ADVERTISEMENT

Quantaince down to 2

If we take Richmond, I really worry about this class to be honest.

That is 3 guys who are a bit more lowly rated (Somto, Perry and Richmond), and Boogie Fland, while very good, is not the "top end" talent like we have seen in the past. Even with getting Quantaince, 4 of our 5 incoming freshman wouldn't be considered "game changers"- seems like it could be setting us up for another year where we just don't have that top-end talent to truly compete, like we have seen the last couple of years.

These freshman would also realistically discourage some transfers from wanting to come here, as opposing coaches will sell them on the "Cal will prioritize his Freshman) thing.

Worried about next season to be honest.

We need Quaintance, Edgecomb or Knox, and have to hope and pray for a Darryn Peterson reclass, and then go get 2-3 top transfers in the portal (can Cal do it?).

Lots of question marks for next season, and IMO I am not sure that Perry and Richmond really see much playing time next season, or if they do see a lot, we might be in trouble.

Maybe I am wrong on Richmond and Perry, but I am just not as impressed with their games, and honestly not overly impressed with Boogie Fland compared to some of the guards we have had either.
But we may have more returning talent than we are used to having. For instance, if Reed and Dillingham come back that could easily be the best starting backcourt in the country. Burks has a lot of talent and could become a very good player. And Thiero will probably be about 7' and 270 lbs next year; should be a star.

But we may have more returning talent than we are used to having. For instance, if Reed and Dillingham come back that could easily be the best starting backcourt in the country. Burks has a lot of talent and could become a very good player. And Thiero will probably be about 7' and 270 lbs next year; should be a star.

I agree with you on Reed and Dillingham but I don't foresee Dillingham coming back at this point. I think Reed does.

I am not as high on Burks right now as others are- I think by his Junior or Senior year, absolutely, but not next year IMO.

Thiero I agree with, I think he could be our next "Darius Miller" type.

But we need top-end talent, and I just don't see it, especially if Dillingham does decide to leave.

But in the dream scenario that he does come back:

Sheppard
Dillingham
Darryn Peterson
Thiero
Quantaince

That is a very, very talented starting 5 but NO rim protection.

With:

Fland
Knox
Somto
Burks

Off the bench.

Go and get a portal PF and maybe one other guy and you're in great shape there.

The problem is that I don't see this scenario happening.

My fault. Someone I followed on Twitter had recently retweeted his top 10 from July, which didn't include us. I wasn't paying attention.

All good! Was just wondering if there was new info. I still think he's a long shot but would be great to land him.

Can anyone tell if this kid has good hands? His footwork looks good, but it's hard to tell with just highlights, and will this kid have 2 years collegiately before he can go pro?
I can't say about his hands, but it seems so. Has a good shooting and scoring touch for a big.

Yes, we'd get him 2 years. 👀

Quaintance is the piece we need to add. Gives us a skilled 4/5 for most likely two years because of his age. If he is as good as advertised, he will make a killing in NIL his second season. I don’t think the G-League could really match what he could make here in year two, so I doubt he goes there after rejecting them the first time.

• Love
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Quaintance is the piece we need to add. Gives us a skilled 4/5 for most likely two years because of his age. If he is as good as advertised, he will make a killing in NIL his second season. I don’t think the G-League could really match what he could make here in year two, so I doubt he goes there after rejecting them the first time.

I don't think a lot of people understand what the G-League life is like also.

It's rough compared to big time division 1.

Those guys take buses to games half the time, and fly commercial the other half. They are playing in arenas the size of NKUs that are only 10% full. Games never on TV. Yeah, it's a paycheck...but there is a real tradeoff there.

A year at Kentucky, flying private jets, being essentially a celebrity, 5 star hotels, playing in packed arenas and on ESPN/CBS every night, making 6 figures in NIL...that would be HARD to walk away from to go live the G-League life for a year.

If we take Richmond, I really worry about this class to be honest.

That is 3 guys who are a bit more lowly rated (Somto, Perry and Richmond), and Boogie Fland, while very good, is not the "top end" talent like we have seen in the past. Even with getting Quantaince, 4 of our 5 incoming freshman wouldn't be considered "game changers"- seems like it could be setting us up for another year where we just don't have that top-end talent to truly compete, like we have seen the last couple of years.

These freshman would also realistically discourage some transfers from wanting to come here, as opposing coaches will sell them on the "Cal will prioritize his Freshman" thing.

Worried about next season to be honest.

We need Quaintance, Edgecomb or Knox, and have to hope and pray for a Darryn Peterson reclass, and then go get 2-3 top transfers in the portal (can Cal do it?).

Lots of question marks for next season, and IMO I am not sure that Perry and Richmond really see much playing time next season, or if they do see a lot, we might be in trouble.

Maybe I am wrong on Richmond and Perry, but I am just not as impressed with their games, and honestly not overly impressed with Boogie Fland compared to some of the guards we have had either.
Well, for comparison, Richmond is rated as high, or higher, than Shep was last season. Ratings are often times not even close to whats real. I am happy to have Perry and will be happy if we get Ricjmond.

Well, for comparison, Richmond is rated as high, or higher, than Shep was last season. Ratings are often times not even close to whats real. I am happy to have Perry and will be happy if we get Ricjmond.

Yeah, I am basing this off the very little I have seen- I just was not as impressed with Richmond. You could watch Shep and realize right away the kid had skills that would translate immediately.

With Richmond, I just don't see it.

But I have been wrong PLENTY of times before.

Reactions: celtikat33
I think those in the know are on record saying Richmond is a better prospect than Knox.
The big 3 in terms of rankings and composite rankings all have Knox ahead of Richmond. Richmond isn't even a 5 star in some of these. Not saying that's the be all end all but saying that "in the know" have him higher is a reach.

Rivals:
Knox 14, Richmond 20
24/7:
Knox 14, Richmond 24
Composite:
Knox 12, Richmond 23
On3:
Knox 16, Richmond 24
On3 Industry:
Knox 13, Richmond 21

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I would love to see Quaintance and Knox added to the Fall signing class. That would cover most of the bases.

Fland
Perry
Knox
Quaintance
Cyril

That’s a great class.

Maybe add a reclass or two in the Spring (Peterson, J.Johnson).

Hopefully, we return some key players like Sheppard and Thiero. I think Burks and Hart return. Onyenso might not play this season or is probably limited. I really expect him back as well.

We could be loaded next season.

Reactions: jace2012
I would love to see Quaintance and Knox added to the Fall signing class. That would cover most of the bases.

Fland
Perry
Knox
Quaintance
Cyril

That’s a great class.

Maybe add a reclass or two in the Spring (Peterson, J.Johnson).

Hopefully, we return some key players like Sheppard and Thiero. I think Burks and Hart return. Onyenso might not play this season or is probably limited. I really expect him back as well.

We could be loaded next season.

That is an okay class.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but it's 1 player in the top 10, and 3 guys that are 4 stars.

Maybe 1 guy on the team next year who is a legit top-10 NBA prospect.

We would need some REAL help from the portal if we wanted to be a legit title contender or even to win the SEC.

If Dillingham comes back with Sheppard and Thiero and you get that class, maybe you just need 1 STUD from the portal to compete.

If Dillingham leaves, I think you need 2 or 3 portal studs to be the team we want to be.

Reactions: gharding07
The big 3 in terms of rankings and composite rankings all have Knox ahead of Richmond. Richmond isn't even a 5 star in some of these. Not saying that's the be all end all but saying that "in the know" have him higher is a reach.

Rivals:
Knox 14, Richmond 20
24/7:
Knox 14, Richmond 24
Composite:
Knox 12, Richmond 23
On3:
Knox 16, Richmond 24
On3 Industry:
Knox 13, Richmond 21
Richmond is trending up.

Boogie Fland, Travis Perry, Reed, and JQ?

the-lion-king-lion-king.gif

Yeah, I am basing this off the very little I have seen- I just was not as impressed with Richmond. You could watch Shep and realize right away the kid had skills that would translate immediately.

With Richmond, I just don't see it.

But I have been wrong PLENTY of times before.

I know highlights can be fluff, but I like his game. Can block shots, super athletic. And a lefty.

Rivals:
Knox 14, Richmond 20
24/7:
Knox 14, Richmond 24
Composite:
Knox 12, Richmond 23
On3:
Knox 16, Richmond 24
On3 Industry:
Knox 13, Richmond 21
I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. UK will likely aggressively pursue Knox even if they get Richmond.

That is an okay class.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but it's 1 player in the top 10, and 3 guys that are 4 stars.

Maybe 1 guy on the team next year who is a legit top-10 NBA prospect.

We would need some REAL help from the portal if we wanted to be a legit title contender or even to win the SEC.

If Dillingham comes back with Sheppard and Thiero and you get that class, maybe you just need 1 STUD from the portal to compete.

If Dillingham leaves, I think you need 2 or 3 portal studs to be the team we want to be.
Can't see the infatuation with thiero. He struggles to score. May be a big body, but that is all

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT