ADVERTISEMENT

Question about the COVID year

They did have the Sweet 16 reveal in February.
Uk was not on the list.
The last bracket matrix had us as the best 4 seed.
Where I predict we would've filled in the gap and lost to Hofstra or whoever in the first round.

Reactions: JASUN74 and know1
Still amazing to me many fans swear that 19-20 team was gonna go far. Was no better than any of the last 5 yrs of March nothing teams.

Reactions: JASUN74
Still amazing to me many fans swear that 19-20 team was gonna go far. Was no better than any of the last 5 yrs of March nothing teams.
We will never know how that team would have performed but the team finished 8th in the AP, won the SEC, and went 17 and 3 down the stretch. Your statement that this team "was no better than any of the last 5 yrs of March nothing teams" is completely lacking in basic knowledge considering that team followed an E8 team and then UK did have 4 years of March nothing teams afterward.

Posters keep repeating the 5 year number despite the fact that it is completely wrong. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good bash. Why say Cal failed in the post season miserably 4 straight years when you can throw in number 5 since the tournament was cancelled and nobody played in the post season?

UK was so primed ready to win it all with their comeback, need-a-miracle win against a mediocre Florida team, and UK playing without a temperamental point guard, with a roster that was barely worthy of a 3 seed.

We had that title in the bag. Just ask Calipari.

We will never know how that team would have performed but the team finished 8th in the AP, won the SEC, and went 17 and 3 down the stretch. Your statement that this team "was no better than any of the last 5 yrs of March nothing teams" is completely lacking in basic knowledge considering that team followed an E8 team and then UK did have 4 years of March nothing teams afterward.

Posters keep repeating the 5 year number despite the fact that it is completely wrong. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good bash. Why say Cal failed in the post season miserably 4 straight years when you can throw in number 5 since the tournament was cancelled and nobody played in the post season?

I give them credit in 2020 winning the SEC. That team didn’t really play all that great, but they did a good job of closing the deal, especially from the foul line.

They also were going through a lot of turmoil, with the Ashton Hagans shenanigans down the stretch.

No way to know how they might have finished. I don’t think they were any better than the 2022 or 2024 teams. Maybe not quite as good.

If you consider the issues with Hagans, lumping that team in with 2021-2024 seems fair. But you’re right, they could have still made a run, and we’ll never know.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I give them credit in 2020 winning the SEC. That team didn’t really play all that great, but they did a good job of closing the deal, especially from the foul line.

They also were going through a lot of turmoil, with the Ashton Hagans shenanigans down the stretch.

No way to know how they might have finished. I don’t think they were any better than the 2022 or 2024 teams. Maybe not quite as good.

If you consider the issues with Hagans, lumping that team in with 2021-2024 seems fair. But you’re right, they could have still made a run, and we’ll never know.

Great post!

Reactions: Aike
UK was so primed ready to win it all with their comeback, need-a-miracle win against a mediocre Florida team, and UK playing without a temperamental point guard, with a roster that was barely worthy of a 3 seed.

We had that title in the bag. Just ask Calipari.
Regardless, that team had Maxey and Quickley in the backcourt along with Nick Richard, Montgomery, and Nate Sestina. They won the SEC reg season outright.
Cal can be delusional but that team was a tough out.

Reactions: CatsDomain
Regardless, that team had Maxey and Quickley in the backcourt along with Nick Richard, Montgomery, and Nate Sestina. They won the SEC reg season outright.
Cal can be delusional but that team was a tough out.
The same Calipari that had Booker/Town/Twins; Wall/Bledsoe/Cousins; Fox/Monk/Bam; SGA/Knox/PJ?

I've seen this screenplay before. That team had a dysfunctional point guard in Hagans, and they weren't even a projected 2 seed, meaning that at least 8 teams were considered better than them.

The revisionist historians like to frame that team as the favorite to win it all. They're weren't. Not even remotely close.

As for being a "tough out." This previous UK team was also a tough out, and they battled hard in the first round against Oakland, and were "tough" but still went "out."

That's what Cal's teams do. Tons of talent. Little payoff.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT