ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic 2025 Recruiting Class?

We’re not splitting the atom here guys, it’s not this complex life saving equation. Simply put, 45 out of 50 national championships have been won by upperclassmen PGs. A PG is like the quarterback, the head of the offense. All things being equal I’d prefer someone with more experience. It’s not really this off the wall concept. No shit I’d take a John Wall, but how often do those guys come around? I’d prefer an experienced center as well, even though AD was a freshman.
So no Sophomore point guards won?

Guess it depends on your definition of a role player. I didn’t really consider him the go to guy or star of the team. He was the fifth leading scorer and fourth in minutes.

And like you said, his role as a role player was clear. Defensive stopper, playmaker, and a clutch time scorer.

I guess he was a star on a team full of stars.

He wasn’t THE STAR on that team, though.
There wasn't A star, they had 5 guys average double digits in points, they would take turns being THE star different games or all of them was pretty close in scoring during games. In the tournament, especially when the lights was the brightest, he shined as evidenced by the 16/11 against SD State in the Sweet 16 (leading rebounder), 21/5 (leading scorer) in the Final 4 against Alabama, and 15/5 in the championship game (second leading scorer). Role players doesn't have as many big games and get drafted 4th overall in the NBA draft. They just don't. UCONN had 5 guys that took turns being THE star and he was the highest drafted of them all. That is not a "role" player. Best defender and drew the top player from the opposing team and was a very big reason UCONN cut down the nets. If he was needed to score a bunch, he did, if he was needed to rebound, he did, if he was needed to shut down the opposing teams scorer, he did.

There wasn't A star, they had 5 guys average double digits in points, they would take turns being THE star different games or all of them was pretty close in scoring during games. In the tournament, especially when the lights was the brightest, he shined as evidenced by the 16/11 against SD State in the Sweet 16 (leading rebounder), 21/5 (leading scorer) in the Final 4 against Alabama, and 15/5 in the championship game (second leading scorer). Role players doesn't have as many big games and get drafted 4th overall in the NBA draft. They just don't. UCONN had 5 guys that took turns being THE star and he was the highest drafted of them all. That is not a "role" player. Best defender and drew the top player from the opposing team and was a very big reason UCONN cut down the nets. If he was needed to score a bunch, he did, if he was needed to rebound, he did, if he was needed to shut down the opposing teams scorer, he did.
Your definition of role player is just different than mine. You act like it’s a bad thing to play a role on a team. He played a valuable role on the team, but wasn’t the star. That’s a role player. UConn was a team of stars that played their roles. So they were all stars that were also role players. That’s a good thing to have.

Reactions: TriangleUKCat
Your definition of role player is just different than mine. You act like it’s a bad thing to play a role on a team. He played a valuable role on the team, but wasn’t the star. That’s a role player. UConn was a team of stars that played their roles. So they were all stars that were also role players. That’s a good thing to have.
By that definition, ALL 5 starters was role players. They all took turns being the star. There really wasn't a "star", rather than 5 go to guys. He was drafted 4th overall, NOT a role player. A role player is someone who defers to the best players on the team and does the little things to help win games. Is not a player depended on game in and game out to lead the team and doesn't command a team to game plan against them, they would be the player a team would try to have them beat them. Castle was far from that, he was a focal point for teams to try and shut down, not to mention the defensive contributions he provided game in and game out. You simply do not get drafted 4th in the NBA draft by being a role player. Someone like Thiero is a role player, decent contributor, but not depended upon by his team to make plays and win games.

By that definition, ALL 5 starters was role players. They all took turns being the star. There really wasn't a "star", rather than 5 go to guys. He was drafted 4th overall, NOT a role player. A role player is someone who defers to the best players on the team and does the little things to help win games. Is not a player depended on game in and game out to lead the team and doesn't command a team to game plan against them, they would be the player a team would try to have them beat them. Castle was far from that, he was a focal point for teams to try and shut down, not to mention the defensive contributions he provided game in and game out. You simply do not get drafted 4th in the NBA draft by being a role player. Someone like Thiero is a role player, decent contributor, but not depended upon by his team to make plays and win games.
Like I have said multiple times, our definitions of role player and star are different.

Have a great day, brother.

Good debate, appreciate the back and forth discussion. What is your definition of a role player ? I gave you mine, if you don't mind.
Excellent debate.

My definition of a role player is someone who plays a role or maybe several roles on the team that doesn’t necessarily have to be the focal point of the offense or have the ball in his hands all the time or take a bunch of shots every game.

UConn had a team full of guys that played their role perfectly, and they didn’t really have a star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT