ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically?

Can we just focus and talk about THIS team ? It does not matter what Cal DID, he is GONE. We know the results the last 5 years, you don't need to rehash it every other post, it brings the thread conversation down. I DGAF about Cal or if he wins a single game at Arkansas, lets just focus on OUR team going forward.

Lol, not even close.

Cal took highly ranked hs players that lacked over skill and fundamentals in place of athleticism and highlight worthy ability. When he took developed college guys that could have been "dudes", he didn't know wth to do with them.

If we want to compete next year, we need a go-to guy that can carry the team as needed. We don't currently have that.
Guess we’ll see

Still need talent to win! IMO a round of 32 team now, get a stud player to add and sweet 16 is possible.
lol where did most of the good players last year come from? Reeves, Kenect, Sears, etc smaller programs. If you come from a smaller program you can still be talented.

Reactions: delk4three
I'm going to wait and see how things play out. Wasn't last seasons team supposed to make a deep run in the NCAAT? Unless you've been living on one of Jupiter's moon, we should all know how that worked out.

With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what CMP does with this incoming roster.

its all speculation but I will say that I am more excited about seeing what this team can do moreso than I was last year. And multiple times over what the team next year would have looked like under Cal.

I certainly would not trade Arkansas' roster over Kentucky's - wouldn't even consider it. Funny with all the empirical evidence documented , Arkansas fans can't grasp why UK fans would feel like that.

It amazes me, that I still see these types of posts, the " I am not excited", " I am not impressed", " we need …." So many still hung up the Cal way, UK has proven the one and one model doesn't work, no matter how high they are rated. Their future potential and results in the NBA are meaningless to the now and at the same time, College basketball has proven that most of the time a veteran heavy team with multiple parts will compete for the title. Flash doesn't win titles and I'm not saying this new team is going to win a title, what I am saying is Cal was all about perception and "look at our NBA guys", nothing he did was about winning now. Also, I am glad to have a staff that actually brings in players based on culture and fit into the program they want to build and not based on their ratings or how they think they can help their NBA stock. Still seeing the, "will these guys want to come off the bench" and my only retort to that is, they knew who we had when they committed. All teams have competition - it is not like what we have had. Pope is building a program, where dudes stay multiple years, he isn't building the next draft class. Also, I firmly believe this staff will play who earns it and who helps the team the most, not their guys or the ones they are trying to help build a draft profile. I for one, hope Pope fills all 13 scholarships and they fight it out daily. Competition makes you better

Last edited:
Based on our current roster, I realistically expect us to have a solid team that’s competitive in most games and hopefully makes the tournament, but I don’t expect championship contention in year 1. Even though they’re veteran transfers, none of these guys have ever played together and will probably take some time to gel as a team. Although I’m happy in the long run to have a coach who actually runs offensive sets, I’m also not seeing a true shot creator on this team and worry that we may have some offensive struggles against higher end teams. My hope is that even if we don’t quite win big this year, it serves as a foundational year that can build us some momentum going forward.

If Mark Pope can carry that BYU team last year to a 6 seed, with far less talent and in arguably the toughest conference in America, then that should be our floor expectation (6-7 seed) as the roster currently stands.

Land Jaxson/Lanier/Poplar and those expectations rise to a top-15 team. Land 2of those guys (even if it means a guy like Oweh goes elsewhere), and we're easily Top-10.

Reactions: AGEE11
Way too early for this, but ... it's still fun!

Regular Season: 24-7 (lose to Duke and Gonzaga)
Conference Record: 13-5
SEC Tourney Runner-up
Record entering NCAA: 26-8 [#4 Seed]
Season Record: 28-9
NCAA Sweet 16

I think this is attainable and would please almost all of the fans in Pope's first year. If we add a key offensive weapon to the team that we already have I think we could get a top 3 seed and have EE/FF potential.

I love the balance and depth of the team Pope has put together already and am excited to visit Rupp Arena this year to see the team!

Home
  • Alabama - L
  • Arkansas - W
  • Auburn - W
  • Florida - W
  • LSU - W
  • South Carolina - W
  • Tennessee - W
  • Texas A&M - L
  • Vanderbilt - W
Away

• at Alabama - L
  • at Georgia - W
  • at Ole Miss Rebels - W
  • at Mississippi State - W
  • at Missouri - W
  • at Oklahoma - W
  • at Tennessee - L
  • at Texas - L
  • at Vanderbilt - W

It’s not just you. The former coach has conditioned us to get excited about 5 stars only. We’ve been doing this for the past 15 years. Gonna take awhile to change that mindset.
Does anyone know how many guys UCONN will get drafted? I know the freshman guard will be drafted.

Reactions: delk4three
Can we just focus and talk about THIS team ? It does not matter what Cal DID, he is GONE. We know the results the last 5 years, you don't need to rehash it every other post, it brings the thread conversation down. I DGAF about Cal or if he wins a single game at Arkansas, lets just focus on OUR team going forward.

Last 4 years. If pope goes 25 and 6 and wins the sec by 3 games no one on here is saying that isn't a good season (pending post season results of course that we didn't get n 2020) so idk why people get lumping it in with 2021 to 2024 seasons.

That said, I agree with you on leaving him out of threads about next season.

Damn half of you all don't have a damn clue about basketball. This team is loaded! They are going to hurt teams next season.
They've been conditioned for 15 years thinking one on one is the way for success so when they see we dont have that known one on one stud if not more than 1, they want to worry. All people need to do is look at Uconn, Like only 1 of their dudes was recruited with actual expectations that they'd end up dominant. but the coaching and system turned them all into studs/pro talent.

now so far 11 brand new players, will be 13 . Yes looking at them they are all team players like Pope wants and most were options 2-5 on their team so they have proven to be able to lead to good chemistry but you never know. the only way IMO we have a poor season is if something happens to make the locker room sour with bad chemistry. But you'd think with Pope's charisma, he could smooth it over but who knows.

realistically I think we can expect at least 77 ppg ... better defense than Pope had at BYU last year , and a team that will fight hard and play hard. you wont see them lose due to bad coaching mistakes or look completely lost because as Dill just said, they dont have game plans defensively. (SMH, Cal WTF?)

I won't make predictions this early, but I think many fans are not realizing the importance of maturity, experience and defense. Late shot clock "go get a basket" will not be as important as it has been the last 15 years either. And don't forget, most teams this year will be basically starting from scratch. I think we'll get one of those 3 guys and we'll be good to go.

Most of the posters hung up on CAL's way must not have been around for others that won more, did it better than Cal.

Cal is only the 3rd best coach at UK. Plain and simple. Hall would have taken most of his teams and beat Cal by 20, Rupp would have smoked him by 35 points.

Reactions: KFuqua
Him and the big center might be the only 2 taking in the draft from Uconn
Nope. 3 for sure, maybe 4.

CBS draft rankings as of 05/16/2024

Castle - #2 - Lock lotto
Clingan - #7 - lock lotto
Newton - #36 - Will for sure get drafted, maybe even squeeze into the 1st round.

The ONLY possible returnee for them is Karaban, ranked 45th.

Does anyone know how many guys UCONN will get drafted? I know the freshman guard will be drafted.
Castle, Clingan, and Newton will for sure be drafted, Karaban, the big Aussie sophomore is projected mid 2nd round so he may end up coming back. But the other three are gone, 2 in the lotto and Newton will stay in the draft (he will get drafted), he has no eligibility left even if he wanted to come back. Projected 36th by CBS.

I haven't an idea, but I have watched last season's BYU games and hope the guys Pope has assembled are better than they were. If they are noticeably better, we could steamroll a lot of teams. Even very good teams struggled against BYU when the team was hitting. Obviously, that didn't happen every game, but the "on paper" stats of the current crop seem better than those of last year's BYU team.

It just seems that a) people haven't watched BYU's games and b) don't think anything matters except some bozo's evaluation of players. Watch more games, folks. There isn't the huge gap in talent that you seem to imagine. Pope's system is novel. Teams don't come well-prepared to play against it.

Reactions: UK67KU59
You haven’t been paying attention sir. We have to get some slasher studs that can be dudes and create buckets. None of our players know how to pass, and they can barely dribble.
If I never hear, "we need a dude" again, it will be too soon. Almost everyone of our transfers is capable of going off for 20 points in a given night. I know this because they all have. UCONN was the best team in the country last year and their highest scorer averaged 15. We have 2 or 3 that can do that. Our lowest avg scorer is Garrison who averaged 8, as a freshman, in the nation's toughest conference. We will not have trouble scoring.

Obviously, we need to see them play before we can say anything about their potential. For me, the excitement is more about a new coach, new system and new attitude for the program and the fans. It will be a tough journey but I’m looking forward to it.
This is exactly where I am. Have no idea what to expect until we start seeing them play together and how they mesh. But, I am very excited to see Pope's system and style of play more than I have been at UK in years. We had major talent but Cal seemed to poop the bed with it each year lately. I think Rupp will be rocking this year but we will also have to be patient with the process.

My fear is.. What separates this team from what Arkansas did last year? They did the same thing.. went and got 9-10 portal players and tried to get them to mesh.. it didn’t work out.. What will make this KY team different?

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
My fear is.. What separates this team from what Arkansas did last year? They did the same thing.. went and got 9-10 portal players and tried to get them to mesh.. it didn’t work out.. What will make this KY team different?
Coach and they were recruited to fit a system. It wasn't them coming from the portal that hurt their team.

Reactions: Smooth86
Valid point and concern in my opinion. I think we have a really good roster. But how quickly can 12 guys who've never played together become a well oiled machine? Maybe what separates this group from Arky last year is I think Pope went for players who truly wanted to be here. I think they will have winning as a high priority and will commit to doing whatever it takes. It's going to be, at least for me, the most curious season of UK basketball I've ever watched. We could be like Arkansas or we could be like UCONN. Who knows?

Reactions: ganner918
These are different players than those that transferred to Arkansas. Also a different coach. There isn't much similarity.

Hopefully no love triangles between the players as was the rumored issue at Arkansas last year

Pope took BYU to a 6 seed last year in the best conference in America.

He has a better team on paper than that team. Also, the SEC will not be as good as the Big 12 was last year.

This team is a 3-4 seed considering the above. Go to a 5 since BYU does not carry the target UK does if you want, but a 6 seed and top 25 ranking heading in to the tourney is the floor.

This team meshes and hits threes like it looks like they will plus the defensive players we have and they could be a contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT