ADVERTISEMENT

Pope's Assistants

Man this guy is a goofy Mormon whos relatively green in the tooth as a coach. This could be a disaster.

Like whats is the best outcome here? Not like this guys bringing in rick for the bench. Who could he possibly bring in? Then think about the worst. Feels very low floor low ceiling.
Really wish you would just cheer for the hogs. We don't need fans like you.

Reactions: KFuqua
What about Scott Padgett? Was a Cal guy and has over a decade of assistant experience. What's his specialty, coaching-wise?

A whole bunch of folks in here showing their asses. BBN is only confirming what others say about us.
Yup. I used to defend this fan base profusely. No more. Most of them really are spoiled brats. Is what it is. All I can do is try to represent with class.

According to Matt Norlander of CBS Sports, former Kentucky head coach John Calipari is expected to bring most of his staff from this past season with him to Arkansas. In fact, Calipari intends to bring four of his five assistants from the 2023-24 Kentucky team.

Those include associate to the head coach Bruiser Flint, associate coach Orlando Antigua, assistant coach Chuck Martin, and assistant coach Chin Coleman. Additionally, Norlander reports that Calipari’s son, Brad, who served as Vanderbilt’s director of on-court player development this past season, will also join the Razorbacks’ staff in Fayetteville.

The lone staff member not tagging along with Calipari to Arkansas is John Welch, who was tabbed the associate head coach at Fresno State earlier this week.

• Haha
I can't imagine anyone not WANTING this. But I think most have a pretty good idea it won't happen. Why?

Kentucky just hired a dude...
  • that has been a head coach for 9 years
  • has ZERO tournament wins
  • In 9 seasons of being a HC, he qualified for the NCAAT twice
  • He won his conference ZERO times
  • Conference finishes of...
    • 5th, 5th, 2nd, and 2nd in the WAC
    • 2nd, 2nd, 5th, and T5 in the WCC
    • 5th in the B12.

Read that GD list/paragraph again and let it sink in. Like REALLY let it sink in.

Hope is a strange thing to be banking on for the University of Kentucky basketball team. You shouldn't have to hope. You should hire a proven winner. Barring a Schiano/Tennessee type revolt, this is what we're stuck with it. It sucks.
He also coached at a school that doesn't allow players to use caffeine and has only 5 sweet 16 appearances in it's history. He beat teams Cal lost to at that same school. LET THAT SINK IN.

Man this guy is a goofy Mormon whos relatively green in the tooth as a coach. This could be a disaster.

Like whats is the best outcome here? Not like this guys bringing in rick for the bench. Who could he possibly bring in? Then think about the worst. Feels very low floor low ceiling.
Move on new guy. It's over. He's our coach. Deal with it or go back to the team you loved 139 posts ago.

GTFO clown back to your parents basement to finish yourself off

What does him being a Mormon have to do with anything? And the ceiling here is Hurley.

Reactions: KFuqua and chroix
I'd imagine he already has his crew.
3032024-inline-i-1-south-park-meets-mormon.webp
Ok. I laughed.

He had a better year than us with 3 star kids from Utah

Reactions: chroix
We need a clean break with Cal.

McCarty would have been a good choice if he hadn't gotten in trouble.

He also coached at a school that doesn't allow players to use caffeine and has only 5 sweet 16 appearances in it's history. He beat teams Cal lost to at that same school. LET THAT SINK IN.
Right. And how did he do compared to Dave Rose? Or Steve Cleveland? Or Roger Reid? What's my point? He did just about the same as the previous coaches at BYU. What's that point? Would you be cool hiring those other dudes from BYU? Yeah, that's what I thought. You act like he did something special at BYU. He did NOTHING at BYU that no dude hadn't done before him.

All of this said, I think he'll be just fine. But you shouldn't have to gamble at UK. And make no mistake, this is a HUGE gamble. And there's not a chance in hell he'd be the UK coach had he not played here. That's not a reason to hire someone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT