ADVERTISEMENT

Records never to be broken

Myotis

All-SEC
Jan 1, 2003
The thread on Wilt Chamberlain got me to thinking about this. Nominate your choice for a sports record unlikely to broken in the lifetime of any of our posters

I'll start it of with these five (and in rough order of just my opinion of their unbreakability)

.426 single season MLB batting average (post 1900) - Nap Lajoie
11 consecutive PGA wins - Byron Nelson
2,857 NHL goals - Wayne Gretzky
2:24 for a mile-and-a-half - Secretariat
100 points in a single NBA game - Wilt Chamberlain

Also, speak up if you think any of these are not as untouchable as I think they are.

You know it's interesting to me and I don't want to start the huge debate... however a lot of these untouchable records were done pre-modern era.

Every sport is so advanced now that yea it does make these records untouchable.

I'll start it of with these five (and in rough order of just my opinion of their unbreakability)

[edited for brevity]

Two things.

1) Nap Lajoie is one friggin' great name.

2) Horse breeding got kicked in the withers by the law forbidding the use of race horses as dog food. Two things happened. First, the number of thoroughbreds in the US born each year plummeted. Second, breeders use fewer sires. I think that has produced a frailer breed and more horses die on the track.

Reactions: natchezrule
The thread on Wilt Chamberlain got me to thinking about this. Nominate your choice for a sports record unlikely to broken in the lifetime of any of our posters

Also, speak up if you think any of these are not as untouchable as I think they are.
Frank Selvy from Corbin. The only player to score 100 in D1 college basketball. He played for Furman back when Furman was in the Southern Conference along with a host of major universities.

56 game hitting streak in MLB is statistically unexplainable per my stats professor at UGA

I'll change gears a bit and give you what many think is an unbreakable record, that I think *could* be broken in our lifetime: Phelps 23 Gold medals. This record is mainly in place because Swimming offers so many chances to medal.

All you need (I say it like it's easy to find lol), is for an amazing swimmer to come along, men's or womens.. who is simply better than their field in several different events, and if they happen to get into an Olympics at an early age, thereby giving them 4-5 Olympics.. they could in theory take the record.

Do I think it will happen? No, of course not.. but I think it's a far more breakable record than Calvin Ripkin's games in a row, or Wayne Gretyzkys points record.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
History shows records are made to be broken but when the rules change like in baseball they seem to be set. Nolan Ryans pitching records will be around forever and as for a superhorse, it comes along every 20 to 30 years.

You know it's interesting to me and I don't want to start the huge debate... however a lot of these untouchable records were done pre-modern era.

Every sport is so advanced now that yea it does make these records untouchable.

Maybe agree about ones back with cy young etc but most others listed dont fall into this category.

Wilt played in a golden era for Big men. Nolan ryans incredibly effective longevity and no hits was in an era with some of the best contact hitters in baseball history and best hitters period. In today's mlb hed probably have double the no hitters and ks.

Cal ripken was an iron man.

Just to start.

History shows records are made to be broken but when the rules change like in baseball they seem to be set. Nolan Ryans pitching records will be around forever and as for a superhorse, it comes along every 20 to 30 years.
It was 37 years after Affirmed before American Pharaoh won the next Triple Crown, and while that probably qualifies him as a "superhorse", the thing to keep in mind about Secretariat is that in winning his Triple Crown 51 years ago, he broke the records in all three races and they all still stand. The second thru eighth fastest times in the Belmont Stakes are all within 0.86 seconds of each other, from 2:26.00 (Easy Goer) and 2:26.86 (Tabasco Cat), while Secretariat is two full seconds faster - an eternity in a horse race, which is why I included his 2:24.0 time in my opening list.

I recently saw, that if you take away all of Gretzky's goals, he's still the all-time NHL points leader. Wayne Gretzky's career stats line is the most impressive in all of North American professional sports history. And there's no one even remotely close. I'm not going to type them out, but it's mind boggling.

Mike Tyson most ears bitten off in Boxing.
Two thumbs up.

jW5y0tY.jpg

Sorry Nap.... In 1943, Josh Gibson had a 466 batting average that year is now the highest mark in Major League history. just like that, an unbreakable is broken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT