ADVERTISEMENT

Pope - Summer Press Conference

He gets a call from Mitch right around the 25 minute mark. LOL

Mitch is like that 9th grader in high school that wanted to sit at the big table in the cafeteria but couldn’t get the right dude to notice him. Then that day happens when the cool guy waves you over….

I know he’s glad Cals gone.

Anyone else think Pope is smart enough to notice those extra sweet coaching packages Mitch serves up if he likes you? Guys is smart as hell already thinkin of his great great great - great great, great grandchildren’s grandchildren.

Last edited:
Mitch is like that 9th grader in high school that wanted to sit at the big table in the cafeteria but couldn’t get the right dude to notice him. Then that day happens when the cool guy waves you over….

I know he’s glad Cals gone.

Anyone else think Pope is smart enough to notice those extra sweet coaching packages Mitch serves up if he likes you? Guys is smart as hell already thinkin of his great great great - great great, great grandchildren’s grandchildren.
Seems like Mitch and Pope already have a good relationship. That's gotta be refreshing to Mitch after dealing with the Cal turmoil.

Seems like Mitch and Pope already have a good relationship. That's gotta be refreshing to Mitch after dealing with the Cal turmoil.

Yea you can see it all over Mitch’s face at the press conference. He was overruled and locked out of the basketball program when he tried
To stop the Calipari hire. Calipari doesn’t forgive and it rumored early on that they had no relationship. This is the first time in 15 years the AD has had access. I mean we had to create a basketball assistant AD just so the department had access. That’s probably not heard of at a blue blood basketball program.

Yea you can see it all over Mitch’s face at the press conference. He was overruled and locked out of the basketball program when he tried
To stop the Calipari hire. Calipari doesn’t forgive and it rumored early on that they had no relationship. This is the first time in 15 years the AD has had access. I mean we had to create a basketball assistant AD just so the department had access. That’s probably not heard of at a blue blood basketball program.
If I wasn't providing any real instruction, I'd probably do the same thing.

Reactions: Killswitch24
I want this man to succeed more than I think I've ever cared about someone in sports succeeding. What an awesome dude.

He will. He’s got crazy support behind the scenesI from some guys that will see to it. With his intelligence and ability combined with the UK brand there’s no way it’ll fold. I think this will turn out to be the best hire since Pitino, even more than Calipari given who he is, what he means to the program, and unforeseen abilities.

How did I not know that Mark Pope was such a cool, likeable dude? Right?

What’s wild is I would always see people say how he’s not UK material but I kept my eye on him and noticed early on that he could grow into UK’S first player coach since Hall. Said it a few times didn’t go well. Never thought it would happen as fast as it did, but saw the potential. What I didn’t realize for some reason is all the signs were there. The guy was shooting up the ranks into a top conference quickly. I didn’t realize how long he waited to get into coaching. What I love about the hire is it’s fooled a lot of people in the basketball world. He was headed to another SEC program soon if we didn’t come calling, maybe Arkansas this season as a matter of fact. Nobody saw it coming because of how late he got into coaching, they just saw his age (51) and assumed he was mediocre. Nope, the guy wasn’t coaching until 40.

We gonna hang a banner.

What’s wild is I would always see people say how he’s not UK material but I kept my eye on him and noticed early on that he could grow into UK’S first player coach since Hall. Said it a few times didn’t go well. Never thought it would happen as fast as it did, but saw the potential. What I didn’t realize for some reason is all the signs were there. The guy was shooting up the ranks into a top conference quickly. I didn’t realize how long he waited to get into coaching. What I love about the hire is it’s fooled a lot of people in the basketball world. He was headed to another SEC program soon if we didn’t come calling, maybe Arkansas this season as a matter of fact. Nobody saw it coming because of how late he got into coaching, they just saw his age (51) and assumed he was mediocre. Nope, the guy wasn’t coaching until 40.

We gonna hang a banner.
Well you're smarter than me. When someone said in a post on here that Pope would be a good choice for our next coach, I said, and I quote: THE Pope has a better chance of being our next coach than MARK Pope.

• Haha
Reactions: Killswitch24
Well you're smarter than me. When someone said in a post on here that Pope would be a good choice for our next coach, I said, and I quote: THE Pope has a better chance of being our next coach than MARK Pope.

I didn’t think he would be hired yet but I did keep an eye on him and thought maybe one day. I was pissed the night of then dug deeper and calmed the next morning. Like I said what no one noticed was this guy was climbing fast, really fast. And didn’t get into coaching until 40. I don’t think we realized just how intelligent he is either. We might have a Brad Steven’s situation. I’m trying to wish into existence anyway.

If he doesn’t make it nice or not he’s getting out of that seat. Our last coach convinced a lot of people that “games don’t matter” (wtf) so we dont have a lot of time to retain our position thanks to a half assed approach for 7 years. I can love him and send him outa there at the same time. He knows that though. Yerp, he’ll be gone and the next coach will be asked to have him back on the anniversary dates. But I don’t see it, he’s gonna get it.

Last edited:
I was one of those that said Pope would be a good choice for our next coach. I think he will be a very good coach for UK. HE LOVES UK !

I was one of those that said Pope would be a good choice for our next coach. I think he will be a very good coach for UK. HE LOVES UK !
I made a post on all the boxes that Mark Pope checked for the reason he should be our next coach, and I got HAMMERED on here!

MP gives us our best shot at establishing a successful coaching lineage, and hopefully a dynasty restored.

I made a post on all the boxes that Mark Pope checked for the reason he should be our next coach, and I got HAMMERED on here!

MP gives us our best shot at establishing a successful coaching lineage, and hopefully a dynasty restored.
I will be happy if he just makes us a stronger contender. I will be very happy if he restores pride in the program. I will be ecstatic if his teams get us back in the FF.

Reactions: cathouse
I will be happy if he just makes us a stronger contender. I will be very happy if he restores pride in the program. I will be ecstatic if his teams get us back in the FF.
I am already happy.
Happy that MP is our coach. And very happy the other guy isn't our coach any more.

That's Happy, Happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT