ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Paul Finebaum today about Kentucky

Pre-season praise is very nice and a good sign.
We need validation on the playing field, obviously.
It's all right there ... in front of us.
GO CATS !!

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
College prognosticators are heavily influenced by the QB position. A good QB is the great equalizer in college. Nearly every SEC team UK faces has a talented or proven QB. The one's that don't, either have more talent or we play them on the road. This is why many are predicting only 4-6 wins.

Think about it this way. What do you think the predictions would be if we had Bentley, Lock, Fitzgerald, or Shurmur as our QB? Everyone would have us at 8-4 or 9-3, challenging Georgia for the east.

Now, if TW performs like we think he can, the UK offense may be one of the biggest surprises in college football this season. Win big this weekend and get a win in the Swamp, and all bets are off. Projections will shift to 8+ wins and a legitimate threat in the SEC East.

PF is CYAing as the season nears.The schedule is very favorable and
This UK team is loaded and they know it.

Really anxious for the season to start, see what we got. I'm trying not to get over hyped like I usually do. If we play solid football, I'm looking for a great season.

Would agree with PF and what has been said in the thread.

Big year for UK football generally speaking. Real opportunity to have an 8-9 regular season wins which would mean a couple big upsets.

TW by all accounts is a game changer. UK hasn't had dynamic play making ability at the QB position and he is walking into an offense with one of the best RBs in the country, a top tier SEC TE, top end athlete in Bowden, and Baker.

For the first time, maybe ever, our skill position talent on offense stacks up with what upper end SEC talent.

OL has been awful, and at the very least can't be worse. Most of the guys up there are, if nothing else, older, wiser, and have some battle scars. Minimal improvement would be a difference maker.

Defense may be one of the older most experienced squads in the conference if not country.

Looking at everything on paper, 8-4 almost seems disappointing.

I think we should expect to compete in every game.As I have said in other threads there are 4 games that we should take control and win by double digits. UF and South Carolina games should give great indication about what kind of team we have.

We couldn't compete with Miss St last year we will see how that goes this time around.. I think 8 wins would be a very good season,I think we could have a shot at that if we can come out of the gate playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

I think we should expect to compete in every game.As I have said in other threads there are 4 games that we should take control and win by double digits. UF and South Carolina games should give great indication about what kind of team we have.

We couldn't compete with Miss St last year we will see how that goes this time around.. I think 8 wins would be a very good season,I think we could have a shot at that if we can come out of the gate playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

I think the fact that they want to push the ball down the field this year with the passing game gives me hope that they want to bury teams when they have a chance.

Reactions: Poetax
UF is ready to be beaten.......this is the year that we shut them down and break the streak. 9-3 is my thoughts, it was 11-1 until the injury.

Big year for UK football generally speaking. Real opportunity to have an 8-9 regular season wins which would mean a couple big upsets.

TW by all accounts is a game changer. UK hasn't had dynamic play making ability at the QB position and he is walking into an offense with one of the best RBs in the country, a top tier SEC TE, top end athlete in Bowden, and Baker.

For the first time, maybe ever, our skill position talent on offense stacks up with what upper end SEC talent.

OL has been awful, and at the very least can't be worse. Most of the guys up there are, if nothing else, older, wiser, and have some battle scars. Minimal improvement would be a difference maker.

Defense may be one of the older most experienced squads in the conference if not country.

The OL has been very, very, very far from awful. You’re in the vast minority in that regard. It’s an average pass blocking unit, but it’s a top 3-4 run blocking unit in the SEC, right up there with Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia.

Not taking away anything from our skill players, but the group of Woodson, Tamme, Burton, Johnson, Little, Locke, Dixon, King, Lyons jr was special. Shoot even Phonsie Smith, who played in the NFL, couldnt get many touches with that bunch. They were good. Best combo of skill players, JMO. Hope this group surpasses them.

The OL has been very, very, very far from awful. You’re in the vast minority in that regard. It’s an average pass blocking unit, but it’s a top 3-4 run blocking unit in the SEC, right up there with Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia.

I'm might have gone too far saying they've been awful, but up there with bama, auburn, and georgia may be an over correction.

If we had OLs remotely close to that, we'd have have records a little bit closer to those teams.

Obviously I'll agree with the fact that we've had a top rushing attack the past couple seasons, but I suspect Boom and Benny had a lot to do with that.

The pass protection has been so bad that it drags the average way down and you almost forget about the rushing.

Not taking away anything from our skill players, but the group of Woodson, Tamme, Burton, Johnson, Little, Locke, Dixon, King, Lyons jr was special. Shoot even Phonsie Smith, who played in the NFL, couldnt get many touches with that bunch. They were good. Best combo of skill players, JMO. Hope this group surpasses them.

Indeed. They are one of the more accomplished and beloved offensive groups we've seen. Not taking anything away from them.

I hope this current collection of talent can come together and develop a nice flow/tempo within the offense like that group did.

One thing we haven't had outside of Boom and Benny thus far into the CMS reign is consistency anywhere else in the offense. We've seen individual flashes from a couple different people, but all brief and never together. That's due in large part to OC turnover, play calling/scheme of the OCs we've had, and lack of legit sec talent or any stability at QB.

I was referencing individual talent in my other post. Top to bottom, the talent is there to have more success than the Brooks/Joker era.

Reactions: Lost In FL
College prognosticators are heavily influenced by the QB position. A good QB is the great equalizer in college. Nearly every SEC team UK faces has a talented or proven QB. The one's that don't, either have more talent or we play them on the road. This is why many are predicting only 4-6 wins.

Think about it this way. What do you think the predictions would be if we had Bentley, Lock, Fitzgerald, or Shurmur as our QB? Everyone would have us at 8-4 or 9-3, challenging Georgia for the east.

Now, if TW performs like we think he can, the UK offense may be one of the biggest surprises in college football this season. Win big this weekend and get a win in the Swamp, and all bets are off. Projections will shift to 8+ wins and a legitimate threat in the SEC East.

To your point, I felt like this could be a 5-win season, before TW signed.

Then, I felt like we would be back in the 6-8 range.

Have to agree with that. When your pass attack is bland (as Cats have been lately) it’s no fluke when you can still rush like KY has, great RB or not.

I have more confidence in our talent than I do our coaching. Hopefully Stoops has grown as a coach and won’t make the same stupid mistakes he did last year. If we struggle in our first game, no big deal. I kind of expect it. They have to get past first game jitters and develop some chemistry. I don’t expect a win in the swamp considering it’s our 2nd game. Wish it was later in the schedule. But, if they improve every week they should reach their potential. Just taking it one game at a time.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
This season is going to be interesting to say the least. I think the East is making headway in getting back to a competitive balance with the West, which is good for not only the East but the entire conference. With that improvement there are some fanbases expecting big jumps from last season. In the East, everyone except maybe Vandy is expecting 8 wins with 4 hoping for more. I guess all are hoping for more, but 4 fanbases realistically have reasons to think more than 8.

Vandy just hasn't been a part of an improving East, they are falling farther behind every year and are now at pre Franklin level, getting an SEC win will likely be an upset.

Missouri is getting alot of love from the media, offensively they supposely have a top 2 OL, a top 2 QB, top receiving TE, a 1000 yard rusher, the downside is they are changing offensive schemes to help their D out I guess/ They will be able to score, just don't know if they can stop enough people to get to 8 wins. I think they push UT for 5th in the East, don't see 8 wins.

UT is looking for immediate improvement, fans are expecting 8 wins with outside shot at 10. Bringing in multiple grad transfers, JUCOs/ But still no proven QB, no proven RB, a makeshift OL and some question marks on D. Plus what might be the toughest 5 game stretch in college football this year. Getting to a bowl would be a successful year, but Pruitt is recruiting very well, they may be top 10 in 19. Don't think they stay down very long, if Fulmer doesn't mettle.

UF is different than everyone else, they had what is amounting to a signing class of near 40, signing their 18 class, bringing in 3-4 grad transfers, bringing in a couple more transfers who were given immediate eligibility and getting 9 players suspended for the 17 season back improves their roster a great deal., probably more than anyone's in the conference just because of numbers. Then there is the new coaching staff, Mullen doesn't have his guy at QB, but the offense won't be any worse than 17 and with all the skill players added should be much better. Many UF fans are expecting 10+ wins and playing in the SEC championship game.

Carolina lost alot of the defense, but have brought in some grad transfers and transfers to get a quick fix, gone is Hayden Hurst the TE. They return alot of their offense, get Debo Samuel back from injury. plus a deep group fo WR to help him out. They return their starting RB from injury too, but I don't think he is a serious enough threat to keep teams from going after Bentley hard. SC fans are also expecting 10+ wins and to win the East this year.

UK returns more starters and experience than anyone in the East, the biggest replacement is finding a QB to replace Johnson, not so much for his stats, but the intangibles he brought were far more advance than his physical skills. Getting Baker back should help the new QB, having Snell will also help the new QB, but UK needs another back they can depend on, 262 carries is alot of touches and the one player UK can't afford to lose for any length of time. With the new QB being named, it appears UK will be a RPO team, leaning towards the run. Defensively, the front has to get better stopping the run, imo getting the 16 version of the Jones kid back is the key to an improved defense, he was an elite defender than year and a liability in 17. As an outisider here I see most UK fans hoping to build on a 7-5 season to 8, maybe 9 wins, a minority of fans say 10+ wins and winning the East.

UGA returns 7 offensive starters and 4 defensive starters. Kirby doesn't give out much info, practices are close to the media except for a 10 minute viewing period which sometimes involves stretching. So we don't get tons of info, just what the writers see in their 10 minute window, what a parent or one of Kirby's buddies post. But it looks like Fromm is still our starting QB, but Fields will get his chance to play. Holyfield is likely our starter at RB, first injury free pre season camp in 3 years and he has taken advantage of it, Swift to be the co number one back, and the incoming frosh Cook being the 3rd back, and would have been even without White being injured, Much like his brother was at FSU, 10lb smaller and a little faste. WE will be a rotation of 7-8 guys, 2 in the 6'5" range, 4 in the 6 ft range and a few more in the 6;2: range. Defensively UGA will be playing alot of frosh, a couple may start, but 7-8 figure to be in the rotation. Most UGA fans are expecting to win the East, the SEC and get to the playoffs. 11-1, 12-0 are what most are expecting, several are saying 10-2

Most UGA fans are expecting to win the East, the SEC and get to the playoffs. 11-1, 12-0 are what most are expecting, several are saying 10-2

If they can stay focused each week without a significant letdown (hard to do, but it happens), then they can head into Atlanta undefeated, which will put immense pressure on the committee to let them into the play-off, even with a loss to Alabama.

One concern I have for UGA is that they find a way to win the SEC and still find themselves facing Alabama for a national title.

A re-match seems like a longshot, let alone a double re-match, but Alabama is a beast and they loom large over any and all college football programs with national championship aspirations. We have now seen not one, but two SEC champions fall prey to Alabama in January and lose out on the championship that really matters.

Last edited:
The issue with that team was a lack of quality depth. Top 11 on O, especially the skill positions as you point out were probably better, except at RB.

However, imo games are won in the trenches in the SEC and I think the 2018 version of the Cats are deeper and more talented on the OL and DL than 2007. Let’s hope that translates well.

Today, Tom Leach said Gene Chiz has an NFL scout friend who informed that UK looks like an SEC team for the first time in his experience, echoing what Marrow said a couple of weeks back.

Reactions: UKUGA and uksam21
Watched SEC network remark on UK football.complimenting administration,for allowing Stoops time to develop and improve players and overall program. Said they are becoming a SEC football program,first time/long time!

SEC Now talked about Wilson this morning.One of the guys said he had talked to Hinshaw and that Wilson might be the fastest player on the team and his throwing was ahead of where they thought it would be at this point.

It is hard to believe they(coaches) didn't know this for longer than they have let on,but it could be possible I guess.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT