ADVERTISEMENT

Quickley to NBA?

I think we have to wait and see how it plays out.

I agree w/ you about UK's ceiling being maxed out with this model. However, the bigger concern I have is that Cal is trying to change the model but he can't. The one/done, NBA farm system, go to UK to get to the league as quickly as possible routine has become so imbedded as a brand for UK that it's making it really difficult for Cal to change. He's recruiting guys who need 2-3 years and has had some success with guys getting better (PJ/Nick). But you have to have guys like IQ/EJ/KB/JJ come back when they aren't surefire 1st rounders. It's the only way I think UK can win another title w/ Cal.
Very well said and spot on.

Ahhhhhh....JFCats completely disappeared during UK's winning streak. ZERO posts. Now season is over and he has found a way to troll his negativity.

What a complete loser.

I don’t put anyone on ignore but he’s one of the ones where I just hurriedly scroll past when I see he has mad a comment.

He’s not worth your time.

What would you have Cal do? Recruit 3 star players and hope they develop by the time they are seniors? That would be fine but other coaches will be getting the best of the best players so UK will be taking on some losses, which in return will have the fan base pissed off more than they already are. No easy answer for players leaving early.

What's happened here is that for whatever reason the "Kentucky" on the jersey seems to boost a player's draft stock regardless of the talent he has or what he's shown on the court. Calipari could recruit a bunch of 3 stars and even if they weren't that good they'd still leave anyway. Skal got drafted for christ sakes and he was absolutely terrible here!

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
I expect IQ to go to be honest. Might not want another year on his legs of running the point here, and to be honest, I dont know if he's explosive enough to run point the way Cal wants his point to run. He strikes me as a tweener in the NBA, not super explosive enough to be a 1, not really big enough to be a 2. Might as well go while your shot was hot this year and people know your name.

That being said, I hope Im wrong of course.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
It should be noted that as of right now, and dating back to 2016, we've had eight players transfer and five others leave for non-guaranteed NBA contracts (Briscoe, Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Humphries, Diallo). If EJ, Hagans and IQ join them, that will be 16 players in 5 years lost to transfers or non-guaranteed NBA draft status (this doesn't count Richards, Ulis, Poythress, and a few others who were either technically seniors or who would/will likely get second round guarantees and contract guarantees).

That would make 3.2 players per year that we're losing to transfer or non-guaranteed second round or non-drafted NBA status.

Not a healthy trend, especially when one factors in the realities of UK's shortage of elite recruits in that span.

Sorry to say it, but my gut instinct tells me that all five are gone. Quickley because his stock is peaking, and I just don't think EJ with withdraw yet again after trying so hard to leave last year.

So I guess that leaves Brooks as our only familiar face when next season begins. You know it's a weird era when a 19-year-old is your team's elder statesmen.

It should be noted that as of right now, and dating back to 2016, we've had eight players transfer and five others leave for non-guaranteed NBA contracts (Briscoe, Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Humphries, Diallo). If EJ, Hagans and IQ join them, that will be 16 players in 5 years lost to transfers or non-guaranteed NBA draft status (this doesn't count Richards, Ulis, Poythress, and a few others who were either technically seniors or who would/will likely get second round guarantees and contract guarantees).

That would make 3.2 players per year that we're losing to transfer or non-guaranteed second round or non-drafted NBA status.

Not a healthy trend, especially when one factors in the realities of UK's shortage of elite recruits in that span.

Vanderbilt, Gabriel and Diallo all ended up signing multiple million $ contracts in the end. They probably knew that would happen beforehand.

maybe not tho, and I understand (and tend to agree) with your point.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He’s pushed the Boogie Cousins, MKG, etc to the NBA because they were top 5 picks. People ran with it and act like he is pushing everyone out . I’m sure he wanted Archie Goodwin , Gabriel , and etc type guys to come back

This is all true; however, I wish the coaching staff would do more to mitigate what we're seeing by losing an abundance of players who are either dissatisfied with the process of development and show that by transferring, or who simply leave the program without contractual NBA guarantees and take their chances in the draft.

The mitigation process seems to necessitate more communication with families earlier on to emphasize the realities of longer-term development. While recruiting second-tier players, if the staff is telling Gabriel he's essentially a "guard" and that Juzang has the potential to replicate Tyler Herro's production in year one in order to secure their commitments, it doesn't help the issue at all. It might help the staff secure a commitment, but it builds up a mentality of "now or never" that often fosters disappointment and ultimately leads to players leaving the program earlier than they should.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
This is all true; however, I wish the coaching staff would do more to mitigate what we're seeing by losing an abundance of players who are either dissatisfied with the process of development and show that by transferring, or who simply leave the program without contractual NBA guarantees and take their chances in the draft.

The mitigation process seems to necessitate more communication with families earlier on to emphasize the realities of longer-term development. While recruiting second-tier players, if the staff is telling Gabriel he's essentially a "guard" and that Juzang has the potential to replicate Tyler Herro's production in year one in order to secure their commitments, it doesn't help the issue at all. It might help the staff secure a commitment, but it builds up a mentality of "now or never" that often fosters disappointment and ultimately leads to players leaving the program earlier than they should.
At this point I don’t think that Cal is telling guys like Juzang you are the next Tyler Herro I can get you to the league in one year . I think they see the results and decide UK is the spot they want to be. Apparently Cal tells recruits no spots are guaranteed . Guys like Juzang gotta know they could just be a role player unless they are buying into their own hype .

Reactions: jace2012
At this point I don’t think that Cal is telling guys like Juzang you are the next Tyler Herro I can get you to the league in one year . I think they see the results and decide UK is the spot they want to be. Apparently Cal tells recruits no spots are guaranteed . Guys like Juzang gotta know they could just be a role player unless they are buying into their own hype .

And yet we do know Cal told EJ he reminded him of Davis; and that he told Gabriel he was a 6'9" "guard"; and told Juzang that he was similar to Herro. I'm openly wondering if the staff also tells these guys, "and yet, you need to work hard in order to get to their level, and it's probably not going to happen in year one."

You're right that there are no guaranteed minutes and no promises, but I feel that the narrative needs to also include the reality that it's incredibly hard to make it in one year and that it's very likely a longer-term stint might be needed.

As for your last point, I'd venture to say most of these guys come to UK with a massively inflated self-view of their own abilities. Being compared to former UK greats probably helps land most of these kids, but it doesn't help when it comes to retaining those second-tier guys.

I think it really all changed when the NCAA allowed these kids to consult with agents during this process. I think the agents want their paydays and are steering some of these kids away from college before they’re really ready.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
As for your last point, I'd venture to say most of these guys come to UK with a massively inflated self-view of their own abilities. Being compared to former UK greats probably helps land most of these kids, but it doesn't help when it comes to retaining those second-tier guys.
I'm not really following you. You think a kid gets through a whole season, his results and performance are what they are, his draft status is relatively well known (publicly, and certainly privately he's going to know exactly how he's viewed by scouts). And in the face of all that evidence, he's going to base his decision not on that so much but rather on a single sentence Calipari uttered a year ago, that 'you remind me of Anthony Davis'?

This isn't about words. It's not about telling kids certain things in recruitment and not saying other things in recruitment. It's a cultural issue. Kids don't want to stay in school. 5 star kids especially don't want to stay in school. The kinds of kids we typically recruit are at the front of that line. It is what it is.

Bottom line is he can't force a kid to stay.

I think that's the last time we'll see something like that happen. Three guys turned down guaranteed lottery money just because they wanted to go for back to back championships.

That really wasn't that long ago, yet it seems inconceivable today. Just shows how much things have changed in just over a decade.
Participation trophy kids growing up. Some things some of us grew up with like play through any injury, guts, hustle, heart, and desire to be the best are fading away.

We will struggle to be top 20 next season if all these guys go. I think next season will be cals last.
I agree. People are putting too much stock into freshmen whose never played at the college level. If we lose four of the starting five, it's easily a 10-13 loss team.

What does it mean “while the iron is hot”?

If he is a first round pick ok. You get guaranteed money.

Otherwise, you can either play in the NBA or you can’t. It’s not based on past performance. Outside the first round you’re going to have to prove yourself on the court. Press clippings aren’t going to cut it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This shit is getting incredibly old. I’m not even being a whiny fan or hating on Cal or anything, it’s just the NBA and the attitude towards playing in the NBA that has just completely destroyed college b-ball. College is seen as an inconvenience and hindrance, and any sliver of even a hint of the NBA and the players are gone. Is it the whole AAU thing where everything is sponsored by NBA players and only success is measured by playing in the NBA that is to blame? It honestly seems like these kids playing in front of thousands of fans for great b-ball programs view it as a complete horror and failure. It’s crazy. Can you imagine the 2006 Florida team all returning for a repeat title in this day and age?

I think the issue is only partly with the NBA. Colleges could take a hard line. Sign a contract. Play in the NCAA 3 years for the schools or don’t come day 1. The NCAA has been a wimp in all this.

This shit is getting incredibly old. I’m not even being a whiny fan or hating on Cal or anything, it’s just the NBA and the attitude towards playing in the NBA that has just completely destroyed college b-ball. College is seen as an inconvenience and hindrance, and any sliver of even a hint of the NBA and the players are gone. Is it the whole AAU thing where everything is sponsored by NBA players and only success is measured by playing in the NBA that is to blame? It honestly seems like these kids playing in front of thousands of fans for great b-ball programs view it as a complete horror and failure. It’s crazy. Can you imagine the 2006 Florida team all returning for a repeat title in this day and age?

Of course college is viewed as a hindrance. They want to make a living, can't blame them for tha . The problem is the way Cal recruits, for various reasons, which is why we have such turnover (2 transfers on top of 5 to the NBA, you can't win nig that way).

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
We need IQ back in the worst way. Please IQ come back! I can’t imagine losing all five plus Nate and JJ. Not exactly the scenario I expected.

I'm not really following you. You think a kid gets through a whole season, his results and performance are what they are, his draft status is relatively well known (publicly, and certainly privately he's going to know exactly how he's viewed by scouts). And in the face of all that evidence, he's going to base his decision not on that so much but rather on a single sentence Calipari uttered a year ago, that 'you remind me of Anthony Davis'?

This isn't about words. It's not about telling kids certain things in recruitment and not saying other things in recruitment. It's a cultural issue. Kids don't want to stay in school. 5 star kids especially don't want to stay in school. The kinds of kids we typically recruit are at the front of that line. It is what it is.

Bottom line is he can't force a kid to stay.

What I mean is that Kentucky has a brand based on getting kids to the NBA as quickly as possible. This is so embedded in our culture at UK that kids like Matthews and Juzang seem to think they're OAD players when they're clearly not. When things go awry, they leave the program.

Cal can't make these kids return, but he can start to promote a more realistic narrative with certain kids (do any of us know if he actually does this?) when it comes to longer-term development. "Nothing is promised as far as playing time" is not the same as "it's likely you'll be here 2-3 years, but it would have been 3-4 at another school." We know Cal emphasizes a great deal of the former. Do we know if he engages in large quantities of the latter? Only recently have we been hearing his "everyone has their own path" mantra, but how much of that is routinely communicated to these second and third tier recruits?

It's almost like the staff needs to recruit freshmen (and their families) back to the program during their first years when things go slow from a development level.

Maybe the staff does that. I'm not sure any of us know for sure. The evidence seems to be mixed on this one.

We need IQ back in the worst way. Please IQ come back! I can’t imagine losing all five plus Nate and JJ. Not exactly the scenario I expected.

And we'd be replacing them with two studs and four projects, plus whatever we get from the grad transfer category.

Is that enough to have a strong team?

I just don't think anybody knows. What has changed since he was leaning towards coming back? There have been no workouts. Nobody even knows when the draft will be. Maybe an agent talking to a team, but there is a lot that can still change.

Reactions: BassProCat
There is no question the NBA -- and especially the exploding salaries in the past 20 years -- has gutted college basketball.

As for Kentucky, no program has gotten to March with a realistic chance to make the Final Four or even win it all. That proved true in 2010-11-12-14-15-17-18-19 and was true this year.

What more can be done? Of the 350 programs doing it with 4-3 stars, NONE have had a realistic shot at the Final Four as often as Kentucky in the OAD era -- and most haven't made a single Elite Eight in that time frame (see Indiana, Tennessee, etc.) And it isn't plausible to magically pick the high 4-stars who will end up staying for years -- see Herro and SGA.

It is frustrating.
The only 4* that might stay 3-4 years are Kentucky boys...That's one reason I wanted JJ Traynor and glad to have Allen..Cal should add 1-2 4* KY boys each year

The only 4* that might stay 3-4 years are Kentucky boys...That's one reason I wanted JJ Traynor and glad to have Allen..Cal should add 1-2 4* KY boys each year

No. You add a couple then going into their senior year maybe add another 1/2. That gives Cal 9/10 guys he really wants and he never has more than that anyway.

Disagree . No one ever expected any of those 4 back and we all knew UK would be a preseason top 5 team. Now I do agree if we got IQ back we would lose maybe 3 less games and be much better from day 1 but with Boston and Clarke and the others we have ultra elite talent. We might look bad some in Nov and Dec but we will be great regardless in Feb and Mar. Brooks EJ Allen and a grad transfer or 2 is plenty experience when you have ultra elite guys like we will have. Now if our recruiting class was this year's past class I would agree as maxey is a top 10 pick but not clarke or Boston level .

Every team thats special for their terms had someone back that people were like wow. .. and every year teams bring back All American players. I fully expected someone to come back and be the focal point in an offense.. the whole can’t improve draft stock is bogus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT