ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 48 free-throw attempts.

Tenn "team defense" drill...

beating-up-beat-up.gif

I watched the game and thought it was one of the most physical games I've seen in recent memory. Both teams played hard and it seemed like somebody hit the floor every possession. Not a thing of beauty, but always good when the vols lose!

So they called one out of about every 4 they committed?
That may be a low assessment. They foul more than Pitinio's Loserville teams did when he admitted they foul 80-90 times a game because the refs will only call 20-30.

That game had no flow due to so many FTs, but there should have been more.

Barnes and other coaches know there will be complaining about so many FTs and the refs will adjust to have better flow, so they get an advantage.

That may be a low assessment. They foul more than Pitinio's Loserville teams did when he admitted they foul 80-90 times a game because the refs will only call 20-30.

That game had no flow due to so many FTs, but there should have been more.

Barnes and other coaches know there will be complaining about so many FTs and the refs will adjust to have better flow, so they get an advantage.
Always told my poor misguided UL buds that the cardinals hacked their way to a title in '13. On the back of the sympathy vote they got when their guy broke his leg in the tourney

Reactions: AGEE11
UT totally mugs you on every possession. If refs don’t call it they will win all their games.
Yes, I noticed that. Everyone of their players are in your face at all times. Remember thinking 'why can't we play D like that?' That will bother us. It is obvious that Barnes demands that tight defense on every possession. They have two bigs they rotate and when they both fouled out they was very small. Their third guard hit several 3's the second half.

Painter is just a good coach. He did not have the amount of talent that UT had but can still beat them. Their 3 and 4 is really good and then the big guy. Outside of those three just very average talent.

78 FTs in a game. Yeah that’s what I want to watch.

Tennessee wants fans to complain. Then just maybe the refs will start swallowing their whistle. Better for them. Hope refs continue fouling them the **** out until they stop fouling.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
I saw the second half. Purdue should have about 60 FTs.

UT way too agressive and physical on D. I guess they play under the “They can’t call every foul” Theory.

Total rock fight.

Tennessee wants fans to complain. Then just maybe the refs will start swallowing their whistle. Better for them. Hope refs continue fouling them the **** out until they stop fouling.
And they are running their mouths about being better than Purdue AND Uk. Man, I can't think of fanbase I despise more.

I saw the second half. Purdue should have about 60 FTs.

UT way too agressive and physical on D. I guess they play under the “They can’t call every foul” Theory.

Total rock fight.
Exactly - way too aggressive and physical. Plus, Vescovi is a dirty player. Not in the sense of necessarily trying to hurt anyone (although he may be kind of indifferent to that). Just that he cheats to gain an advantage whenever he thinks he might get away with it. He puts a knee into someone from behind. He holds when attention is focused on action away from him. He flops like crazy, etc. And Vescovi is pretty good at hiding what he’s doing. It’s the kind of stuff you might see a hatchet-man off the bench do, not a good player – not as a routine part of their game anyway, and I think it is a routine part of Vescovi’s game. I call him a dirty player because he does these things not really out of necessity, but out of enjoyment that he’s getting away with stuff.

I watched the game and thought it was one of the most physical games I've seen in recent memory. Both teams played hard and it seemed like somebody hit the floor every possession. Not a thing of beauty, but always good when the vols lose!
I'm fine with them beating KU today. Helps us in the all-time wins race and improves their NET rating, which helps us when we beat them. 😉

Yea it was physical. and even tho the foul totals were high, I thought the refs let a lot go...

TENN is good, but very undisciplined in my option. And again, TENN has guys on the team that seem like have been there for years.

Reactions: G-PIP
78 FTs in a game. Yeah that’s what I want to watch.
lol

i swear bbncal, you are my fav poster here. sometimes you absolutely crack me up.

My thought exactly.

Remember when we got to watch Vandy shoot like, 50, against us ! Or does that just seem to happen every time we goto Miserable Gym ?

ahhh, memories ! lol

lol

i swear bbncal, you are my fav poster here. sometimes you absolutely crack me up.

My thought exactly.

Remember when we got to watch Vandy shoot like, 50, against us ! Or does that just seem to happen every time we goto Miserable Gym ?

ahhh, memories ! lol

Nobody wants to watch a FT shooting contest. It's not fun.

And yes, I hate playing any SEC game on the road for that reason. Thompson-Boling and Memorial are two places I can't stand playing for that.

If the refs let TN play that way against us we are in trouble. I know coaches say just have to play through the contact but this kind of physicality is above that and would be hard to get many good shots off. I can't see SEC refs keeping them under control like these refs did.

I watched the 2nd half of this game and wow, what a debacle.

But watch what happens when UK and UT meet up. We'll be the ones in foul trouble and UT will be allowed to hack, slap and bump all game long.

Nobody wants to watch a FT shooting contest. It's not fun.

And yes, I hate playing any SEC game on the road for that reason. Thompson-Boling and Memorial are two places I can't stand playing for that.
That's exactly what Rick Barnes wants...a FT shooting contest. I would prefer the officials call those fouls if they are indeed occurring. That's the only way to clean up college basketball.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
It is obvious Rick Barnes coaches this physical/dirty style of basketball.

Every one of his teams play this way.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT