ADVERTISEMENT

Pope's third year,..

,...look for him the put together a team that reminds you of '92--The Unforgettables.
I was told at Kentucky it is national championship or bust.

So what you are saying is that in 3 years, we will make the Elite-8?

Why “third year”? This ain’t the 1990s

In this transfer portal/NIL era, top tier programs don’t rebuild, instead they reload. Pope will get a one year grace period …max …before he’ll be expected to have a roster capable of contending for a title.

Reactions: UKPopeVIII
Anyone who thinks that *any* coach is going to come in here and put a team together better and faster than Pitino did needs to temper their expectations.

The '92 team was a very special bunch of over-achievers. A prayer shot at the buzzer by Laettner is all that kept the '92 team from beating the team that went on to win the '92 championship.

I watched the '78 championship, the '96 championship. the '98 championship, and the 2012 championship. Those years were fun to watch, needless to say. But the '92 team generated just as much fun and enthusiasm as those championship teams.

Anyone who thinks that *any* coach is going to come in here and put a team together better and faster than Pitino did needs to temper their expectations.
Do you not understand that the rules of roster construction have TOTALLY changed since then?

Yes, it is very reasonable to expect it to be done “faster” now. Because it’s now way easier to do quickly. Especially when you’re a blueblood with a giant pile of NIL money to work with.

Last edited:
It took golden boy Hurley five years to win a championship at UCONN.
So? He also didn’t have NIL and the portal to work with for the first of those years. You do realize that the these monumental changes where there are no longer transfer restrictions and players get paid occurred just a couple years ago, right?

The reason it was considered remarkable that Pitino built a contender in three years is because back then: 1) we were on probation and facing sanctions; 2) all transfers had to sit out an entire year; 3) there were extremely few desirable transfer candidates; and 4) players couldn’t be paid.

NONE of those restrictions apply today. A program can transform itself from pretender to contender in just one summer in this new era. Especially if it’s a big name big money program.

So? He also didn’t have NIL and the portal to work with for the first of those years. You do realize that the these monumental changes where there are no longer transfer restrictions and players get paid occurred just a couple years ago, right?

The reason it was considered remarkable that Pitino built a contender in three years is because back then: 1) we were on probation and facing sanctions; 2) all transfers had to sit out an entire year; 3) there were extremely few desirable transfer candidates; and 4) players couldn’t be paid.

NONE of those restrictions apply today. A program can transform itself from pretender to contender in just one summer in this new era. Especially if it’s a big name big money program.
You sure like to type a lot.

Portal or no portal if you have 2 players on the roster and they are incoming freshman it is a total rebuild. Now it is easier to do than it was then but it is still a total rebuild.
Bama does it every year your point is mute

What happened to trolls who were actually good at trolling? This is just low effort, OP
Just because one doesn't think that Pope is going to win a Natty and an Olympic gold medal first year in doesn't make them a troll. It's windy in Lexington today. You probably need to drop by Cal's place a hit the yard with a rake.

Just because one doesn't think that Pope is going to win a Natty and an Olympic gold medal first year in doesn't make them a troll. It's windy in Lexington today. You probably need to drop by Cal's place a hit the yard with a rake.
Seek employment

Why are all these new accounts posting threads like this. I don't understand what motivates some people.

The '92 team was a very special bunch of over-achievers. A prayer shot at the buzzer by Laettner is all that kept the '92 team from beating the team that went on to win the '92 championship.

I watched the '78 championship, the '96 championship. the '98 championship, and the 2012 championship. Those years were fun to watch, needless to say. But the '92 team generated just as much fun and enthusiasm as those championship teams.
Yes it did .
Pitino was a master at teamwork.
I believe Mashburn fouled out that game.

This comment is one of the weirdest things I’ve seen here, and that is saying a lot.

How would one convey a thought without typing words on a forum?
I looked over the list of your recent posts. You're a chronic grump. I don't know if you need to drink more or less. But it's something you need to figure out.

I looked over the list of your recent posts. You're a chronic grump. I don't know if you need to drink more or less. But it's something you need to figure out.
For better or worse, I’ll bite..

What exactly has there been to be excited about before Pope?

My negativity has plummeted with the cancer being removed from UK. I’m excited about the future of Uk basketball for the first time since Covid. Get your head out of your ass man.

For better or worse, I’ll bite..

What exactly has there been to be excited about before Pope?

My negativity has plummeted with the cancer being removed from UK. I’m excited about the future of Uk basketball for the first time since Covid. Get your head out of your ass man.
Yeah,...like that.--pretty much every post you make--grumpy. I like to stay as positive as possible. For example, I'd suggest you try drinking more before going the less route.

I'm guessing that a double shot of Jim Beam in your morning coffee will give you a whole new perspective on the world.

Yeah,...like that.--pretty much every post you make--grumpy. I like to stay as positive as possible. For example, I'd suggest you try drinking more before going the less route.

I'm guessing that a double shot of Jim Beam in your morning coffee will give you a whole new perspective on the world.
a double shot of Beam in my morning coffee would be disasterous. My less grumpy posts occur between 12-5pm cst, give me a couple of hours.

Do you not understand that the rules of roster construction have TOTALLY changed since then?

Yes, it is very reasonable to expect it to be done “faster” now. Because it’s now way easier to do quickly. Especially when you’re a blueblood with a giant pile of NIL money to work with.
It’s faster. But you shouldn’t expect to be great I year 1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT