ADVERTISEMENT

Pope recruiting

We really need to stop being concerned with getting a top recruiting class. Those days left with Calipari and are never coming back and I'm okay with that. I don't judge a year by how good of a recruiting class we get or how many go to the NBA afterwards. I judge the program based on how well the team plays in March. That is the only metric that has significant value to me and I am cautiously optimistic that Pope will be able to deliver.
I agree with this cat.
No more stressing about recruiting rankings, NBA draft stock, and all that business.
Pope gets it.
I can feel good about having a guy that cares about our beloved program and understands what it’s about now rather than worry if we can out-talent other opponents because we all know the previous regime couldn’t coach their way of a paper bag, whether or not they tried.
Too many promises and agendas for the past decade +

I think the last 2 commitments are more a product of Pope and his staff’s hard work than geography. Our coach has been putting in the work since he arrived in Lexington.
Absolutely. He made inroads traveling abroad to keep up with several guys including Jasper Johnson. If we can land Mullins, and Cenac or Yessoufou then we'll be shaping up nicely.

I know A LOT of people didn't think Pope could recruit to UK standards. I read it in a bunch of threads when he got hired. I'm just saying this was a big get for us no matter how you spin it. Pope just beat out Oats and UNC for a recruit another Blueblood and one of the hottest teams Bama and coaches Oats in college basketball who had been on JJ much longer.

I'm just proud our coach was only here 6 months and landed a full team and then 2 five stars already fo next year and is in the mix for multiple high skilled players in HS and portal. I think he's going to crush it here with the brand and resources he will get at UK opposed to a BYU. Anyway I was never worried about Pope getting talent here and he just proved he can beat a Blueblood and hot team and coach for a national recruit.

We've only had one coach at UK who could not recruit.
Billy G was too drunk or lazy or whatever.

Cal had too much success. Cost him/us in the end.

I believe Coach P can and will use his passion, UK's rep, the NIL + Portal to take us where we ain't been lately.
Tubby was not exactly a stellar recruiter.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
He wasnt recruiting them to Arkansas. He is after others. He will mostly like take three maybe 4 freshmen.
Pope beats out Cal for Wilson, Thomas or Cenac you will be correct. But not Moreno or Johnson.

So Cal didn't want the #11 overall recruit and top center recruit in the nation? I'm pretty sure had they picked Arky he would not have said no thanks Moreno I'm liking the 4 th best center and no Jasper I like the 29 th ranked guard better...???

Reactions: chroix
And I'm not even saying I need those recruits, or anything more right now, from Pope. I'm really not worried. It was more just to pump the brakes a BIT on Pope being a masterful recruiter just yet. I think he'll get there, so again, not really concerned.

I look at it this way.. say Kansas gets a new coach in 3 years, and he lands two top30 Kansas kids.. We'd all say the same thing, right?

No, no one would say that about Kansas.

Not sure why anyone would say he is close to a masterful recruiter though. Long way to go and a lot to prove on the court.

We don't need a masterful recruiter to win though. If you aren't a drunk you are gonna win a title at UK and we have 50 years of coaching evidence post Rupp to verify that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT