ADVERTISEMENT

Reaction(s) From the 34 Yard Line

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
(1) Brock Vandergriff. It was obvious BV loves to run the ball as our first(?) play from scrimmage was a designed QB run. Hamdan used it early and often to settle him in, but then later when BV broke through the pocket and saw 5-10 yards of grass, he broke laterally to preserve passing options . . . .

I think this was all designed, and we’ll see it throughout the season. Let Brock run it two, three times, then use his legs as an extended “play action.” Just when safeties are squeezing up to pop him on a scramble, scramble a tad, then loft it over them to receivers they’ve abandoned responding to the perceived scramble.

If a mobile QB is hell on a defense, just how much worse is a QB who can still gather himself, and throw it into gaps and seams his scramble helped create?

(2) Dumas-Johnson. It didn’t take him very long to “Pop.” He and Djack showed great timing to go with talent and size, and “forced” those first half picks.

(3) THE DEFENSE. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I think our only prior shut out under Stoops was against an FCS team (or two).

Frustratingly, even in the strongest of defensive seasons, we have typically surrendered 10-24 points to outmanned G5 opponents.

Not last night. And I think the Cats could have held the shutout had it gone full regulation time.

(4) Jet Sweeps. I saw more than I’d seen in a single game, last night. Some of these “sweeps” were really short passes (Barrion’s TD) and some were handoffs. The difference is, if you hand it off, it preserves the possibility of a forward pass by the Jet-Sweeper, or by the QB if the ball gets laterelled back to him (Pat Towles to Timmons, in ‘14 at home was after a hand off to the sweeper and two laterals later, Towles threw it to a wide open Ryan Timmons).

(5) Deone Walker. I’m not sure he showed up on the stats, because he was absorbing double-teams and chipping backs all night long. The Weaver sack on the stadium replay looked ridiculously easy, with literally no hat even trying to block Weaver. W/O watching the detailed replay, I suspect two or three Southern Miss players were paying attention to Deone’s side, allowing Weaver’s clean shot.

And we used Deone well: he lined up as Nose, as tackle and even as a stand up Jack, forcing them to adjust how they doubled and tripled him. And frankly, Southern Miss did a good job of stopping him, whilst allowing the rest of our defense to eat.

(6) Macklin. A damn fine addition to a damn fine combo of Key and Brown.

(7) Tailback by Committee: So far, so good, but the members are so similar in size and style, it’s hard to tell who is in. When our Thumper returns in two/three weeks, we might find ourselves with the deepest tailback room in program history.

(8) Raynor (the Field Goal kicker). He is not the most powerful in program history, but will no doubt set the record for accuracy. Hell, narrow the uprights by half, and he’s nailing 80 percent. And his fairly lengthy kick last night (what, 40ish yards?) solidly hit the net. He was money from 50 last year. Has he strengthened enough to go 52-54???

(9) Rybka. Coach White spoke to the QB Club Friday evening and mentioned his steady improvement. He was very active, and got that very tough “submarine” sack.

(10) The New Lighting System. Pretty cool ish . . . .

Maybe it helped the crowd hold out for 2 plus hours for kickoff.

(11) The Kentucky Crowd. We did ourselves proud. An hour into the delay, a neighbor said “this will show who the real fans are.” I seriously believe we were at 95 percent (plus) of the original crowd when we kicked off. And the students who slowly file into the upper deck typically throughout the first Q were slowly filling the upper deck up for like an hour into the delay . . . they damn-near filled it up!!

(12) The Student Body: we now have an SEC student body. Those kids were having a blast with the music the second hour of the delay.

(1) Brock Vandergriff. It was obvious BV loves to run the ball as our first(?) play from scrimmage was a designed QB run. Hamdan used it early and often to settle him in, but then later when BV broke through the pocket and saw 5-10 yards of grass, he broke laterally to preserve passing options . . . .

I think this was all designed, and we’ll see it throughout the season. Let Brock run it two, three times, then use his legs as an extended “play action.” Just when safeties are squeezing up to pop him on a scramble, scramble a tad, then loft it over them to receivers they’ve abandoned responding to the perceived scramble.

If a mobile QB is hell on a defense, just how much worse is a QB who can still gather himself, and throw it into gaps and seams his scramble helped create?

(2) Dumas-Johnson. It didn’t take him very long to “Pop.” He and Djack showed great timing to go with talent and size, and “forced” those first half picks.

(3) THE DEFENSE. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I think our only prior shut out under Stoops was against an FCS team (or two).

Frustratingly, even in the strongest of defensive seasons, we have typically surrendered 10-24 points to outmanned G5 opponents.

Not last night. And I think the Cats could have held the shutout had it gone full regulation time.

(4) Jet Sweeps. I saw more than I’d seen in a single game, last night. Some of these “sweeps” were really short passes (Barrion’s TD) and some were handoffs. The difference is, if you hand it off, it preserves the possibility of a forward pass by the Jet-Sweeper, or by the QB if the ball gets laterelled back to him (Pat Towles to Timmons, in ‘14 at home was after a hand off to the sweeper and two laterals later, Towles threw it to a wide open Ryan Timmons).

(5) Deone Walker. I’m not sure he showed up on the stats, because he was absorbing double-teams and chipping backs all night long. The Weaver sack on the stadium replay looked ridiculously easy, with literally no hat even trying to block Weaver. W/O watching the detailed replay, I suspect two or three Southern Miss players were paying attention to Deone’s side, allowing Weaver’s clean shot.

And we used Deone well: he lined up as Nose, as tackle and even as a stand up Jack, forcing them to adjust how they doubled and tripled him. And frankly, Southern Miss did a good job of stopping him, whilst allowing the rest of our defense to eat.

(7) Tailback by Committee: So far, so good, but the members are so similar in size and style, it’s hard to tell who is in. When our Thumper returns in two/three weeks, we might find ourselves with the deepest tailback room in program history.

(8) Raynor (the Field Goal kicker). He is not the most powerful in program history, but will no doubt set the record for accuracy. Hell, narrow the uprights by half, and he’s nailing 80 percent. And his fairly lengthy kick last night (what, 40ish yards?) solidly hit the net. He was money from 50 last year. Has he strengthened enough to go 52-54???

(9) Rybka. Coach White spoke to the QB Club Friday evening and mentioned his steady improvement. He was very active, and got that very tough “submarine” sack.

(11) The Kentucky Crowd. We did ourselves proud. An hour into the delay, a neighbor said “this will show who the real fans are.” I seriously believe we were at 95 percent (plus) of the original crowd when we kicked off. And the students who slowly file into the upper deck typically throughout the first Q were slowly filling the upper deck up for like an hour into the delay . . . they damn-near filled it up!!

(12) The Student Body: we now have an SEC student body. Those kids were having a blast with the music the second hour of the delay.
I was there and couldn’t have said it better myself!

It was interesting to see things like Deone play LB (not surprisingly they ran the other way) and EDGE. There was one sack where Deone just pushed his OL into the QB, someone else was there and got the credit but Deone made it happen.

Seems like regardless of personnel, we’ll jump into a no receiver set quickly and RB dive. After about the third time we did it I said, “feels like not much of a play, but if you bait them into this enough, the edges are gonna be totally free for a QB bootleg. Very next play, Brock rolls to his right, Dingle goes to the edge and boom, TD. I really like the OCs concepts, just gotta stay healthy.

Interestingly, I think it’s an offense Wimsatt could actually run, though not as well. I think we know that the injury but could bite and it sucks to change playbooks midstream.

it’s the Jet Sweep RPO baby!! All this jet sweep and QB run threat also works to get single coverage on Key or Brown on the right side. The play before the first Brown TD, the defense left Key wide open in the end zone, but Brock was under pressure and didn’t see him. I think the concept is apply so many possibilities, make the defense make a mistake. That leaves a lot on Brock to make that decision but I think he’s capable.

Reactions: The-Hack
it’s the Jet Sweep RPO baby!! All this jet sweep and QB run threat also works to get single coverage on Key or Brown on the right side.

Yes.

And it likely sets up D-linemen to get trapped leaning or going heavy on the left or right foot. We had some trouble in the first quarter gashing the middle, then all three backs went for ten or more between the tackles before they called it for lightning.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Yes.

And it likely sets up D-linemen to get trapped leaning or going heavy on the left or right foot. We had some trouble in the first quarter gashing the middle, then all three backs went for ten or more between the tackles before they called it for lightning.

Someone gave their scouting report on BV and declared him not much of a running threat, tried to tell you guys that just wasn't true. Now I would rather him be sliding instead of leading with his shoulder. But he had a good game and UK's offense looked much improved.

Nice post Hack but concerning #7 benny boom and smoke made for a deeeep tb room

Nice post Hack but concerning #7 benny boom and smoke made for a deeeep tb room

Yes.

As did George Adams, Mark Higgs and
Mark Logan.

But as in your example, that is three names. We will hear four names at that spot in a few more weeks.

Doug umpired for me in HS when I headed up little league baseball umpire training & assignments in Kenton Cty.

I have a client working on some business dealings with D. Pelphrey. My client attended the QB Club meeting with me Friday evening.

He had an epiphany at dinner: “Hell, I ought to introduce you guys.” Uuuuh, yeah, that would be cool!!!

Reactions: vhcat70
Someone gave their scouting report on BV and declared him not much of a running threat, tried to tell you guys that just wasn't true. Now I would rather him be sliding instead of leading with his shoulder. But he had a good game and UK's offense looked much improved.

That Georgia boy looked pretty good, Grumpy. He has real foot speed, a good feel for the pocket around him, makes quick decisions, and has a strong arm. Makes me think Georgia High School football is pretty darn good. 😀

As to that head first, bowling ball mentality . . . there were voices in the stadium saying “save that sh!t for Georgia and Texas.”

Pop done good, too.

Any more AA’s and 5 Star players that Kirby has no room for. . . point them up I-75, tell them to hold their nose through Knoxville, and not stop until they’ve seen their third thoroughbred horse grazing next to the Interstate.

That Georgia boy looked pretty good, Grumpy. He has real foot speed, a good feel for the pocket around him, makes quick decisions, and has a strong arm. Makes me think Georgia High School football is pretty darn good. 😀

As to that head first, bowling ball mentality . . . there were voices in the stadium saying “save that sh!t for Georgia and Texas.”

Pop done good, too.

Any more AA’s and 5 Star players that Kirby has no room for. . . point them up I-75, tell them to hold their nose through Knoxville, and not stop until they’ve seen their third thoroughbred horse grazing next to the Interstate.

Both made good decisions for their playing time, JDJ was going to see his snap count drop, and BV wanted to play. Both good guys and good at what they do. Regardless of how our season goes we will have kids leaving. Hopefully we can win 10 and have a shot. But lots of offense showed up in SEC. AU scored over 70, Bama and the vols too, we got all 3 of those. Texas and OM were up there too, got those 2 and UK always plays us tough.

Reactions: The-Hack
Agree with OP.

Would like to add:
1. OL played pretty solid. Found their groove after the first few drives and were in control of the LOS.
2. Liked that we worked middle of the field for a couple of nice gains. Thought we wouldn't see anything to the TEs until Dingle snuck out in the flat for the last TD (great play call, btw).
3. Thought the offensive philosophy looked a lot more like a COLLEGE offense than a McVey/NFL offense and I wholeheartedly approve. Didn't see a single snap where 2 OL were looking at each other and arguing who should've blocked who after the play. Did not sense any confusion in the formations, snap count, execution. Miles ahead of where we've been the past few years, imo. Hamden, Wolf, Vince, etc. should all be happy with their squads' performance last night.
4. Seems like most of the QB pressure came from the DL, not LBs. Really wanted to see some of our edge guys be in the QBs face more often. We absolutely have to put more pressure on the QB. So Miss QB didn't have a ton of time, for sure, but that was due to Deone, Rypka, Silver & co. more so than DJ, Pop, Fearby, JJ, et al.
5. Played at a faster tempo (how could it have gotten slower) - good to see.
6. Loved that we tried to score in the last 2 minutes of the half (and did) instead of letting the air out of the ball. Thought the 3 long passes in a row in the 3rd was very smart. No way So Miss thought we'd throw deep 3 plays in a row and we got a big gain out of it.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how well we played and looked more like a cohesive team than in years' past.

Only shutouts under CMS is Youngstown St in 2022 (31-0) and now Southern Miss (also 31-0 ... weird).
Near misses:
Miami, OH 41-7 in 2013
Vandy 17-7, Ohio 20-3 in 2014
Miss St 28-7, Vandy 14-7 in 2018
Missouri 29-7 and Tenn-Martin 50-7 in 2019
Miss St 24-2 in 2020
Akron 35-3 and Miss St 24-3 in 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT