ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 48 free-throw attempts.

It is obvious Rick Barnes coaches this physical/dirty style of basketball.

Every one of his teams play this way.
IMO when we play them the smartest thing we could do is as soon as the game starts we go overboard physical to force the refs to call it close. We will have the quality depth advantage. If they are not allowed to play that physical it will take a lot of their game away.

Reactions: cathouse
Yea it was physical. and even tho the foul totals were high, I thought the refs let a lot go...

TENN is good, but very undisciplined in my option. And again, TENN has guys on the team that seem like have been there for years.
TN’s offense really doesn’t look good to me. And with Vescovi, Gainey, Knecht, and James on the floor at the same time, they really should score well. TN’s defense may be about roughing everyone up, but their offense is about as ugly.

They don’t seem to be willing passers, for one thing. It looks to me to be a lot of one-on-one take your man off the dribble stuff. No flow or making the extra pass. Also, Those Bigs they have are strong dudes and could score some in the post if they could get a pass down there occasionally.

If Purdue hit a reasonable % of their FTs, Tennessee would have stopped hacking and pushing. Since fouling was working, Tennessee kept fouling.

A lot of their fouls were cheap crap and that one where the UT player smacked the guy in the head should have resulted in the UT player being thrown out. (I watched the highlights rather than the game. Maybe they did throw him out.)

Reactions: RunninRichie
IMO when we play them the smartest thing we could do is as soon as the game starts we go overboard physical to force the refs to call it close. We will have the quality depth advantage. If they are not allowed to play that physical it will take a lot of their game away.
If the game is at TN, we will have 4 starters on the bench in foul trouble before halftime.

They are really good at flopping and flailing their arms on screens.

Tennessee hacks and smacks likes Louisville did when Slick Rick was there!

Thankfully I didn't see that nonsense. I get they have a caveman big guy and Painter rocks the Steve Alford "onion loaf" 'do but who the hell wants to watch any team shoot 48 FT's in a game?

Officiating is absurd. I don't care if they go to Quarters but at least re-set the team fouls after 10 mins of a Half--it's the aspect of the sport that has become too much of the focus and it's boring as hell.

Reactions: RunninRichie
who the hell wants to watch any team shoot 48 FT's in a game?
I totally agree with the sentiment but, in the case of last night’s game, I don’t think the officials had much choice.

Tennessee really was committing that many fouls of the sort that have to be called. Kinda looked like an intentional strategy of trying to disrupt Purdue through constant hacking.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Thankfully I didn't see that nonsense. I get they have a caveman big guy and Painter rocks the Steve Alford "onion loaf" 'do but who the hell wants to watch any team shoot 48 FT's in a game?

Officiating is absurd. I don't care if they go to Quarters but at least re-set the team fouls after 10 mins of a Half--it's the aspect of the sport that has become too much of the focus and it's boring as hell.
Seemed like non stop whistles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT