ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Mingione last night

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Decided to give an IBB last night in the bottom of the 9th to Georgia's best hitter which put the winning run on base. Most will tell you that is an absolute bad decision. But I thought it was a calculated gamble, given that we had 2 outs already. It worked out the next batter hit an easy come backer right to the pitcher. Lots of criticism this season of the coach, and to be sure some strange moves and lack of pitching has been worrisome. But the move last night was a hell of a call in that spot, and worked out beautifully for Kentucky.

Much like "going for it" on 4th down, if you're successful, it's a great call. If not, you face the wrath of the masses.
Genius or idiot, it's a fine line...

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
I don't have any problem with that type of decision. He isn't in scoring position and a home run by him, of which he has 12 this year, beats you anyway. It is possible they score from first, but with a guy who isn't the fastest it is more unlikely.

Reactions: mark0202
Let's also congratulate him on saving JL to pitch in the rubber game with our backs against the wall. I thought putting your experienced starter in that position was a much better choice than sending him out early to win the series on the road was critical. And he certainly responded.

Decided to give an IBB last night in the bottom of the 9th to Georgia's best hitter which put the winning run on base. Most will tell you that is an absolute bad decision. But I thought it was a calculated gamble, given that we had 2 outs already. It worked out the next batter hit an easy come backer right to the pitcher. Lots of criticism this season of the coach, and to be sure some strange moves and lack of pitching has been worrisome. But the move last night was a hell of a call in that spot, and worked out beautifully for Kentucky.

Good point. After last year, I had more faith in Ming than any other coach on campus when it comes to "x's and o's" and coaching acumen. This year has been far less inspiring, but you're right, his calculated risk paid off.

Also, he also elected to pull Jimmy ramsey, put in coleman for one batter and then pulled him, and then put Mach in one day after he had gone three innings. I was cursing the decision as I thought it was VERY risky (if that game goes to extra innings, who else do we have to pitch given that Mach was running on fumes???); but, it worked, so I have to give Ming all the credit for the call.

It was huge series win for UK. Still they had no business losing the series to Bama and getting swept at Arkansas. I think this week will tell a lot about UK. Four very tough games.

It's true. Those two factors (losing series to Bama and sweep at Arky) really put us in a bind. In fact, I would argue that UK almost needs to win this series this weekend to maintain its position as a national seed (i.e. a regional host site). Competition is tough to grab those spots out of the SEC this year as UF, Arky, Ole Miss, Vandy, A&M, LSU, Georgia, and UK all have a legitimate claim. UF, Arky, and Ole Miss have the best chances. I'd put UK right there with the other three as we have some marquee wins (Tx Tech, Aubie, @GA, plus some good OOC wins like UL, Houston, Sam Houston), but our SEC record is worse than any of the other contenders. A sweep (win) at home this weekend puts us in a great position. A sweep (loss) puts us in dire straits as we'd be 4 games below .500 with 9 to play. Winning 2-1 would be more than sufficient to have us reach all of our goals.

Reactions: irishcat1965
ADVERTISEMENT