ADVERTISEMENT

Records never to be broken

It was 37 years after Affirmed before American Pharaoh won the next Triple Crown, and while that probably qualifies him as a "superhorse", the thing to keep in mind about Secretariat is that in winning his Triple Crown 51 years ago, he broke the records in all three races and they all still stand. The second thru eighth fastest times in the Belmont Stakes are all within 0.86 seconds of each other, from 2:26.00 (Easy Goer) and 2:26.86 (Tabasco Cat), while Secretariat is two full seconds faster - an eternity in a horse race, which is why I included his 2:24.0 time in my opening list.

This. The veterinarian who performed Secretariat’s necropsy estimated that his heart weighed about 22 pounds. The average horse’s heart is 8.5 pounds. People talk about Wilt or certain other athletes being freaks, but Secretariat was truly a freak of nature.

I remember when people thought Pistol Pete's scoring record was "untouchable".

To answer the question I think Ripkens record won't be broken due to the modern athlete/ management not permitting players to play that much.

Reactions: DraftCat
Not a fan of his, not a hater, either, but I have a hard time believing anyone will ever break LeBron's all time scoring record. His longevity is something we will never see again. Averaging 25/8/7 at age forty.

Someone would have to average 25 points a game for 20 years, and that is to get to 41000. Odds are, LeBron will clear that next season pretty easily. Also keep in mind, this is assuming that said player plays all 82 games each of those 20 seasons. You can't even start in the league until you're 19 right now.

I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Sorry Nap.... In 1943, Josh Gibson had a 466 batting average that year is now the highest mark in Major League history. just like that, an unbreakable is broken.
I gave you a "LIKE"...because Josh may be the greatest.

But his record was in the "Negro League", right?
Sad to say that...because I detest Racial Bigotry.

Bobby Fischer the American chess king and Franklin Delano Roosevelt elected 4 consecutive terms will 100% never be broken

Ricky Henderson 1406 steals. That is an absurd number. 2nd place is less than a thousand. You could average 70/year for 20 years and still not quite catch him.

That record won't be broken.

Emanuel Lasker was the reigning world chess champion from 1894 to 1921
nerds-mad.gif

Bobby Fischer the American chess king and Franklin Delano Roosevelt elected 4 consecutive terms will 100% never be broken
FDR is like Bob Gibson: they changed the rules because of him.

There might be another American #1 chess master. Probably not, though.

Until they do away with the 3 point shot, nobody can break Maravich's scoring record: it's a different game with the 3 point shot. It just has the same name.

Until they do away with the 3 point shot, nobody can break Maravich's scoring record: it's a different game with the 3 point shot. It just has the same name.
👍

The record that won't be beaten is Bobby's streak of 20 consecutive tournament wins without a draw against international grandmasters

The record that won't be beaten is Bobby's streak of 20 consecutive tournament wins without a draw against international grandmasters
You're probably right.

Computer chess has diminished the game. It's a game of memory as much as imagination now.

It was 37 years after Affirmed before American Pharaoh won the next Triple Crown, and while that probably qualifies him as a "superhorse", the thing to keep in mind about Secretariat is that in winning his Triple Crown 51 years ago, he broke the records in all three races and they all still stand. The second thru eighth fastest times in the Belmont Stakes are all within 0.86 seconds of each other, from 2:26.00 (Easy Goer) and 2:26.86 (Tabasco Cat), while Secretariat is two full seconds faster - an eternity in a horse race, which is why I included his 2:24.0 time in my opening list.
Sham, the runner up to Secretariat in the Derby, recorded the second fastest time in Derby History. They both finished in under two minutes. Sham was a pretty remarkable horse in his own right and could have been great had he not been overshadowed by Secretariat. Unfortunately his career ended after that Belmont race.

You're probably right.

Computer chess has diminished the game. It's a game of memory as much as imagination now.
Which is why Bobby invented Chess960 - to eliminate the advantage of rote memorization of openings and put the emphasis back on tactical analytical skill. It hasn't replaced Chess yet, but there is an FIDE sanctioned world championship.

Chess, Checkers, Othello, even Go have all been mastered by computers - al least in the sense than no human can beat the best programs. What they have in common is they are all perfect information games (ie, both or all players know everything about the state of the game). The same is not true of incomplete information games. Humans still mop the floor with computers in Contract Bridge and Stratego.

Last edited:
Reactions: DreadLox
You are right!! But I was kind of right too.

"But in the 1930s and '40s, Gibson was also racking up hits in the Negro Leagues. He even posted a career-best .466 batting average for the Homestead Grays in 1943."

However this year, 2024, MLB added Gibson's stats to the MLB record book!
And that is very, very cool.

It gets better: He supplanted Ty Cobb from #1. And (I LOVE THIS) Cobb's great-grandson Tyrus applauded the idea!! That makes this old geezer smile.

I was about to say Novak Djokovic's grand slam record, whatever it ends up at, but it looks like Alcaraz might be the next guy. Hell, I thought Sampras at 14 was a done deal.

Sham, the runner up to Secretariat in the Derby, recorded the second fastest time in Derby History. They both finished in under two minutes. Sham was a pretty remarkable horse in his own right and could have been great had he not been overshadowed by Secretariat. Unfortunately his career ended after that Belmont race.
Yeah. Sham was running well in the Belmont until about a half mile to go. Then, it's like the horse just said, "F T S" and just walked it in. That margin of victory was as impressive as the time. It's a myth that Secretariat's quarter miles improved as the race went on, but his 2nd quarter was faster than his first. Which is still impressive. There's also a myth that he was a dud in the breeding shed. What he did, though, was sire great mares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT