schools offered about $300,000 to $400,000 per year with the ability to earn more.

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.

• The dollar figures were similar so NIL wasn’t a priority for me. I’m worried about the big bucks later. My relationship with the coaches, watching them practice and seeing it was really was the biggest factor.

• I had another school offer me the same NIL deal in total, but with a signing bonus. The signing bonus would’ve been basically a really nice car. The NIL deal is like an NFL rookie contract. I had an agent handle it all for me. As soon as NIL came out, my dad was like, “You need an agent.” When schools call, they have the position coach, head coach and the money man from the collective call you.

• I left some money on the table. I didn’t bring up NIL until my official visits. One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them.

Really makes me sad reading that. College athletics have turned in to an auction. I expect to see Barrett Jackson having all the incoming frosh in with the coaches and money men.

Could not agree more. When this era ends, and it will, sooner rather than later hopefully, we will look back and wonder WTF people were thinking when they decided it was a great idea to give a bunch of college football players $40K a month or whatever, on top of room, board, scholarship, medical care, etc. And for what? Hopefully state U wins another game or two each year? It seems like a colossal waste of money.

I'm not gonna complain about NIL. If one of my grandkids are fortunate enough to earn from it..I'm all for it.

I don't think NIL is a bad think. But as it is now there are no rules about anything. Schools scan rosters of other teams, and find out what it would take to get him to transfer. Paying HS kids 50-60k a month. The 2 Texas schools are tampering with rosters and have big boosters buying said player. Do you want your grandson treated as a piece of property to be bought and sold? There is no contract, nothing that bines a kid to a team. How long before we see a kid change teams and play for 2 teams in same season?

I'm not gonna complain about NIL. If one of my grandkids are fortunate enough to earn from it..I'm all for it.
I won’t complain either, but it’s turned into what many thought it would- pay for play. The original idea of letting players get some $ off of autographs, commercials, etc was fine to me; But it’s now the Wild West with an open portal and nil. The current model isn’t sustainable long term, so something is going to budge sooner or later.

I don't think NIL is a bad think. But as it is now there are no rules about anything. Schools scan rosters of other teams, and find out what it would take to get him to transfer. Paying HS kids 50-60k a month. The 2 Texas schools are tampering with rosters and have big boosters buying said player. Do you want your grandson treated as a piece of property to be bought and sold? There is no contract, nothing that bines a kid to a team. How long before we see a kid change teams and play for 2 teams in same season?
I think these millionaires/billionaires are going to want results. Millionaires/billionaires didn't become millionaires/billionaires by pissing away their money. If they don't get the results expected the $$ will eventually dry up.

Reads like prep as a pro athlete. If not a pro athlete, you've learned lessons about how people and business work..gets you a step ahead of many in your age group...May, even get a degree in the process. Can't forget the money you've earned to help kick off adulthood.

Really makes me sad reading that. College athletics have turned in to an auction. I expect to see Barrett Jackson having all the incoming frosh in with the coaches and money men.
Whether you knew it or not, but it always has been. How do u think bama, Ohio St, etc etc always got the 5 star guys, big bags of cash. NIL actually helps level the playing field.

Do you think nil is reducing donations to the general funds of these universities.

If so, I imagine the presidents hate it. That in itself would lead me to believe there will be changes.

Hate to see the “real” students lose out with higher tuition and costs

Whether you knew it or not, but it always has been. How do u think bama, Ohio St, etc etc always got the 5 star guys, big bags of cash. NIL actually helps level the playing field.

I don't believe that at all. They got the best players because they put the best product on the field and put the most players into the NFL. Sure there will always be some rulebreakers but Bama and OSU are bad examples because of the product they put on the field. Before NIL Kirby was accused of paying kids, nevermind UGA was putting kids in the league, that he seldom took more than 2-3 days off at a time, made an efffort to meet get to every single HS in Georgia, put on coaching clinics for Ga HS coaches that were attended by 1000's. None of building relationships mattered, he was just dropping bags according to teams he was out recruiting, he couldn't have been outworking their coach right?

Could not agree more. When this era ends, and it will, sooner rather than later hopefully, we will look back and wonder WTF people were thinking when they decided it was a great idea to give a bunch of college football players $40K a month or whatever, on top of room, board, scholarship, medical care, etc. And for what? Hopefully state U wins another game or two each year? It seems like a colossal waste of money.
It won't end until the NCAA does, because if you try and cap anything, all you'll hear is how 'evil, old ADs and School Boards want to keep the kids in chains'.

It won't end until the NCAA is gone, and a player development league with established rules and contract stipulations is put into place.

The state of college amateur athletics has been in shambles for a long long time. NIL was the death knell of the amateur part. Now it's time to treat it like any other paid sport. There has to be a team cap put into place and full transparency for transactions. That is the only way to save college athletics in the NIL era.

NIL will not change. It was 9-0 in the Supreme Court. There will be no cap. It’s not going away.

I’ve said from day 1 the NCAA screwed up big time with all of this. They drug their feet, buried their head in the sand and hid behind the bogus word “amateurism”.

Had they been proactive and not reactive, they could have put perimeters in place from the get go that would have been able to put a system in place to better monitor NIL. They were not prepared for this and it shows.

I just love how all of them say the “schools offered me” this much and that much…

Yeah, that’s totally not what NIL is “supposed” to be. But… tomato, tomahto, whatever, I guess.

Pay me my money… but don’t you dare expect me to play in any games that I don’t think are worth it to me to play.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I said when the NIL came about that they were opening a can of worms. I can see giving them some spending money but this needs to be changed. Some are just getting way to much. JMO You can disagree if you want.
I keep seeing comments like this, but it can't change like that. SCOTUS made it extremely clear that the NCAA was essentially indentured servitude and if the want to try to hang on to that, then future lawsuits reaching the court would result in very painful punishments. Restrictions cannot be implemented without collective bargaining and that requires the players getting paid directly from the schools.

Reactions: JDHoss and hmt5000
Not really a great ROI with pre nil to post nil at UK.. 5 years before nil 34 wins,, 5 years after nil 37 wins.. A +3 in wins.. We know we're getting better players..
That's nearly a 10% return. What kind of ROI do you typically expect?

It won't end until the NCAA does, because if you try and cap anything, all you'll hear is how 'evil, old ADs and School Boards want to keep the kids in chains'.

It won't end until the NCAA is gone, and a player development league with established rules and contract stipulations is put into place.
This is the most logical outcome. The top half of football teams, say 64 will break away and become a professionals developmental league with employed athletes, contracts and collective bargaining. They'll lose some older fans, but they'll die soon and it'll be the norm in a generation.

The state of college amateur athletics has been in shambles for a long long time. NIL was the death knell of the amateur part. Now it's time to treat it like any other paid sport. There has to be a team cap put into place and full transparency for transactions. That is the only way to save college athletics in the NIL era.
Caps are illegal without collective bargaining and the NCAA refuses to employ the players, so your dream dies there.

Caps are illegal without collective bargaining and the NCAA refuses to employ the players, so your dream dies there.
This will end with the unionization of college sports. If so, what happens with women sports(title lX) and smaller schools. Still say this will be the destruction of college sports in ten years.

Reactions: law1127
Not really a great ROI with pre nil to post nil at UK.. 5 years before nil 34 wins,, 5 years after nil 37 wins.. A +3 in wins.. We know we're getting better players..
You think as if UK is the only team in NCAA giving out NIL. Guess what?

Knoxville is allowed to do so as well, so is Louisville, S Carolina, Mizzou, Florida, Georgia. NIL isn't some magical key only UK was allowed to access. And your disappointed UK hasn't won more with NIL, sad reality-is many of our opponents get greater fan investments in NIL than we do for UK.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
This will end with the unionization of college sports. If so, what happens with women sports(title lX) and smaller schools. Still say this will be the destruction of college sports in ten years.
Destruction? Not likely. Evolving into something different? Likely. As for Olympic sports and Tile IX, those are good questions. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect if football players become employees, then Title IX no longer applies. They could pay them enough to pay their own way, so the scholarships wouldn't be used for football. I suspect, for ethical/PR reasons, they will make sure any agreement ensures that small sports continue to thrive. I enjoy watching change take place, so the academic in me is interested to watch this play out. I hope it works out for the best and athletes still have as many opportunities to play sports in order to get a free education.

Heaven forbid the free degree in whatever they want would be enough. It's pathetic and just another blow to the future for our children/grandchildren.

Amateurism stopped being a thing when the Olympics started allowing professional athletes to compete. That's when the concept of amateurism officially made no more sense. Maintaining your amateur status to compete at the collegiate level, while other regular students at the Universities were able to take jobs and do basically whatever they wanted to earn money, regardless of their scholarship status or age. That's the real conundrum with NIL. The kids deserve to be able to make money and profit off their talents just like any other human in any other field, but it is quickly fostering an unfair advantage for a lot of programs. How do you strike a happy medium in there somewhere?

Reactions: dvillecatfan
Amateurism stopped being a thing when the Olympics started allowing professional athletes to compete. That's when the concept of amateurism officially made no more sense. Maintaining your amateur status to compete at the collegiate level, while other regular students at the Universities were able to take jobs and do basically whatever they wanted to earn money, regardless of their scholarship status or age. That's the real conundrum with NIL. The kids deserve to be able to make money and profit off their talents just like any other human in any other field, but it is quickly fostering an unfair advantage for a lot of programs. How do you strike a happy medium in there somewhere?
Agree...the premise of NIL I am 100% behind...the ability for someone to make money of their likeness. The idea that a "normal" college student who has millions of followers on social media can make money from sponsors but a college athlete who has millions of followers on social media could not make money is just dumb and there is zero argument for that besides, "that's the way it's always been".

The ball was dropped when there was no system put in place by the NCAA to monitor NIL and it turned into pay for play. Now, 2 years later, they are trying to introduce new rules around NIL after the culture has already been set.

Illegal right now, but I'm not the only one who thinks this is going to happen. College football is second only to the NFL in revenue. There is money to be made everywhere. Pandora's box is open. Collective bargaining is coming and there is nothing the NCAA can do to stop it now.

How do you strike a happy medium in there somewhere?

You don't. That era of college sports is dead.

I don't believe that at all. They got the best players because they put the best product on the field and put the most players into the NFL. Sure there will always be some rulebreakers but Bama and OSU are bad examples because of the product they put on the field. Before NIL Kirby was accused of paying kids, nevermind UGA was putting kids in the league, that he seldom took more than 2-3 days off at a time, made an efffort to meet get to every single HS in Georgia, put on coaching clinics for Ga HS coaches that were attended by 1000's. None of building relationships mattered, he was just dropping bags according to teams he was out recruiting, he couldn't have been outworking their coach right?
Bama cheated their asses off

Reactions: howercat
Sub required:

https://theathletic.com/5175508/202...-nil-rule-changes/?source=user_shared_article

Excerpts:

Did you sign with the school that offered you the best NIL deal? If not, how much did you leave on the table to sign with where you ultimately decided to go?

• It wasn’t a big difference for me in terms of the total package. All the schools offered about $300,000 to $400,000 per year with the ability to earn more.

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.

• The dollar figures were similar so NIL wasn’t a priority for me. I’m worried about the big bucks later. My relationship with the coaches, watching them practice and seeing it was really was the biggest factor.

• I had another school offer me the same NIL deal in total, but with a signing bonus. The signing bonus would’ve been basically a really nice car. The NIL deal is like an NFL rookie contract. I had an agent handle it all for me. As soon as NIL came out, my dad was like, “You need an agent.” When schools call, they have the position coach, head coach and the money man from the collective call you.

• I left some money on the table. I didn’t bring up NIL until my official visits. One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them.
I’m worried about the big bucks later is the best. Like several hundred thousand isn’t big bucks to a guy who’d be lucky to work a Burger King drive thru if it wasn’t for physical/athletic measurements.

I love the people who blame it on the NCAA for not being proactive and making rules. I agree about being proactive but the same people now say that they can do nothing because of the court decision. What makes a rule made before the court decision legal but illegal now. My point that I have heard nothing that might have been done that the Supreme Court would have ruled ok

I love the people who blame it on the NCAA for not being proactive and making rules. I agree about being proactive but the same people now say that they can do nothing because of the court decision. What makes a rule made before the court decision legal but illegal now. My point that I have heard nothing that might have been done that the Supreme Court would have ruled ok
I’m one of those guys. This has been brewing forever. From Jeremy Bloom at Colorado to Ed O’Bannon and video games. They just fought against it instead of seeing the future. The concept of NIL just didn’t happen overnight. Now it’s controlled by each state and different states have different rules.

They could have put a system in place that allows NIL but had enforcement set up that punished players and programs that were doing pay for play, which 75% of this is. But they did nothing. So now they have zero control and it’s completely out of control. That’s what is on the NCAA.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT