ADVERTISEMENT

Pork Chop discrimination

Xception

All-American
Apr 18, 2007
Galaxy
We have the best steak, chicken and pizza thread every other year. To go along with suggestions for the best home preparation, but why is the pork chop left out? Restaurants aren’t known for their chops and many don’t even attempt to serve it. I often grill pc’s or even fry them with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy for starters.

So my question is who serves the best chop or what’s your personal go to. For me it’s olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and celery salt grilled over Kingsford.

6f26e09fd3_giphy.gif

This is money. Thick cut chops. 1-1/2 inches. An oven pan with depth greater than that thickness (minimum 2 inches). Arrange chops in pan such that they consume maximum pan volume without excessive amount of touching sides of pan and other chops (chops must not be crammed into pan or against the other. Some spacing desired).

Butter. 100% real stick butter. Add to pan, on top of chops, enough that when melted will create chops submerged in "butter bath". May also add whatever additional flavoring is desired at this time (only time I use a mustard based bbq flavor, but whatever).

In oven. 125 degrees f. 3-4 hours for legit 1-1/2 inch thick chops. 4-6 hours for 2-inch thick. Rotate (flip) 1/2-way through this process. Reduce time by 20-25% for "bone-in".

Remove from oven / pan while allowing excess to drip off before immediately placing on open flame grill. Important note! Your chops are already cooked. You are now only applying a surface burn to the chops, just long enough to mark some lines on them, cook the butter off. Flip only one time LIKE A PRO !!

This is as good as pork chops get and the next best method is so far back that 2nd place is next year's pig.

The negative: messy clean-up. If you live outside of town the you will have used a 1 time only foil tray from the Dollar General and the coons and possums will have it cleaned up for you to throw in the trash by morning. For everyone else you will dump the used mix in a bucket and go pour the remnants on your neighbor's compost pile.

All seriousness . . . (edit to previous) . . . the butter bath is bad-ass way to beautiful pork chops. Best thing for anyone truly interested is to experiment with a couple of them using pie plates. Like anything, you get the hang of it. And the grill time is short. Chops already at 125f (and all softened up) will not take long to accelerate to the desired meat temperature, which is what? 165-170f?

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I go to my local market (Midtown Market for my PADUCAH peeps) and get 1.25” bone in chops. Sea salt, cracked black pepper, onion & garlic powder both sides.

Set up the ole trusty Webber Kettle for indirect heat. Get the the temp up to 525-575 and cook chops, over the direct side for 3 minutes on each side. Move them to indirect side for 7 minutes each side. Let rest for 10 minutes and they are just as good or better than Patti’s (again for my PADUCAH peeps)

Reactions: UKGrad93 and chroix
Buy heritage bred meat which has much better flavor than the stuff sold in most groceries. I prefer thick center cut pork chops. Brine the chops for six hours in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar and garlic powder. Then dry and brush with a little olive oil, season with salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Grill over charcoal with a few chunks of water soaked pecan wood (to create. smoke) for about 5 minutes per side. You will get moist (from the brining), smokey and delicious porky goodness.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
No one has mentioned Rosemary along with the salt, pepper and butter. I usually do them in a really hot iron skillet to get a sear and then partially cover them just until they are still barely pink near the bone.

I had a medium rare pork chop at a cool restaurant in Five Points in Birmingham years ago that was out of this world good.

Reactions: JDHoss
No one has mentioned Rosemary along with the salt, pepper and butter. I usually do them in a really hot iron skillet to get a sear and then partially cover them just until they are still barely pink near the bone.

I had a medium rare pork chop at a cool restaurant in Five Points in Birmingham years ago that was out of this world good.
If that chop isn’t 145 I’m not eating it. [sick]

For 1-2 inch thick chops, I use a dry rub mix of my own, and put them on my Lodge cast iron Sportsmans Grill.
3-4 inches thick, I use my infrared grill.
For both methods, I first marinate in a cooking sherry, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar mix. I save this, after removing the chops, and use to roast Brussel sprout halves.

For 1-2 inch thick chops, I use a dry rub mix of my own, and put them on my Lodge cast iron Sportsmans Grill.
3-4 inches thick, I use my infrared grill.
For both methods, I first marinate in a cooking sherry, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar mix. I save this, after removing the chops, and use to roast Brussel sprout halves.

You use marinade from pork to use when cooking other foods? Do you boil it first?

Haven’t been to Pattis in a long time. Have they reopened after their fire? Are the chops still their signature dish?

Thick cut boneless chops. Brine for 4-6 hours in a water/salt/brown sugar/garlic solution. Rinse brine off and apply a good pork rub. Smoke on 225 until internal temp of 145 (about 1.5 hours). Put on a hot hot hot grill to get a nice reverse sear (couple mins per side).

Juiciest, most flavorful chops you will ever eat.

Pork Chop Cash ... first thing that came to mind. Saturday morning wrestling. Lance Russell & Dave Brown comin' at ya.
e3f19863305b49b49ff34b2a357edfa8.jpg

just thought I'd throw that out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT