ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Paul Finebaum today about Kentucky

Today, Tom Leach said Gene Chiz has an NFL scout friend who informed that UK looks like an SEC team for the first time in his experience, echoing what Marrow said a couple of weeks back.
Have heard the same thing for years now. Every single year there are folks who go to Fan Day and say this team finally looks like an SEC team. "Experts" say this is the first team KY has had in a long while that looks like SEC players. Media with the same comments every preseason.

Tired of the KY players "looking" like SEC players. I want to see them all play like SEC players when it matters and look like an SEC team when they play opponents they are much better than.

8 wins or bust.

SEC Now talked about Wilson this morning.One of the guys said he had talked to Hinshaw and that Wilson might be the fastest player on the team and his throwing was ahead of where they thought it would be at this point.

It is hard to believe they(coaches) didn't know this for longer than they have let on,but it could be possible I guess.

Many posters here have pointed out Wilson's throwing issues. Hinshaw recruited Wilson with full knowledge, evidently feeling that the issues could be improved upon by coaching and hard work. That is why simply watching TW's Juco games is insufficient to adjudge his current status as a QB. I doubt TW is a finished product, but my hope is that what we see looks good on Saturday.

Reactions: UKUGA
Have heard the same thing for years now. Every single year there are folks who go to Fan Day and say this team finally looks like an SEC team. "Experts" say this is the first team KY has had in a long while that looks like SEC players. Media with the same comments every preseason.

Tired of the KY players "looking" like SEC players. I want to see them all play like SEC players when it matters and look like an SEC team when they play opponents they are much better than.

8 wins or bust.

I don't remember NFL scouts saying that for years. And, for the past few years, UK has had few NFL players. So, rather than dismiss the comment of a scout as a pessimist, I will accept that the scout was not making the comment that fans at Fan Day have said for years.

Many posters here have pointed out Wilson's throwing issues. Hinshaw recruited Wilson with full knowledge, evidently feeling that the issues could be improved upon by coaching and hard work. That is why simply watching TW's Juco games is insufficient to adjudge his current status as a QB. I doubt TW is a finished product, but my hope is that what we see looks good on Saturday.
Agree, my point was I doubt that being ahead of schedule at this point(throwing) took place in the last week or so. Likely the coaches saw this some time ago.I'm glad we only have to wait a couple of days to see what we see for ourselves. No doubt he is nowhere near a finished product but we will get an idea where he is starting from now. I think a fair baseline reference point is thinking back to Johnson 2 years ago.

Hinshaw seems to love his motion. Good mechanics is step one.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
The issue with that team was a lack of quality depth. Top 11 on O, especially the skill positions as you point out were probably better, except at RB.

However, imo games are won in the trenches in the SEC and I think the 2018 version of the Cats are deeper and more talented on the OL and DL than 2007. Let’s hope that translates well.
Hope youre right!

Reactions: TNTUK
UK's level of success depends on the QB play. If we get good play from Wilson...we can win 8 if the D also improves. We know we have a great running game.

When asked about the SDS prediction of Kentucky going 4-8 Paul said "Kentucky has an infinitely better chance of going 8-4" he went on to say that Kentucky has a chance to beat everyone on our schedule even Georgia at home.
SMDH. yeah ok.

If terry wilson is marginally better than an injured SJ.... And we don't fall off the cliff in the kicking game, we should win 7. Imagine if wilson is wayyy better than SJ.

This season is going to be interesting to say the least. I think the East is making headway in getting back to a competitive balance with the West, which is good for not only the East but the entire conference. With that improvement there are some fanbases expecting big jumps from last season. In the East, everyone except maybe Vandy is expecting 8 wins with 4 hoping for more. I guess all are hoping for more, but 4 fanbases realistically have reasons to think more than 8.

Vandy just hasn't been a part of an improving East, they are falling farther behind every year and are now at pre Franklin level, getting an SEC win will likely be an upset.

Missouri is getting alot of love from the media, offensively they supposely have a top 2 OL, a top 2 QB, top receiving TE, a 1000 yard rusher, the downside is they are changing offensive schemes to help their D out I guess/ They will be able to score, just don't know if they can stop enough people to get to 8 wins. I think they push UT for 5th in the East, don't see 8 wins.

UT is looking for immediate improvement, fans are expecting 8 wins with outside shot at 10. Bringing in multiple grad transfers, JUCOs/ But still no proven QB, no proven RB, a makeshift OL and some question marks on D. Plus what might be the toughest 5 game stretch in college football this year. Getting to a bowl would be a successful year, but Pruitt is recruiting very well, they may be top 10 in 19. Don't think they stay down very long, if Fulmer doesn't mettle.

UF is different than everyone else, they had what is amounting to a signing class of near 40, signing their 18 class, bringing in 3-4 grad transfers, bringing in a couple more transfers who were given immediate eligibility and getting 9 players suspended for the 17 season back improves their roster a great deal., probably more than anyone's in the conference just because of numbers. Then there is the new coaching staff, Mullen doesn't have his guy at QB, but the offense won't be any worse than 17 and with all the skill players added should be much better. Many UF fans are expecting 10+ wins and playing in the SEC championship game.

Carolina lost alot of the defense, but have brought in some grad transfers and transfers to get a quick fix, gone is Hayden Hurst the TE. They return alot of their offense, get Debo Samuel back from injury. plus a deep group fo WR to help him out. They return their starting RB from injury too, but I don't think he is a serious enough threat to keep teams from going after Bentley hard. SC fans are also expecting 10+ wins and to win the East this year.

UK returns more starters and experience than anyone in the East, the biggest replacement is finding a QB to replace Johnson, not so much for his stats, but the intangibles he brought were far more advance than his physical skills. Getting Baker back should help the new QB, having Snell will also help the new QB, but UK needs another back they can depend on, 262 carries is alot of touches and the one player UK can't afford to lose for any length of time. With the new QB being named, it appears UK will be a RPO team, leaning towards the run. Defensively, the front has to get better stopping the run, imo getting the 16 version of the Jones kid back is the key to an improved defense, he was an elite defender than year and a liability in 17. As an outisider here I see most UK fans hoping to build on a 7-5 season to 8, maybe 9 wins, a minority of fans say 10+ wins and winning the East.

UGA returns 7 offensive starters and 4 defensive starters. Kirby doesn't give out much info, practices are close to the media except for a 10 minute viewing period which sometimes involves stretching. So we don't get tons of info, just what the writers see in their 10 minute window, what a parent or one of Kirby's buddies post. But it looks like Fromm is still our starting QB, but Fields will get his chance to play. Holyfield is likely our starter at RB, first injury free pre season camp in 3 years and he has taken advantage of it, Swift to be the co number one back, and the incoming frosh Cook being the 3rd back, and would have been even without White being injured, Much like his brother was at FSU, 10lb smaller and a little faste. WE will be a rotation of 7-8 guys, 2 in the 6'5" range, 4 in the 6 ft range and a few more in the 6;2: range. Defensively UGA will be playing alot of frosh, a couple may start, but 7-8 figure to be in the rotation. Most UGA fans are expecting to win the East, the SEC and get to the playoffs. 11-1, 12-0 are what most are expecting, several are saying 10-2

Thanks for all the outside info.

8 wins or bust.

Can you get me a list of those saying that the 2012 and 2013 teams looked like SEC players?

I want to add them to my list of dummies.

How is that site for paying out?

I've just started using them this year so I don't have any experience but I researched them and they have a great reputation. They specialize in high roller type accounts. The best all around book IMO is still 5dimes.com I use different books so I can shop lines. Bookmaker had the best odds on the Kentucky Over line that I found.

I've just started using them this year so I don't have any experience but I researched them and they have a great reputation. They specialize in high roller type accounts. The best all around book IMO is still 5dimes.com I use different books so I can shop lines. Bookmaker had the best odds on the Kentucky Over line that I found.

Thanks

I read an article on oddshark line maker that said Kentucky might be the best choice in the country to bet the over on their overall record

8 wins or bust.

Fare enough and many think that. Whats different is this....We have only "looked" like an SEC team for 3 years. But this team has upper classmen that had to play as freshman so we are experienced. And, we now have positions that are 4 to 8 deep, and that depth looks like SEC players, and highly recruited and ranked. Thats the difference. Experience, maturity, depth. Its going to be a fun year. What we should be hoping does NOT happen is the typical "Kentucky Football Curse" like not covering a receiver at the end of the Florida game, or a bomb pass bouncing off a player and into a receivers hands for a touchdown like LSU

I'll tell you this, Paul F. doesn't throw out accolades freely... If he's saying this about UK, which I never seen him do before... He means it in every pore in his body, and he hasn't many pores to spare...

I guess I am the eternal pessimist when it comes to UK football. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT