ADVERTISEMENT

Ran my model for the first time today…

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
Had a little holiday downtime so I did some testing this morning and updated my NCAA Tournament predictive model for 23-24.

Haven’t published yet and may not for a while. Kentucky slides in at 11th going into tonight’s game.

We are in a virtual tie with Duke. Duke is 10th at 2.169. We are at 2.160.

For those who don’t remember, the model predicts number of tournament wins. So this is roughly saying we look like a solid Sweet 16 team so far.

Last edited:
Had a little holiday downtime so I did some testing this morning and updated my NCAA Tournament predictive model for 23-24.

Haven’t published yet and may not for a while. Kentucky slides in at 11th going into tonight’s game.

For those who don’t remember, the model predicts number of tournament wins. So this is roughly saying we look like a solid Sweet 16 team so far.
Does your model have Purdue at 1?

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I forgot to check Aike - how did your model hold up last year?

Not sure about Iowa State. One thing I do know, BYU and the Fighting Mark Pope’s should be a tournament team this year. They’re legit. Btw, I really like models, too. Stalking or otherwise!

So who did the model predict in last year’s FF?

I was gonna say, Marquette had to be in the top5. They looked real good the other night against Purdue.

Reactions: Aike
We moved up from 11th to 10th after last night, but our overall score jumped from 2.16 to 2.68.

Less than 0.25 points currently separate 2nd place from 10th place.

Arizona is now easily number one after the Iowa St. and Bama losses.

Aike, where does your model rank our defense/offense? KP has us really low, in 60's.

I am not familiar with how the models work really...do they weigh specific metrics based off SOS, etc?

Aike, where does your model rank our defense/offense? KP has us really low, in 60's.

I am not familiar with how the models work really...do they weigh specific metrics based off SOS, etc?
I don’t split it up by offense/defense. The model does include both offensive and defensive metrics, as well as SOS.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, I could do some math to split it out by offense/defense, but it wouldn’t exactly be clean with the way the current model is set up.

It’s fair to say that offensive stats are driving our success now more then defensive stats, but I do see some positives on the defensive end as well.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I don’t split it up by offense/defense. The model does include both offensive and defensive metrics, as well as SOS.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, I could do some math to split it out by offense/defense, but it wouldn’t exactly be clean with the way the current model is set up.

It’s fair to say that offensive stats are driving our success now more then defensive stats, but I do see some positives on the defensive end as well.

Waiting GIF

• Haha
Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT