ADVERTISEMENT

Really shocked that Jacob and Jerod Smith….

HYTCHYE ISLAND

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 7, 2013
Haven’t had an impact this year. I’m more than happy with the way our defense has been performing but I truly thought these 2 were gonna be impact players from jump? Anyone heard anything on our higher rated freshman and their progress? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: mattrudd
Haven’t had an impact this year. I’m more than happy with the way our defense has been performing but I truly thought these 2 were gonna be impact players from jump? Anyone heard anything on our higher rated freshman and their progress? Thanks in advance!

I think they are everything they were cracked up to be, but our roster is much different than it was in the days when a Dennis Johnson could come in as a Frosh and play big minutes.

On defense, we now have more
Former 4 Star players than we can play at once, and the brothers are two of them. I thought Brian Robinson would play a lot this year, but Walker seldom leaves the field.

100%

Who are they going to get snaps from?

Rybka?

I think they are everything they were cracked up to be, but our roster is much different than it was in the days when a Dennis Johnson could come in as a Frosh and play big minutes.

On defense, we now have more
Former 4 Star players than we can play at once, and the brothers are two of them. I thought Brian Robinson would play a lot this year, but Walker seldom leaves the field.
Great points! Appreciate everyone’s feedback and admittedly I expected too much from these young men. Here’s to hoping they continue to train and become the beasts we know they can be!!!

The better we get as a program the less likely it will be for freshman to have early contributions. That's a good thing. I think the smiths and Robinson have the right mindset to attack the offseason and take over those spots next year.

I would stop going into the season expecting big contributions from incoming freshmen, especially on defense. This is a good problem.
At the level we are playing (and being competitive) you aren't going to see a lot of kids physically developed enough to help much at the line of scrimmage... linemen, running backs, linebackers, tight ends, let's say. All born to redshirt.

There very few teenagers that are mature enough in their freshmen year to compete with grown men that's been lifting in a strength and conditioning program fot multi years.

Great points! Appreciate everyone’s feedback and admittedly I expected too much from these young men. Here’s to hoping they continue to train and become the beasts we know they can be!!!
I think your thoughts on them will rise to the surface next year.....

Weaver and Rybka move on....should open up snaps at DE and Jack Lber (which i guess they will slot at each position respectively)

Stoops and White have UK at nearly a replace vs. rebuilt on defense....we'll take a step back for sure next year...but I don't see us falling apart defensively...in years past we'd be a disaster after losing so many upper class guys.

Guys below....are extremely highly regarded
Brian robinson
Jacob and Jerod Smith
Soles
Godfrey
Fearby
Nichols
Cam Dooley
Kendrick Gilbert
Afari
Ty Bryant

UK has an extremely bright future on D.....especially if we can develop a NFL talent on DLine.....could be scary good unit.

I think your thoughts on them will rise to the surface next year.....

Weaver and Rybka move on....should open up snaps at DE and Jack Lber (which i guess they will slot at each position respectively)

Stoops and White have UK at nearly a replace vs. rebuilt on defense....we'll take a step back for sure next year...but I don't see us falling apart defensively...in years past we'd be a disaster after losing so many upper class guys.

Guys below....are extremely highly regarded
Brian robinson
Jacob and Jerod Smith
Soles
Godfrey
Fearby
Nichols
Cam Dooley
Kendrick Gilbert
Afari
Ty Bryant

UK has an extremely bright future on D.....especially if we can develop a NFL talent on DLine.....could be scary good unit.
Don’t forget Hayes, Gadson, and Henry-Young coming back from injury! Hope to have all 3 of them back to add to our DL depth.

I think our DL is in fantastic shape for now and the future.
These young guys are playing sporadically due to the fact that the veteran guys are playing pretty damn good
Rybka has been playing well all year. Ox stepped his game up, hopefully that builds his confidence.
Walker, what can you say. He's continuously being doubled and triple teamed, and held on every play.
Then you have Silver, Gilbert and others coming on strong. That keeps out DL fresh with all the rotations.
So with these young guys and Hayes, DHY and Gadsden coming back, we should be pretty good
for the upcoming years.
Plus we have commitments from several very promising prospects.
Just my humble opinion
GI BIG BLUE

Reactions: bballcat4

I know the discussion is focused on D-line, but I have heard a whisper or two that LB Antwane Smith is freakishly athletic and “runs step-for-step with Barion Brown,” at 6’ 3” and 205.

Reactions: yoshukai
I know the discussion is focused on D-line, but I have heard a whisper or two that LB Antwane Smith is freakishly athletic and “runs step-for-step with Barion Brown,” at 6’ 3” and 205.
We need a game changing edge rusher. I’ve said before that a game changing QB & edge rusher will win you a lot of college football games.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT