Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
QUICK TAKES: Kentucky 31, Southern Miss 0

Jeff Drummond • CatsIllustrated

Managing Editor
@JDrumUK

duqybzzviw983qf1zmxe

Kentucky quarterback Brock Vandagriff kept a play alive by scrambling in the Wildcats' season opener against Southern Miss on Saturday night at Kroger Field. (Photo by Jeff Drummond/Cats Illustrated)

In our regular postgame feature, the Cats Illustrated staff offers its first impressions from Kentucky's 31-0 win over Southern Miss in a weather-delayed and shortened season opener at Kroger Field...​

JUSTIN ROWLAND:

First of all, that's a very long day for a lot of fans who showed up early to have a good time and ended up waiting ... and waiting... and waiting. Kudos to those who stuck around to give the Cats a good crowd. Brock Vandagriff was very intriguing. The way he extends plays and makes things happen with his arm and his legs gives them something they haven't often had. I thought the offensive line started to form an identity as the game moved along. The defense didn't give up anything, and the inside linebackers made big-time plays. The special teams unit chipped in with a strong performance as well. This was domination by Kentucky and what you want to see a good team do. There are things to polish up for sure, but Vandagriff should benefit from experience gained and I think you have to feel good about their matchup with South Carolina.

JEFF DRUMMOND:

It was a weird night at Kroger Field, to say the least, but the Cats took care of business. I would have liked to see what would happen if they played a full 60 minutes -- would Gavin Wimsatt get some backup QB duty? -- but I understand why all parties involved decided to pull the plug just around midnight. Like Justin said, Brock Vandagriff was really impressive in his first collegiate start. He did a great job of sliding around in the pocket and using his feet to extend plays with his eyes downfield waiting for receivers to get open. I don't think we've seen that kind of presence from a UK quarterback in recent memory. I loved how Bush Hamdam mixed things up and kept Southern Miss off-balance with a lot of motion and misdirection, getting the ball in the hands of Barion Brown for some nice end-around plays, including a 12-yard touchdown run. The defense did a nice job of creating turnovers and getting constant pressure on the Southern Miss quarterback. Special teams converted a 41-yard field goal and were good in coverage. Overall, a really nice building block to take into the SEC opener next week against South Carolina. Big, big matchup for both teams early in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.