ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Roster

Dude that starting lineup is absolutely stacked.

You have 3 projected lottery picks, a 4th who is projected first round, and a 2 time All-American.

What else are you expecting exactly??
If we start 4 freshmen along with Dickinson, stacked or not, that is a minimal 10 loss regular season and possible bubble talk going into March.

Draft stock correlates to winning for Calipari if a player's stock is still top 5 at season's end.

Cal is winning an average of 36+ games per year in 7 seasons when he has a top 5 pick on the roster: 1996, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017.

The sample size is enormous at this point. Edwards could be that guy for us.
Does correlation imply causation? I don’t know about that my friend. It’s kind of sounds like saying: Calipari always gets to the FF if he has a PG averaging at least 4 assist/game; and this year Wheeler is averaging 8 assists/game, so no doubt UK will make the FF this year. Or, Calipari always gets past the Sweet 16 every 3rd year, and this will be the 3rd year so UK will get past the Sweet 16 this year.

Does correlation imply causation? I don’t know about that my friend. It’s kind of sounds like saying: Calipari always gets to the FF if he has a PG averaging at least 4 assist/game; and this year Wheeler is averaging 8 assists/game, so no doubt UK will make the FF this year. Or, Calipari always gets past the Sweet 16 every 3rd year, and this will be the 3rd year so UK will get past the Sweet 16 this year.
I'd say that it does imply causation. You tell me. How good were Camby, Rose, Evans, Wall/Cousins, Davis, Fox, and Towns?

There's 4 #1 picks in there; two #2 picks; aa 4 pick, and a 5 pick. All of these guys were incredible in college as well.

The argument will be made that times have changed, but I tend to agree.

With Cal, lottery picks correlate with success. Multiple lottery/first round picks.
The argument that "times have changed" is only about two years old. Give the big dogs a change to adapt like they did with OAD, and they'll do it.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
The argument that "times have changed" is only about two years old. Give the big dogs a change to adapt like they did with OAD, and they'll do it.
I tend to think you’ve got to have those elite guys, but also need some returning talent and then use the portal to fill in the blanks.

If we were to get Tshiebwe, Livingston, and Reeves back to go with the elite Freshmen, we should make a deep run. If Cal can’t make a deep run with that type of talent and experience combined, then something is wrong.

Even if Tshiebwe goes, if we can get a very good college big man like Dickinson, we should still be in good shape.

Now if we have to rely solely on the Freshmen, with just role players like Onyenso, Theiro, and Ware returning, it’s a little more iffy. A few more regular season losses resulting in a lower seed and it becomes much harder to advance.

But with Cal at the helm, I want elite talent over experience, if I have to pick between the two. I mean a team full of Seniors fell in the second round, so it doesn’t sound like experience is the answer (with Cal as the coach).

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Collins has such a high ceiling as a college player. He's caught a bad break with personal stuff going on this season and having a coach that won't give him grace on the floor. I would love to see him get his opportunity somewhere, just wish it was with us. I also know that will never happen.
Fully disagree with the high ceiling comment. Wish him the best but he is average at everything.

I'd say that it does imply causation. You tell me. How good were Camby, Rose, Evans, Wall/Cousins, Davis, Fox, and Towns?

There's 4 #1 picks in there; two #2 picks; aa 4 pick, and a 5 pick. All of these guys were incredible in college as well.
I don’t believe that having freshmen who are projected as lottery picks (which, let’s not forget, is based on future potential which may or may not develop even over multiple years in the NBA) means that, or is a requirement for, either Calipari or any other coach to do well in the Tournament, little alone win the Title. Have the other teams that have been winning the Titles all (or even mostly) done so with freshmen projected as lottery picks? Is Calipari so much better with freshmen projected lottery picks that he alone can do what others seeming cannot?

Those players you mentioned were all good players, and you need good players to win. But in general, the best players at each position in college, year-in-and-year-out, are not freshmen. Now, I admit that my definition of best player is the one that most impacts winning games in college. Others may define best player as highest ranked coming out of high school, highest projected draft pick, or what the player becomes after a few years in the NBA.

Here is what think our roster will be. The 5 freshmen, Ware and Oyenso, Laurel &Hardy and the 3 Stooges. All led by the biggest and worst cartoon character/ coach in the college ranks, Goofy. Cal can’t leave our program quick enough. He is tearing it down at a record pace. Can’t stand it anymore.
Cal recruited this class. He could recruit 8th graders and coach like Billy G and you would be happier.

Cal recruited this class. He could recruit 8th graders and coach like Billy G and you would be happier.
Billy G is a better coach than Cal. If he had the talent Cal has had he would do better. Cal sucks and you need to face it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT