ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic 2025 Recruiting Class?

Feb 28, 2024
So what does a realistic recruiting class look like for Pope in 2025? It seems like we have a really good shot at 5-6 high level recruits. Thoughts?

It seems obvious based on the players we are recruiting that the goal is to take one blue chipper for each position. Don’t get me wrong, they won’t all start.

Beyond that, I expect to add 2 or 3 more freshmen as longer term pieces. Pope will try to build roster depth in this way, have guys who know the system and culture. The portal will be used to replace unexpected departures.

I think we could sign six in the ‘25 class, just because it seems like a really deep class. I’d say we get 4 minimum. So I’m splitting the difference and saying we get five.

Moreno
Johnson
3/4-star player
3/4-star player
3/4-star player

Return

Oweh
Garrison
Chandler
Perry
Noah

Add three impact veteran portal players

PG
Stretch 4
PF/C

PG Portal/Perry
SG Johnson/Chandler/Recruit
SF Oweh/Noah/Recruit
PF Portal/Portal/Recruit
C Garrison/Moreno

If some guys leave, fill in the blanks with portal guys.

I think we try to sign 4 from the list below and fill out the remainder of the roster from the portal to incorporate more experience and depth.
-Moreno ✔
-Johnson
-Yessoufou
-Riebe
-Mullins
-Wilson
-Ament
-Peterson

Based on what I know of the abilities of each of those recruits as of today, my choice would be:
Johnson
Mullins
Moreno

and one of the following:
Riebe OR Ament OR Yessoufou

UK's 2025 class could very well end up being Moreno, Johnson, Yessoufou and Mullins. Jasper seems to be a done deal and UK very well could be leader for both Yessoufou and Mullins. After that then the staff can decide if they want to continue to pursue Riebe. Also have room for someone you can't say no to like Caleb Wilson. If we get that first 4 I listed that's one hell of a class. Add someone like Wilson or Ament and it's a monster.

IF we end up with that class then AB3 and Jason Hart need to get immediate raises...point...blank...period.

Last edited:
I listed in another thread :
PG - Mikel Brown #15 ESPN
SG - Johnson - #22 ESPN -( ESPN has finally listed him as a SG. They was the last of the major services listed him as PG.) Looking solid.
SF - Yessoufo - #11 ESPN (My#1 must get, will be a star)
PF - Ament - #3 ESPN (I think is a bit too high) ESPN has it 33% Virginia / 29% UK
C - Moreno - #21 ESPN (signed)

If we miss on a couple of those, Mullins #35 ESPN. All 6 I have listed are very realistic. The Boozer / Dybantsa / Peterson trio, IMO are not realistic. Peterson listed as 90% Kansas.
I would be VERY happy with the #3, #15, #11, #21, #22 ranked players. IF we could land that, I would close up shop now.

EDIT : Sorry the rankings was ON3 rankings, not ESPN. Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:
SG - Johnson - #22 ESPN -( ESPN has finally listed him as a SG. They was the last of the major services listed him as PG.) Looking solid.
PF - Ament - #3 ESPN (I think is a bit too high) ESPN has it 33% Virginia / 29% UK

If we miss on a couple of those, Mullins #35 ESPN / McKenney #28 ESPN. All 7 I have listed are very realistic. The Boozer / Dybantsa / Peterson trio, IMO are not realistic. Peterson listed as 90% Kansas.
I would be VERY happy with the #3, #15, #11, #21, #22 ranked players. IF we could land that, I would close up shop now.
I'm glad people are starting to list JJ as a 2g instead of point. I think he can play some sf about as well as 2g too. Yessoufou is a complete stud and you can pencil him in as our sf. Even if his shot is not falling you get drives, dishes, rebounds, defense and more. Whatever the team needs he'll do it and not pout. Love to get Cenak but he is a mystery recruit as he never tips his hand on what he is planning. I'm hoping he'll get tired of all the coaches pestering and move things along. As far as pg, pope must have a good idea on who he is getting, because he is not pushing or keeping Kaden magwood close, and he is an excellent pg. I think our 2nd pg will be an experienced pg from portal, which I understand not wanting 2 freshman PGs at the same time. Or, pope may be so impressed with Travis perry that he'll get a lot of backup pg mins. Pope knows, we don't.

Any update on Bundalo? I really like his game. Seems like a perfect stretch four under Pope who has high upside and will be here for multiple years.

If we miss on a couple of those, Mullins #35 ESPN. All 6 I have listed are very realistic. The Boozer / Dybantsa / Peterson trio, IMO are not realistic. Peterson listed as 90% Kansas.

EDIT : Sorry the rankings was ON3 rankings, not ESPN. Sorry for the mistake.
Maybe I’m just gun shy about relying on Freshmen studs at every position (especially PG) after all these years with Cal, but I really don’t want a class full of elite OAD guys.

Give me Johnson and Moreno, then get some multi year guys who won’t need to play much as Freshmen as our class.

Then grab some veterans in the portal to round out the team.

Don’t want to start 3 or 4 Freshmen and if we sign all of those guys, that’s what we are looking at.

I’d rather see a returning Oweh at the 3 and Garrison at the 5, plus Johnson at the 2, and add an impact, seasoned veteran PG and PF to go with them.

Last edited:
Moreno is a multi year guy. he will have to get stronger / add weight. Which is why getting Garrison back for a 2nd year is crucial. Yessoufou is the only one I mentioned that I would consider definite one and done, but he is just different. His motor never stops and gets better almost daily it seems. I think Ament will have work to do, so not saying all of them start.

Moreno is a multi year guy. he will have to get stronger / add weight. Which is why getting Garrison back for a 2nd year is crucial. Yessoufou is the only one I mentioned that I would consider definite one and done, but he is just different. His motor never stops and gets better almost daily it seems. I think Ament will have work to do, so not saying all of them start.
Ament is a top 5 guy. He’s going to expect to start. I’m okay with that, if you’ve got Garrison at the 5 beside him.

Brown probably will expect to start at PG. I really don’t want a Freshmen PG, especially if we have Johnson penciled in at the 2. A Freshman starting backcourt isn’t very appealing to me.

Give me two Freshmen starting at the 2-4 spots. That’s it.

Well if Pope is promising playing time (he isn't), then that is a problem. ALL players should going into it that they must EARN the spot.
Amen.

But 5-star guys will go elsewhere (where they get those promises) instead of coming here, which is why I don’t expect Pope will get very many unless there is a clear hole to fill.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
If Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry and Noah come back. We got Moreno and I think JJ. We really are lacking a 4 and 3 so I'd say Ament and Yessoufou are my two favorite for a 3 and 4.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
You take Moreno, Jasper, Yessoufou, and Mullins in the Fall.

In the Spring, if you're fortunate enough to get one of them, you take Peterson or Ament.

Sell Peterson on running the show at point guard.

Bring back the five returners. Add two or three portal guys.

We're a little leery of freshmen, but only because Calipari started sucking with them.

A Peterson/Johnson backcourt is better than anything you could get in the portal.

UK's 2025 class could verry well end up being Moreno, Johnson, Yessoufou and Mullins. Jasper seems to be a done deal and UK verry well could be leader for both Yessoufou and Mullins. After that then the staff can decide if they want to continue to pursue Riebe. Also have room for someone you can't say no to like Caleb Wilson. If we get that first 4 I listed that's one hell of a class. Add someone like Wilson or Ament and it's a monster.

IF we end up with that class then AB3 and Jason Hart need to get immediate raises...point...blank...period.
Would love a class of Moreno, Johnson, Yessoufou, and Mullins.
Wilson, Ament, Cenac … watch out.

Exciting times.
An analytical coach with an exciting system. Excellent assistants.
GBB

In the Spring, if you're fortunate enough to get one of them, you take Peterson or Ament.

We're a little leery of freshmen, but only because Calipari started sucking with them.

A Peterson/Johnson backcourt is better than anything you could get in the portal.
I like what you are selling.

As much as I would love to have Peterson, I am afraid he is too involved$$$ with the wrong shoe company. I think we can reel in the rest of those and possibly either Cenac or Wilson.

Ament and Mullins/Chandler/Perry/Noah can be lethal with Johnson and Yessoufou/Oweh driving then Moreno/Garrison passing/rolling to the rim! Would love to have that freshmen class and keep everyone who is not out of eligibility, not sure that happens though.

I think we could sign six in the ‘25 class, just because it seems like a really deep class. I’d say we get 4 minimum. So I’m splitting the difference and saying we get five.

Moreno
Johnson
3/4-star player
3/4-star player
3/4-star player

Return

Oweh
Garrison
Chandler
Perry
Noah

Add three impact veteran portal players

PG
Stretch 4
PF/C

PG Portal/Perry
SG Johnson/Chandler/Recruit
SF Oweh/Noah/Recruit
PF Portal/Portal/Recruit
C Garrison/Moreno

If some guys leave, fill in the blanks with portal guys.
Both the 2025 and 2026 HS classes are very good classes.

Just about unless there are two AA level seniors on the move somehow. I’d definitely take my chances with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT