ADVERTISEMENT

Koby Brea health status?

“A big part of why I backed out of the draft and didn’t do a lot of my workouts was I just wanted to make sure that I was completely healthy going into this new year. It’s just kind of something that me and my agent talked about,” Brea said Tuesday. “After the season, I wasn’t feeling too great, so after some conversations with my agent and my family, we were just like, ‘No, let’s take a step back so we can take a couple of steps forward later on.’

“We just took some time off to finally heal from my previous injury and I feel a lot better now. I’m really glad that I did.”

It was a decision that’s been three offseasons in the making, a calculated approach after some trial-and-error in back-to-back summers at Dayton. He opted against surgery going into his junior season while fighting stress fractures in both legs. Then after a year of lingering pain, Brea went through with a double surgery to put metal rods in both legs the following offseason.

HIPAA only constrains your medical provider and people they work with, not everyone.

It's just none of our business at this point.
This.

HIPAA only applies if you have access to information because you're involved in some aspect of their health care. Health Care organizations do training and have people sign forms on this.

A coach has no requirement to protect that information. Coaches can, and often do--for various reasons.

People used to try to pull the "It's a HIPAA violation" to ask if I've been vaccinated. You can't HIPAA violate yourself. People can ask you for information. You're certainly within your rights to not answer. But, asking is not a HIPAA violation. And some places will deny you a job or even service if you're not providing the required information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT