ADVERTISEMENT

Portal decisions

UofL will be fairly good this year. Will make our game mean a little more this year. 2 new coaches, how many times has that happened in the series? Guess is first time this year.

Glad some of the guys that were looking at UK (Achor / Osobore) went outside of conference.

Hope we get who Pope wants or the last 2 roster spots.

Reactions: BlueSince92
UK seemed to go soft on White (who I really wanted). Makes me think Pope feels good about landing one of Polar, Robinson, Lanier, or Wells.
I'm with you, Saul. I'm confident that Coach Pope has his finger on the pulse, so to speak, with respect to how we stand with Poplar, Robinson, Lanier, and Wells.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: Fox2monk
So we built a whole team out of the portal, we going with 10 or 12 as well?
It could happen. You do not build a winning team using the portal. You fill gaps and you move forward. Look at last season as a prime example. We will win some games next season, probably lose a couple we shouldn’t. But to build the program you gotta rebuild the brand. You have to have players begging to come here. It will happen. Just probably not as fast as we would like. I can be patient now that the madness is gone. I’ll give him two years then we start playing for Final Fours.

It could happen. You do not build a winning team using the portal. You fill gaps and you move forward. Look at last season as a prime example. We will win some games next season, probably lose a couple we shouldn’t. But to build the program you gotta rebuild the brand. You have to have players begging to come here. It will happen. Just probably not as fast as we would like. I can be patient now that the madness is gone. I’ll give him two years then we start playing for Final Fours.
Not to disagree but nextyear ends the Covid players that played. Teams won t have 6-7 year players and 26 year old seniors.

To built a team it’s more about the art of coaching and the chemistry and camaraderie you can create as a coach , getting the whole roaster to buy in , plus how the pieces fit together based on the basketball style you want to play.

I would think that the source of players, transfer portal, high school , or underclassmen becomes important based on what you want to implement as a coach. If you are highly schematic, big emphasis on defense you will need to have players that either learn quickly because they have been exposed to similar concepts before ( older players or high iq freshman) or you need players to stick around more than a year in the program .

They did not have that many:

Bama:
Estrada, Nelson, Wrightsell, Wague, Sears, Pringle - They actually had 5 freshmen on their roster

UConn -
Just 3 - Spencer, Newton, Diarra - Likewise, UConn had 5 freshmen.
My apologies; I should have written they each had 8-9 new players on their roster. I know Alabama also had to replace 3 assistants. Huge turnover for each team that ended up very successful.

Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: ukfan1622
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT