ADVERTISEMENT

RB Chris Rodriquez

Yes but now it's been said UK is going after JUCO RB Kevin Perkins

6' 230 RB... Sounds like a beast.

Reactions: mrschwump
Pechac at #34 and Rodriguez at #50ish overall at RB could turn into real studs after a RS year. Being able to RS both would mean that UK is lucky with RB injuries, though.

If the top 20 are out of reach RS'ing 2 top 50 RB is the best move UK could make at this point regarding the RB position. Florida did the same last year. They couldn't get a top notch RB and redshirted both RB they signed that were ranked right at 25 or so. That year of RS'ing both top 25-30 RB produced 2 RB that are comparable to a couple top 10 RBs they'd have signed in this class.

I think UK is in a similar position. Sign 2 top 35-50 rated RB, RS both, and end up with 2
Top 15-20ish rated RB after spending a year RS'ing in comparison to signed a top 15 RB that would expect immediate PT.

Basically, I think signing the #34 & #50 RB and RS'ing them is the same as signing a top 15 RB that wouldn't ever RS and expect immediate PT.

Pechac and Rodriguez after a RS year are WAY better than any RB UK can bring in this class.

For this to work, we need to have Snell, King, Rose, and Koback have mostly injury free years.

Then if Snell leaves after 3 seasons, we still have Pechac and Rodriguez as RS-SO with 3 years eligibility remaining.

I think that is close to what we end up with in this class.

I'm my completely worthless opinion as always.

Pechac at #34 and Rodriguez at #50ish overall at RB could turn into real studs after a RS year. Being able to RS both would mean that UK is lucky with RB injuries, though.

If the top 20 are out of reach RS'ing 2 top 50 RB is the best move UK could make at this point regarding the RB position. Florida did the same last year. They couldn't get a top notch RB and redshirted both RB they signed that were ranked right at 25 or so. That year of RS'ing both top 25-30 RB produced 2 RB that are comparable to a couple top 10 RBs they'd have signed in this class.

I think UK is in a similar position. Sign 2 top 35-50 rated RB, RS both, and end up with 2
Top 15-20ish rated RB after spending a year RS'ing in comparison to signed a top 15 RB that would expect immediate PT.

Basically, I think signing the #34 & #50 RB and RS'ing them is the same as signing a top 15 RB that wouldn't ever RS and expect immediate PT.

Pechac and Rodriguez after a RS year are WAY better than any RB UK can bring in this class.

For this to work, we need to have Snell, King, Rose, and Koback have mostly injury free years.

Then if Snell leaves after 3 seasons, we still have Pechac and Rodriguez as RS-SO with 3 years eligibility remaining.

Running backs are tough to rate. Take Snell he is clearly a top 5 running back from his class. Vision and balance dont show up in camp settings. Speed is not all that important for a rb at the college level.

Reactions: The-Hack
Running backs are tough to rate. Take Snell he is clearly a top 5 running back from his class. Vision and balance dont show up in camp settings. Speed is not all that important for a rb at the college level.

After watching film on Rodriguez, even though he appears to lack elite speed (I really like Lavonte Valentine's film on that), he seems to have really good feet & balance b/c he jukes tons of guys. Guys just don't seem to get a solid hit on him, and he always seems to fall forward.

Reactions: Tcat_2
Yea speed is important, 40 times in underwear Shouldn't mean as much tho. IMO
For a rb a guy can run slow and still be productive. I just dont think outside the top 2 or 3 you can seperate from the top 50 or so.

Reactions: The-Hack
I agree 3kids, the best combo of intangibles and athleticism is what it's about. And in that order imo

Yes but now it's been said UK is going after JUCO RB Kevin Perkins

6' 230 RB... Sounds like a beast.

His senior Hudl video looks good. Looks like he signed with Central Ark out of HS as a 2 star. Anyone know his story?

Last edited:

I see advantages to RS most positions, but I just don't see much of an advantage for RB . A RS isn't going to create better vision, balance or cutting ability, and a RS isn't going to develope those skills. Signing a RB with plans of RS him is not the best way to spend a scholarship. DL and OL are much harder to predict and will always be the slots that benefit the most from a RS just to get bigger, or move weight around, and stronger.

Some don't but I expect UK to sign 2 RBs.
Think they are counting on Bowden to play some RB (slot WR and some wildcat QB) so with he and Koback, it's really unlikely that we take 2 RBs in this class. Especially since we have missed on all of our top targets at this point.

Thanks.

Over ten yards per carry, about 20 yards per reception, great GPA, great size, how did he end up in a JC?
From what I've read, he didn't get the offers he wanted out of HS so he went JUCO to develop some more.

Reactions: jauk11
How have we moved on from Pechac so quickly? We didnt hear about him until last week and now they already moved on?? That doesnt make much sense to me

I'd say he's been in the pipeline for some time, doubt they just found out about him.

I'd say he's been in the pipeline for some time, doubt they just found out about him.
Generally if a guy camps and does not get the offer the staff has reservations. Gran is one of the best rb coaches in the country. If he passes i have zero concern. I just dont see starter potential with Pechac. He looks like a 3rd rb plus special teamer. After Snell Rose and King combine for 2300 yards we may get a really good one late.

Makes sense if he only went to JC in order to get to a better program, and it certainly doesn't sound like he did it because of grades.

Didn't he enroll at Ark St and then leave for Juco. I suspect he has no frosh stats because he was at Arky St.

Damn, 6' 230? If he has any quickness/athleticism at all he will embarrass some people. I'm all about a Boom type of burner but after watching BS savage opposing Ds last year I like the thought of getting another bruiser. There's a reason he was only a 2 star coming out of HS but if Gran likes him it's all good, dudes one of the best RB coaches in the country. It's a position that I have no worries about, no matter the rankings.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I am thinking of Rafael Little. He must not have been all that fast. Didn't make it in NFL, and in the Louisville game he broke wide open and Rod Council ran him down. BUT -- Rafael had some kind of knack that made him a great back for Kentucky. This is just to support somebody else's point that measurables don't always lead to the best running back.

Think they are counting on Bowden to play some RB (slot WR and some wildcat QB) so with he and Koback, it's really unlikely that we take 2 RBs in this class. Especially since we have missed on all of our top targets at this point.

True.

Eddie Gran said we have 3 scholarships for RB's in the next two classes.

Reactions: TNTUK
3 RB for the next 2 classes? Sounds right. Sign 2 lower rated RB this season that can RS unless needed and won't scare off a nip notch RB next class. The only time I would RS a RB is if he is good enough to play right know or he has a chance to leave in 3 years.

Otherwise, there's no way Rodriguez and Pechac will make an all SEC type back as a SR. Give each another year to work on their speed, the playbook, good weight vs. Bad weight, etc. There's no reason UK wouldn't be better off with a RS-SR Rodriguez and Pechac sharing carries in their 5th year after only seeing starts due to injury's. Snell, Rose, Koback, and King need to stay healthy this year. With Snell here for 2 more seasons, at least. I'd much rather have 2 RS-SO's in Pechac and Rodriquez along with whoever UK signs at RB in the next class as a RS-FR to help ease the MASSIVE loss of Snell by bringing in talented RB, Coaching them up, and keeping as much eligibility as possible.

I think Pechac is rated #34. If you take the #34 RB and RS him, I think as a RS-FR his talent compares to a Top 20 FR RB.

Rodriguez is rated somewhere between 45 and 81. Again, it might take 5 years of being a backup, but in his 5th yr the RB position would be in great hands with C-Rod and Pechac.

3 RB for the next 2 classes? Sounds right. Sign 2 lower rated RB this season that can RS unless needed and won't scare off a nip notch RB next class. The only time I would RS a RB is if he is good enough to play right know or he has a chance to leave in 3 years.

Otherwise, there's no way Rodriguez and Pechac will make an all SEC type back as a SR. Give each another year to work on their speed, the playbook, good weight vs. Bad weight, etc. There's no reason UK wouldn't be better off with a RS-SR Rodriguez and Pechac sharing carries in their 5th year after only seeing starts due to injury's. Snell, Rose, Koback, and King need to stay healthy this year. With Snell here for 2 more seasons, at least. I'd much rather have 2 RS-SO's in Pechac and Rodriquez along with whoever UK signs at RB in the next class as a RS-FR to help ease the MASSIVE loss of Snell by bringing in talented RB, Coaching them up, and keeping as much eligibility as possible.

I think Pechac is rated #34. If you take the #34 RB and RS him, I think as a RS-FR his talent compares to a Top 20 FR RB.

Rodriguez is rated somewhere between 45 and 81. Again, it might take 5 years of being a backup, but in his 5th yr the RB position would be in great hands with C-Rod and Pechac.
I think your overthinking this rb scenario. Generally a stud is going to be a stud running backs play early 90 percent of the time unless you got two or three studs.

Reactions: Tcat_2
Current backfield:
RS-JR Siheim King
SO - Benny Snell
SO - AJ Rose
FR- Bryant Koback

If you handed me the realms, I RS Koback this season and use Bowden, J Will, and other talented runners to get the ball up field.

RS-SR - Siheim King
JR - Benny Snell
JR - AJ Rose
RS-FR - Bryant Koback
FR - Kristian Pechac
FR - Chris Rodriguez

Benny has to leave if his career doesn't take a massive hit.

SR - AJ Rose
RS-SO - Bryant Koback
RS-FR - Kristian Pechac
RS-FR - Chris Rodriguez
FR - STUD 4* RB

One of Pechac and Rodriquez will probably move on due to having 3 RB in his graduating class. Let's say it is Rodriguez who pulls a Dyshawn Mobley.

RS-JR - Bryant Koback
RS-SO - Kristian Pechac
SO - STUD 4* RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB

Next up.

RS-SR - Bryant Koback
RS-JR - Kristian Pechac
JR STUD 4* RB
SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-FR - 5.5-5.7 RB
FR - A VERY NICE 4* RB

AFTERWARDS...

RS-SR - Kristian Pechac
SR - STUD 4* RB
RS-SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
SO - VERY NICE 4* RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB

One of the RS-SO sees that he'll never play here.

RS-JR - 5.6-5.7 RB
JR - VERY NICE 4* RB
SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-FR . 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - STUD 4* RB

Rinse and repeat,

RS-SR - 5.6-5.7 RB
SR - VERY NICE 4* RB
RS-SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-SO - 5.5-5.7 RB
SO - STUD 4* RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB

One of the RS-SO RB leaves to see more PT.

RS-JR - 5.6-5.7 RB
JR - STUD 4* RB
SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - STUD TOP 20 RB

Guess what comes next?

RS-SR - 5.6-5.7 RB
SR - STUD 4* RB
RS-SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
SO - STUD TOP 20 RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR - 5.6-5.7 RB

Lose another RS-SO - RB

RS-JR - 5.6-5.7 RB
JR - STUD TOP 20 RB
SO - 5.6-5.7 RB
RS-FR - 5.6-5.7 RB
FR -TOP 20 RB

I think this would be the most competitive way to keep UKs RB a strength. Sign a Pechac and Rodriquez one year and a real solid RB the next year. Always have 4 RB on hand that can contribute. Have 2 3* RB brought in every other year. See which one pans out most, try to keep the other, but Grant him a release if so desired.

This way UK is only hunting a STUD RB every other season without hurting the RB talent level. In some seasons, the RS-SO RB will outplay the top 20 RB brought in and he may look elsewhere.

Basically as the staff has said, 3 RB in every 2 classes. Take 2 solid RB in the top 50 or so one year and swing for the fences the next. Those top 50 RB with a RS year could very well turn into 5th year starters and play out of their minds.

If I were in charge of recruiting RB, this is the blueprint I would use. If you strike out on a Top 20 RB one year, you'll still have 2 RS-FR Top 50ish RBs that will more than pull there weight without battling a FR star.

It appears that UK has little trouble finding 5.6-5-7 level RB ready to commit. Use them. Give them a year in the system while the underclassmen carry the load.

Basically, I think a RB ranked 50th after given a RS year, is not going to be very behind AT ALL to a 25th ranked RB that never sat a year out. As a RS-SR that 50th ranked RB will learn more in that extra year that will make him more valuable than the 25th ranked RB in his 4th year as a SR.

UK might lose some players asked to RS and players ranked 20th to RS-SO who have grown in their mind and body.

There's loads of RB ranked between #34 and #86 (5.6-5.7) in each class seemingly. UK should bring 2 in, RS them, and just see the monsters 5 years of training a RB will produce.

On the alternating season, I make it very clear to all FR that UK is signing 1 RB AND you will have a better chance to sign with nobody even close to your top 20 ranking in 3 years. You have the chance to start as a SO in the SEC and get more publicity than you'd ever care for.

This way if alternating produces the gems that fall between cracks and entice the top RB to come to UK and win the starting job as merely a SO! Would be so tempting to them all.

Especially when Bama, Florida, UT, Auburn, Georgia, FSU, Clemson, and FSU are currently just finding the best RB in the nation and going all after them. Let your current stable of RB be damned. They must sign the absolute best RB each and every season without a long term plan in sight.

It is complete madness. Alabama and FSU sign over 1 5* RB ON AVERAGE over the last few years. After landing the #1 overall RB combined with all their other top 4-5* recruits on campus, Georgia is actually looking for yet another elite 4/5* RB to finish out the class. The depth they build is replaced every year until a player has a single breakout performance. Then he is deemed the anointed one for Bulldog future.

I know it isn't quite like that, but Alabama signing 2 5* RB in a single class makes absolutely no sense to me. Only 1 can carry the ball. They're aware of that, right?

Rose AND his coaches are going to be mad as hell at you, he redshirted for nothing according to your scenario.

Aside from that I think you are setting your sights too low, I think we should sign a four star every year, in actuality if not on paper, the SEC demands it. And Perkins could be that one, like Snell has proven to be a four star (at least) in performance. I think the OL we have should attract a lot of very good RBs, and the quality should be there for the foreseeable future in our OL. I don't like just "settling" for someone that you don't really believe is SEC quality, but that is up to our staff and I trust their evaluations. And who knows what they really think the ceiling is for these three backs for instance, I know I don't.

I am thinking of Rafael Little. He must not have been all that fast. Didn't make it in NFL, and in the Louisville game he broke wide open and Rod Council ran him down. BUT -- Rafael had some kind of knack that made him a great back for Kentucky. This is just to support somebody else's point that measurables don't always lead to the best running back.

He had great vision and was incredibly elusive, in addition, his lateral quickness was off the charts. Was also a pretty highly thought of 3 star in high school.

Reactions: LeWiz
By signing a 5.6 and 5.7 rated player, my goal in the matter was to find a gem that was looked over. I figured signing both a 5.6 & 5.7 in the same class would give us twice the chances of finding an elite RB, as where we lucked into Benny Snell. I don't think there's much, if any, difference between signing a single RB ranked 20th and signing the 34th and 60th ranked RBs. The lower rated RBs are much more likely to red shirt and knowing how the 20th RB vs the 34th RB vs the 60th RB is going to play throughout an entire season, 2 years after (or so) they all even started to attend practices. Much less practice with the 1st team Offense against the 1st team Defense. Nobody could predict which of the 3 would have the better season. Numbers would say that if #34 had a RS season and were tossed in as a RS-SO like this scenario, he would average more yards per carry, score more, get injured less, and receive less penalty flags than the #20 RB who is a true SO and an entire season behind that RS-SO - #34 rated RB. These are young kids with body still growing and tryimg to get their priorities in check. I'd argue that QB, WR, & RB are the most glamorous jobs in football. Why is there such a higher percentage of QB and WR redshirted? I know why. Because how will the Alabama 5* RB from this year beat out the 2 RB they signed last year by giving a year up!

Anymore, I wish RB could declare for the NFL Draft at any time in their lives. Diploma be fanned Are you 16, ranked #1 at RB, AND WANT TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Get off your ass in Tallaloosca and come play for the Houston Oilers, St Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, LA Raiders, Baltimore Colts, and all the teams in the greatest sport's league EVER. THE NFL, BABY!

Reactions: Poetax
Rose AND his coaches are going to be mad as hell at you, he redshirted for nothing according to your scenario.

Aside from that I think you are setting your sights too low, I think we should sign a four star every year, in actuality if not on paper, the SEC demands it. And Perkins could be that one, like Snell has proven to be a four star (at least) in performance. I think the OL we have should attract a lot of very good RBs, and the quality should be there for the foreseeable future in our OL. I don't like just "settling" for someone that you don't really believe is SEC quality, but that is up to our staff and I trust their evaluations. And who knows what they really think the ceiling is for these three backs for instance, I know I don't.
I said unless there is studs in front. Rose not a very good example. Rose was in line to play before getting dinged up. Not to mention Boom snell and Kemp all averaged over 5 ypc.

Some don't but I expect UK to sign 2 RBs.
We should sign 2 running backs. Right now, we only have 4 scholarship running backs. For a P5 team, that's a bare minimum number. Sihiem King is a senior. And Snell could be gone in the next two years. So we need 2 more.

A RS isn't going to create better vision, balance or cutting ability, and a RS isn't going to develope those skills. Signing a RB with plans of RS him is not the best way to spend a scholarship.
Georgia and Kentucky have used a lot of running backs successfully as true freshmen. But many SEC teams typically redshirt most of their running backs. A redshirt won't improve certain physical tools like vision and top end speed. But a redshirt can improve a running back's understanding of the offense and help with skills like blocking, timing, pass catching. Players get stronger and better conditioned during a redshirt season. This applies to AJ Rose, so we will see how well he plays this year. It should be an individual assessment.

Georgia and Kentucky have used a lot of running backs successfully as true freshmen. But many SEC teams typically redshirt most of their running backs. A redshirt won't improve certain physical tools like vision and top end speed. But a redshirt can improve a running back's understanding of the offense and help with skills like blocking, timing, pass catching. Players get stronger and better conditioned during a redshirt season. This applies to AJ Rose, so we will see how well he plays this year. It should be an individual assessment.
Valid points. Hope Rose shows the potential of them.

We should sign 2 running backs. Right now, we only have 4 scholarship running backs. For a P5 team, that's a bare minimum number. Sihiem King is a senior. And Snell could be gone in the next two years. So we need 2 more.
I believe King is a RS Jr this year.

ADVERTISEMENT