ADVERTISEMENT

QB Sawyer Smith the perfect fit for UK

You know I hope Terry has a really great season but it’s really nice to know that we may have a guy who can come in for whatever reason and be productive. Hasn’t happened a lot in my time.
The good thing about Sawyer Smith is that he is a great teammate who came here with his eyes open. All he asks is a chance to compete for an opportunity in the SEC.

I’m sure we are all hoping TW has a awesome breakout year. But its also good to have all your QB's starter and backups to have;

Leadership – the team around them must respect them on and off the field.

Work ethic – 1st to practice and last to leave willing to put in that extra time to work on what coaches are asking weather that be speed, footwork, accuracy, mechanics, mobility, playbook, film etc.…

Mental toughness – how you react when everything seems to go wrong.

Competitiveness – have the mind set that you think your going to lead your team to a win each and every time you step on the field.

Consistencyyou want a player that is consistent from week to week not one that is an up and down streaky player.

Game IQ – do they understand coverages and protections? Make smart decisions, can you read the defense, can you make adjustments, can you make the grades to stay eligible for college ball etc...

Coachable
– can you take constructive criticism, do you want to and can you learn the playbook, do you want to be pushed to be a better player and person.

Ready
– meaning ready to take advantage of anytime on the field they can and make the best of it.

And I for believe we have a couple backup QB’s that have all the above. Heck to be honest pretty much this whole team has the above and all seem to have a chip on their shoulders and eager to prove the media wrong.

If Stoops stays true to form Smith won’t see the field unless we are blowing someone out.
Most coaches don't. But the problem I have with how we handle that is when the backup QB comes in all he does is hands the ball off and gets no experience in the passing game. Then if our starter goes out, like in the Mizzou game, the backup comes in and totally looks unprepared. I mean Hoak looked like he didn't even know what the play calls were.

Now I understand why Stoops does it that way because he doesn't want to run up the score on anybody. And I'm not saying bring Smith in if we're up 56-10 on UT-Martin in the 4Q and start throwing bombs to the end zone but run some small routes and get some timing with the WR's in live game action.

Last edited:
I would not use Smith in mop up situations. He is here to learn coaching and to provide solid back up if needed. He's not here to do mop up. Give that duty to Wood or one of the incoming freshmen.

I would not use Smith in mop up situations. He is here to learn coaching and to provide solid back up if needed. He's not here to do mop up. Give that duty to Wood or one of the incoming freshmen.

QB2 needs reps in order to be effective if ever needed. It serves no purpose to the team to give 'mop up duty' to QB3/QB4! Heaven forbid that TW gets hurt and QB2 is now the man AND he has not gotten any game snaps because the coach put in QB3/QB4...crazy logic!

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Most coaches don't. But the problem I have with how we handle that is when the backup QB comes in all he does is hands the ball off and gets no experience in the passing game. Then if our starter goes out, like in the Mizzou game, the bakup comes in and totally looks unprepared. I mean Hoak looked like he didn't even know what the play calls were.

Now I understand why stoops does it that way because he doesn't want to run up the score on anybody. And I'm not saying bring Smith in if we're up 56-10 on UT-Martin in the 4Q and start throwing bombs to the end zone but run some small routes and get some timing with the WR's in live game action.
Want him running THE offense not mop up duty stuff no matter the score.

Reactions: seccats04
QB2 needs reps in order to be effective if ever needed. It serves no purpose to the team to give 'mop up duty' to QB3/QB4! Heaven forbid that TW gets hurt and QB2 is now the man AND he has not gotten any game snaps because the coach put in QB3/QB4...crazy logic!
Would agree if Smith were not already a tested and experienced QB. He'll get reps in practice and be ready if needed. I know it's not the same thing but Kentucky great George Blanda came off the bench many times for the Oakland Raiders in critical situations when Darrel Lamonica was injured and not doing well and he had some great games in that role. Mop up work is not for experienced QB's. They don't need it.

I’m sure we are all hoping TW has a awesome breakout year. But its also good to have all your QB's starter and backups to have;

Leadership – the team around them must respect them on and off the field.

Work ethic – 1st to practice and last to leave willing to put in that extra time to work on what coaches are asking weather that be speed, footwork, accuracy, mechanics, mobility, playbook, film etc.…

Mental toughness – how you react when everything seems to go wrong.

Competitiveness – have the mind set that you think your going to lead your team to a win each and every time you step on the field.

Consistencyyou want a player that is consistent from week to week not one that is an up and down streaky player.

Game IQ – do they understand coverages and protections? Make smart decisions, can you read the defense, can you make adjustments, can you make the grades to stay eligible for college ball etc...

Coachable
– can you take constructive criticism, do you want to and can you learn the playbook, do you want to be pushed to be a better player and person.

Ready
– meaning ready to take advantage of anytime on the field they can and make the best of it.

And I for believe we have a couple backup QB’s that have all the above. Heck to be honest pretty much this whole team has the above and all seem to have a chip on their shoulders and eager to prove the media wrong.
Experience/real game reps

Reactions: EndzoneCat
Would agree if Smith were not already a tested and experienced QB. He'll get reps in practice and be ready if needed. I know it's not the same thing but Kentucky great George Blanda came off the bench many times for the Oakland Raiders in critical situations when Darrel Lamonica was injured and not doing well and he had some great games in that role. Mop up work is not for experienced QB's. They don't need it.

It's funny that you used George Blanda as an example of not needing the reps and coming off the bench...he was HOF! You just made the comparison of George Blanda & Sawyer Smith!! LOL. George Blanda was Hall of Fame player and that is rarified air.

Sawyer Smith may be good, but let's not kid ourself! Game reps from last year at Troy do not mean much this season at Kentucky. New season, new team, SEC competition, etc. For Sawyer Smith to be a solid backup at UK, it is important to get some game reps. In the worst case scenario, players get hurt. It is ludicrous to not play your backup and insert QB3 or QB4! What planet are you from?

Reactions: sluggercatfan
O
It's funny that you used George Blanda as an example of not needing the reps and coming off the bench...he was HOF! You just made the comparison of George Blanda & Sawyer Smith!! LOL. George Blanda was Hall of Fame player and that is rarified air.

Sawyer Smith may be good, but let's not kid ourself! Game reps from last year at Troy do not mean much this season at Kentucky. New season, new team, SEC competition, etc. For Sawyer Smith to be a solid backup at UK, it is important to get some game reps. In the worst case scenario, players get hurt. It is ludicrous to not play your backup and insert QB3 or QB4! What planet are you from?
Oh, I'm from the same planet you are. The dinosaurs had not been dead long when I was born. I saw Blanda play before he was a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: The-Hack
O

Oh, I'm from the same planet you are. The dinosaurs had not been dead long when I was born. I saw Blanda play before he was a Hall of Famer. We have a difference of opinion and that's ok. One of us may even be right.

Reactions: EndzoneCat
Most coaches don't. But the problem I have with how we handle that is when the backup QB comes in all he does is hands the ball off and gets no experience in the passing game. Then if our starter goes out, like in the Mizzou game, the bakup comes in and totally looks unprepared. I mean Hoak looked like he didn't even know what the play calls were.

Now I understand why stoops does it that way because he doesn't want to run up the score on anybody. And I'm not saying bring Smith in if we're up 56-10 on UT-Martin in the 4Q and start throwing bombs to the end zone but run some small routes and get some timing with the WR's in live game action.
That is not true at all. Hoak threw 26 pass attempts in his limited duty last season. 9 against Central Michigan, 8 against Missouri. I haven't done the math, but I would bet he threw the ball on a higher percentage of his plays than Terry Wilson.

Reactions: The-Hack
That is not true at all. Hoak threw 26 pass attempts in his limited duty last season. 9 against Central Michigan, 8 against Missouri. I haven't done the math, but I would bet he threw the ball on a higher percentage of his plays than Terry Wilson.
He only played in those two games because TW was terrible and we were down in both and had to throw the ball. But besides the long TD pass against CMU Hoak was terrible and even then he almost threw a pick 6 before the TD.

But the point was about when we put the backup QB in during mop up time all we do is hand the ball off. You were talking about two games where our starter was not getting the job done and the coaches brought the backup in to hopefully get a spark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT