ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Example of Calipari Inadequacy!

rollsroyce8420

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
Texas Tech was getting to the rim at will in the first half. So, Coach K comes out in a zone and sticks with it in the second half. It took away all the driving lanes and won Duke the game. That’s an adjustment Calipari would’ve never made. Think back to the 2019 regional final against Auburn when Jared Harper was eating our guards alive and getting to the rim for layup after layup. Point being, Cal’s stubbornness has been and will continue to be a huge road block for UK’s quest to be a factor for a deep run in March. He’s just became way too easy to scout against on both ends of the floor. He doesn’t have near enough tools in his toolbox to complete the job.

Texas Tech was getting to the rim at will in the first half. So, Coach K comes out in a zone and sticks with it in the second half. It took away all the driving lanes and won Duke the game. That’s an adjustment Calipari would’ve never made. Think back to the 2019 regional final against Auburn when Jared Harper was eating our guards alive and getting to the rim for layup after layup. Point being, Cal’s stubbornness has been and will continue to be a huge road block for UK’s quest to be a factor for a deep run in March. He’s just became way too easy to scout against on both ends of the floor. He doesn’t have near enough tools in his toolbox to complete the job.
Preach

Duke also had a 100 FG% and missed only 1 free throw in the last 8:30.

That contributed too lol
Everybody on the floor for Duke can dribble, pass and shoot besides Williams, who is a true low post C. We OTOH usually trot out three non shooters and one of whom can't dribble. That is not winning basketball anymore. Combine that with a stubborn coach who refuses to play any Zone defense and, well, you get our results since 2016.

He's never winning another title here.

Imagine if a football team played the same defensive scheme on every play, had only one passing play and one run play, ran the same play out of every timeout, strictly ran the ball if they had any lead at all and it was the 4th quarter, and simply relied on size and athleticism to win. That’s basically what we are.

Imagine if a football team played the same defensive scheme on every play, had only one passing play and one run play, ran the same play out of every timeout, strictly ran the ball if they had any lead at all and it was the 4th quarter, and simply relied on size and athleticism to win. That’s basically what we are.
Pretty good analogy actually. Kinda reminds me of the Techno Bowl and Double Dribble games from Nintendo lol!

It helps to have players that have spent more than 1 semester together, No matter if they are 5*freshman or transfer seniors. Example. St Pet have 4 juniors . That's 3 years of knowing how your other team mates will react. He runs all his probable 4 year player off due to no playing time just so he can say "look at all the players 'I've put in the NBA. " Hell I can't even remember the players names due to turn overs. JMO

It helps to have players that have spent more than 1 semester together, No matter if they are 5*freshman or transfer seniors. Example. St Pet have 4 juniors . That's 3 years of knowing how your other team mates will react. He runs all his probable 4 year player off due to no playing time just so he can say "look at all the players 'I've put in the NBA. " Hell I can't even remember the players names due to turn overs. JMO
I really hope we don't run into that experienced Saint Peters team next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

And Ashton Hagans had basically a mild mental breakdown.

That's another running Cal theme: somehow putting so much pressure on his players in the tournament that they mentally just fold. That instance was the first time it sort of came out but it's definitely been a persistent thing. I suspect he's feeling intense pressure and unintentionally passes it on to the players. Whatever he's doing to cause it absolutely needs addressed.

Last edited:
I have been saying that for a few years. I really don't think he will win another title, even if the Dream Team comes out of retirement and puts on KY blue.
Have Said forever that unless he has the best of the best to "hide his coaching"...Remember he tells players he can't hide them here, he's not going to make a FF much less win a NC.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He's like that dude that had a good coffee at Starbucks once and now only drinks Starbucks coffee. His clown car offense won a title in 2012 with one of the historically greatest college players of all time and he has refused to change his offensive or defensive philosophy since.

he did basically the same thing against UK
in the 2nd half he allowed Wheeler to drive inside & force up a shot which was either blocked or missed
yet ccc NEVER made an adjustment
apparently he doesn't know that they are allowed just like taking a time out

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I don’t understand why so many people are enamored with a zone defense. Is it just because of Cal’s inflexibility? A lot of people are upset with our lack of 3 pt defense. A zone certainly isn’t going to help that.

Cal’s coaching leaves a lot to be desired. To me, running a zone isn’t one of them. Rupp never ran a zone until very late in his career and that was a high pressure, trapping zone. I guess I would be ok with that if we were a more up-tempo team.

Texas Tech had 1 Forward that is better than Keion Brooks and Jacob Toppin put together, Bryson Williams. They had a 2nd Forward better than both Toppin and Brooks put together, Obanor. So many teams out there that were actually more talented than our team that just didn't happen to have Oscar Tshiebwe on their roster.

We keep talking about coaching, but the overall talent has slipped. Then you put it together with guys that are talented, Hopkins and Collins, but they aren't ready to have 25-30 minute games yet.

That is your biggest Cal inadequacy that this program currently faces. Overall talent.

Reactions: reggis1 and bnewt
Texas Tech had 1 Forward that is better than Keion Brooks and Jacob Toppin put together, Bryson Williams. They had a 2nd Forward better than both Toppin and Brooks put together, Obanor. So many teams out there that were actually more talented than our team that just didn't happen to have Oscar Tshiebwe on their roster.

We keep talking about coaching, but the overall talent has slipped. Then you put it together with guys that are talented, Hopkins and Collins, but they aren't ready to have 25-30 minute games yet.

That is your biggest Cal inadequacy that this program currently faces. Overall talent.
Yeah and he sucks at game strategy and adjustments. I don’t give a damn how good of talent we have, you’re not winning 6 straight games in the tournament for a title, without making adjustments. Just isn’t gonna happen.

Reactions: bnewt
I was really hoping Mark Adams could win that game last night. IMO he is a very good coach. Hate to give Puke credit but that zone won the game for them.

You make a great point.....BUT don't expect Cal to make any adjustments.

• Sad
Reactions: vernoncoy
Coach K‘s own words were “the zone saved us”. The zone got multiple stops including some turnovers which led to some easy buckets for Duke. Duke did not play zone the entire second half. They made a switch, it altered the game flow, threw TT off, got Duke some quick buckets.

I do not for the life of me comprehend how when Cal spews his bullshit some people eat it up but when the GOAT (and I despise K) straight up says what swung the game in Dukes favor, people deny that to be true. Duke switched back to man to man the last few minutes.

With 30 seconds left this was a 1 possession game. Those stops were huge.

Nobody is asking Cal to become Syracuse but for effs when your guards cannot stay in front of anyone and Cal’s funnel the ball handler to a nonexistent shot blocker isn’t working maybe just maybe try something different?

Exactly.

I detest the attitude of “That’s not how WE play. We play the game _______this way.” That’s kinda what Calipari is doing when he refuses to zone. There are other things too. Most coaches have something. The game has rules. Use all the tools in the tool box to push the rules.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
I heard it rained when Cal was coaching. Somebody’s dog got wet and sneezed. That Calimari feller kain’t coach when it’s rainin and then dogs a got wet

Well…it makes as much sense as the rest of the crap here.

While I wholeheartedly agree with this thread's premise about Cal's inability or unwillingness to adjust offensive and defensive strategies during games, using 2019 Auburn tourney game is not the example to use to enhance this viewpoint.

That Auburn team loved to shoot the 3, and had a cast of players who could make them. They were beyond hot coming into that Elite 8 game (check out their three point stats the previous games against UNC and KU), so forcing Harper and Brown to penetrate was the much better coaching move. They only scored 60 pts in regulation. Defense wasn't UKs issue that game, it was trying to constantly force feed PJ and Reid the entire second half, much like they did against Houston the previous game (blew a double digit second half lead doing so against Houston).

I detest the attitude of “That’s not how WE play. We play the game _______this way.” That’s kinda what Calipari is doing when he refuses to zone. There are other things too. Most coaches have something. The game has rules. Use all the tools in the tool box to push the rules.
At my work when I was reviewing I would cringe at the number of times I would see “SALY” (same as last year) on work-papers. Maybe there is a different/more efficient way to get what you want? The easy way is SALY—my works equivalent of this is the way we play. But what are you missing?

The way we always do it is the sign of a person in-charge who is stagnant and on the downside of their career. You don’t have to abandon your core principles/philosophy, but you have to be willing to adapt/modify.

Reactions: vernoncoy
First of all, you don’t know that. Secondly, Duke players had to tell him to switch back to man to man towards the end of the game. That’s what turned the game around, and brilliant K had to be told by his players to do that. Now that’s a real HOF coach. What BS. You’re a Coach K butt-kisser just like the media is.

There is no doubt about this - he also gets killed on dead ball inbounds plays both on offense & defense yet we run the same play every time

Everybody on the floor for Duke can dribble, pass and shoot besides Williams, who is a true low post C. We OTOH usually trot out three non shooters and one of whom can't dribble. That is not winning basketball anymore. Combine that with a stubborn coach who refuses to play any Zone defense and, well, you get our results since 2016.
This is where Cal is lacking since some of his assistants have left. Player development is seriously lacking. I think that the offensive strategy is fine. But, the lack of player development limits the effectiveness. We can debate the defensive adjustments. However, player development is at the top of the list for me.

There are very few players that have gotten better through their time here.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Hard to argue with this although I will make a clarifying point (that actually makes Cal look worse IMO):

The adjustments we want (with this zone package being one) are not rocket science. We all know Cal is not an idiot (although this board seems to think otherwise) and can fairly easily add a freaking zone defense to his toolbox. He just won’t do it because he’s stubborn and apparently would rather go down his way than switch things up. It’s not an intelligence or an Xs and Os thing: it’s a stubbornness/ego thing.

Again, that probably makes Cal looks worse. Just some small tweaks that he is obviously capable of making but just won’t do it for whatever reason. It’s infuriating.

He’s just lazy. Says beat your man and then heads to Dunkin Doughnuts.

That is why coach K is the goat.

I think the only time I saw Cal go to a zone was in the 2014 title game against UCONN to get us back in that game. I want to say we went back to man in 2nd half though. Bad offense lost that game though, as evident by the 54 points scored in a fairly close loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT