ADVERTISEMENT

Records never to be broken

Myotis

All-SEC
Jan 1, 2003
The thread on Wilt Chamberlain got me to thinking about this. Nominate your choice for a sports record unlikely to broken in the lifetime of any of our posters

I'll start it of with these five (and in rough order of just my opinion of their unbreakability)

.426 single season MLB batting average (post 1900) - Nap Lajoie
11 consecutive PGA wins - Byron Nelson
2,857 NHL goals - Wayne Gretzky
2:24 for a mile-and-a-half - Secretariat
100 points in a single NBA game - Wilt Chamberlain

Also, speak up if you think any of these are not as untouchable as I think they are.

Reactions: susan2361
You know it's interesting to me and I don't want to start the huge debate... however a lot of these untouchable records were done pre-modern era.

Every sport is so advanced now that yea it does make these records untouchable.

Vander Meer’s back to back no hitters record is the untouchable one. Dude is the ONLY player in history to throw back to back no hitters. Someone may tie it, but nobody is throwing back to back to back no hitters to beat it.

Reactions: Burgcatfan
I'll start it of with these five (and in rough order of just my opinion of their unbreakability)

[edited for brevity]

Two things.

1) Nap Lajoie is one friggin' great name.

2) Horse breeding got kicked in the withers by the law forbidding the use of race horses as dog food. Two things happened. First, the number of thoroughbreds in the US born each year plummeted. Second, breeders use fewer sires. I think that has produced a frailer breed and more horses die on the track.

The thread on Wilt Chamberlain got me to thinking about this. Nominate your choice for a sports record unlikely to broken in the lifetime of any of our posters

11 consecutive PGA wins - Byron Nelson
2,857 NHL goals - Wayne Gretzky
100 points in a single NBA game - Wilt Chamberlain

Also, speak up if you think any of these are not as untouchable as I think they are.
Frank Selvy from Corbin. The only player to score 100 in D1 college basketball. He played for Furman back when Furman was in the Southern Conference along with a host of major universities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT