ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason AP Top 25 most underrated and overrated teams

Kentucky is the most underrated team in the poll. I wonder how far we move up after we beat Kansas?
Top 5-Being possibly #15 or so after a few cupcakes, then beating #1 Kansas on a neutral floor, while being undefeated, with the Kentucky Tradition, it would be near impossible for even the AP to keep the Cats out of the top 5.

Last edited:
Will be a tall order considering we have 14’ of players who may not play that game, and their best player is 7’0.
And that 7 footer could not beat UK last year. So we will see. Depends on how quickly Big Z acclimates to his teammates and coaches. If we can get a solid 15 or 20 minutes out of Big Z along with our other players (if we can get one or two of UNO / Aaron) for another 10 to 15 minutes and we will be grand.

I don’t get UNC at all. They have 2 okay college guys who have been there forever in bacot and Davis. They took a bunch of wings from bad teams and added to the roster, I don’t see them being good or a top 25 team at all. I could be wrong but that roster isn’t that impressive

I don’t get UNC at all. They have 2 okay college guys who have been there forever in bacot and Davis. They took a bunch of wings from bad teams and added to the roster, I don’t see them being good or a top 25 team at all. I could be wrong but that roster isn’t that impressive
Bacot is one of those college players who will put up good numbers, but him being a focus isn’t going win big games.

Bacot is one of those college players who will put up good numbers, but him being a focus isn’t going win big games.
Yeah. And Davis is a good guard but he is turnover prone and those 2 are your best players leaves alot to be desired. Then they took 3 wing from bad teams and expect them to solve a lot of the issues

On paper we look pretty good, but we have looked pretty good the last 3 or 4 years and how has that worked out. If Bradshaw and O play in 5 or 6 weeks, if Z make up for lost time and give us something till then, if Cal ups his coaching game or lets his assistants bring more than yes Cal to the table. Just too many if's with this team right now

Will be a tall order considering we have 14’ of players who may not play that game, and their best player is 7’0.
Michigan had the same 7' footer Kansas has this year, along with two NBA Draft Top 15 picks, and finished 18-16. Purdue had a better 7'-footer and lost to a 16-seed Fairleigh Dickison, a team with literally THE SMALLEST AVERAGE HEIGHT in NCAA division 1. You can look it up.

We'll all see soon enough, but I'm not convinced an aircraft carrier demanding the ball in the paint all night and dictating a slow-to-moderate speed on offense is the best path to victory in today's game.

Reactions: G-PIP
for once I would agree we are underrated

but its deserved for many, many years of being overrated

Pretty much anything that Kansas UNC and Duke do, is seen as innovative. 30th ranked recruit? He'll be a difference maker for sure! Some no-name transfers? Really embracing the modern trends! Watch out for these teams. Those teams could literally not add a single player off a 20-win team and it would be seen as a positive.

Cal brings in one of his patented all-star recruiting classes, the type of classes that almost ALWAYS get to 30 wins and/or make a run in March and it's "wait and see" mode. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Michigan had the same 7' footer Kansas has this year, along with two NBA Draft Top 15 picks, and finished 18-16. Purdue had a better 7'-footer and lost to a 16-seed Fairleigh Dickison, a team with literally THE SMALLEST AVERAGE HEIGHT in NCAA division 1. You can look it up.

We'll all see soon enough, but I'm not convinced an aircraft carrier demanding the ball in the paint all night and dictating a slow-to-moderate speed on offense is the best path to victory in today's game.
You make a good point, I believe. Even from just an offensive standpoint, I'd want that reliable post scorer - but I wouldn't want to run all the offense through that post player. I think the added value of the 3-pt. shot means it almost has to be an integral part of your offense. If you add in a strong driver or two, I think you have the makings of a good hard to handle college offense.

Hubert going to be catching heat soon if they don't produce

I agree that we're being extremely underrated, and I agree with our preseason ranking st the same time. This team has too much talent to not be a Top 5 team when it's all said and done. That being said, Cal has got to prove it. After the past couple of seasons he's lost a little bit of that benefit of the doubt. If we rock Kansas in that early game folks will rank us appropriately. Also, Tennessee is trash.

FAU will be interesting to keep tabs on. I like their coach and they return all 5 starters from a 30+ win regular season and FF team.
TBH, I think this team is good----but not THAT good. They were a tip in away from losing to Memphis in the 1st round. I like Dusty May. Good dude.

I agree that we're being extremely underrated, and I agree with our preseason ranking st the same time. This team has too much talent to not be a Top 5 team when it's all said and done. That being said, Cal has got to prove it. After the past couple of seasons he's lost a little bit of that benefit of the doubt. If we rock Kansas in that early game folks will rank us appropriately. Also, Tennessee is trash.
I think UK's ranking is based a lot on Cal, and the shit he's gotten; and the past 3 years. In the past, with a class like this? Top 5 was a given. If the frosh are as advertised, this could be a scary team.

Speed killed Purdue. FDU was a ****ing nightmare for them. With that being said, Edey didn;t attempt a shot the last NINE minutes. Not sure how the **** that happens.

Dickinson on KU is different than Dickinson om UM. Howard's not a very good coach, and there were huge chemistry issues there. KU adding Hunter is a big time get.

Reactions: BigCat241

Bill Self (strictly as a college X and O coach) is miles ahead of Juwan and Painter, I think that is the big difference. Also have two pretty good veteran guards to go along with him.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Pretty much anything that Kansas UNC and Duke do, is seen as innovative. 30th ranked recruit? He'll be a difference maker for sure! Some no-name transfers? Really embracing the modern trends! Watch out for these teams. Those teams could literally not add a single player off a 20-win team and it would be seen as a positive.

Cal brings in one of his patented all-star recruiting classes, the type of classes that almost ALWAYS get to 30 wins and/or make a run in March and it's "wait and see" mode. Lol.
Nahhh, I think it is more so that each of those of those teams have proven college studs on their roster. I think Reeves is kind of close, but guys like Dickinson, Filpowski, Bacot, and Davis are all at least a tier above him.

Speed killed Purdue. FDU was a ****ing nightmare for them. With that being said, Edey didn;t attempt a shot the last NINE minutes. Not sure how the **** that happens.

Dickinson on KU is different than Dickinson om UM. Howard's not a very good coach, and there were huge chemistry issues there. KU adding Hunter is a big time get.
He is, but the offense has to be run through him, everything has to go through hunter and that can be good and bad. He also isn’t great defensively. He can block shots but he isn’t a great defender. Kansas will be good but I think they will have some problems come up as well

Bill Self (strictly as a college X and O coach) is miles ahead of Juwan and Painter, I think that is the big difference. Also have two pretty good veteran guards to go along with him.
This....Edey had two freshman guards....Dicjinson had two frosh and a soph guard.

At Kansas, Dickinson will have two seniors and a junior in the b'c. Plus a guy named Self.

I look for Purdue to be much improved, as their guards now have a year under their belts. And Dickinson at Kansas, under Bill Self, with experienced guards, is light years diffrent than him at Michigan

He is, but the offense has to be run through him, everything has to go through hunter and that can be good and bad. He also isn’t great defensively. He can block shots but he isn’t a great defender. Kansas will be good but I think they will have some problems come up as well
He does struggle defensively, especially off the blocks; He had big issues trying to defend TJD. But on the blocks, post defense, he's pretty solid. He's a very, very good passer, and is pretty solid away from the basket; He shot 42%(24-57) from three. With his shooting ability /passing, he's a very versatile piece on the offensive end----and is a very good offensive rebounder. He doesn't need the offense ran thorugh him---But I mean, thats not a bad idea TBH.

I cant stand the dude. Seen enough of his ass for 3 years. But hes pretty damn good. Hes gonna be a problem at KU, with Selfs offense.

TBH, I think this team is good----but not THAT good. They were a tip in away from losing to Memphis in the 1st round. I like Dusty May. Good dude.
I see people bring up the memphis game, but that’s just the nature of the tournament. They still went on to win three more games to get the FF.

I don’t know what to expect from them, but they’ll be a team I try to keep track of some.

I see people bring up the memphis game, but that’s just the nature of the tournament. They still went on to win three more games to get the FF.

I don’t know what to expect from them, but they’ll be a team I try to keep track of some.
True. But they were a 9 seed for a reason. Good team. Good coach. But Top 10? Meh....

If Elliott Cadeau doesn’t live up to his billing, the team will struggle pretty badly and miss the tournament, I think. The downside on Cadeau to me is lack of size and questions on preparation for the next level as a reclass. In his defense, he is deceptively athletic and quick, high IQ player, and his reclass immediately ran off Simeon Wilcher.

just imagine the pressure Davis is under though after the challenges of last year. That is part of what has killed Cal's momentum. Given the benefit of the doubt that the team is better compared to others, and then it not panning out, them falling like a rock throughout the season.

If Elliott Cadeau doesn’t live up to his billing, the team will struggle pretty badly and miss the tournament, I think. The downside on Cadeau to me is lack of size and questions on preparation for the next level as a reclass. In his defense, he is deceptively athletic and quick, high IQ player, and his reclass immediately ran off Simeon Wilcher.
I can’t see Carolina taking the ball out of Davis hands, I agree cadeau is good and if they let him play through mistakes and grow that helps them a lot. But I have though for a while bacot can’t be your best player, he just can’t. And on UNC he is the best player. I see a team in the same situation as last year maybe a little better maybe even a little worse. 3 wings from bad teams doesn’t solve the issues they have/had

They took a wing from Stanford, ND, and Louisville. All 3 were terrible and only one of them can shoot. I just don’t see them being much bette Ethan they were last year

I think Harrison Ingram is going to be a good one for them. Plus Elliot Cadeau is a really good PG so RJ Davis won't be playing PG.

What kills me from Kansas is exactly this:

Elmarko Jackson - savant, Dillingham (rated higher) - not a factor
Nick Timberlake from Towson(!!) - starter on a #1 team, 2nd yr Reeves - barely makes the all-conference 2nd team

I don't see it with Duke. They had 3 potential 1st rounders return for their sophomore year. Also K/Scheyer have never had a transfer in the starting lineup since the sit-out redshirt rule (Rodney Hood - 10 years ago)

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think Harrison Ingram is going to be a good one for them. Plus Elliot Cadeau is a really good PG so RJ Davis won't be playing PG.
Ingram is the best one out of the 3 wings they took. Cadeau should get the ball, but idk if Hubert will take the ball out of rj davis hands or not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT