ADVERTISEMENT

Pope or Calipari. A poll

Pope or Calipari

• Pope

Votes: 203 51.4%
  • Calipari

Votes: 192 48.6%

• Total voters
Pope better have a better roster and better results in 2024-25. That's going to be his EXPECTATION, minimum. Beat Calipari consistently.

Reactions: Farsight
I was an advocate to eat Cals buyout a year ago and make a Pope hire for cheap and bring in some UK assistants like Vogel/Rondo. I think he can win.

Buttttt….once the buyout was no longer an option I just think we jumped to gun straight to Pope of reports are true we didn’t have a serious convo w Billy D and we never spoke to Pearl. Comes off like Mitch held a grudge w Billy D

Every fan that ever wanted cal out should run and hide
Period
Never comment again actually
It was time for Cal to go.

It was not time for Mitch to hire a Kentucky homer after missing on 2 dream candidates.

He could have hired Lloyd, Pearl, Beard, Wade, etc.

There were a dozen coaches that would’ve taken the job that I’d put ahead of Pope. An average coach at BYU with 0 NCAAT wins and a so so winning %

Pope better have a better roster and better results in 2024-25. That's going to be his EXPECTATION, minimum. Beat Calipari consistently.
The good news is that we will be able to get a new coach in two years and a new AD.

The Mitch Era will finally end. He's the worst and I hope BBN treats him like garbage everywhere he goes in public. He deserves constant rebuke and scorn for this move.

Who in the world would chose Mark Pope over Calipari right now to coach UK? That’s just delusional, IMO. Mitch struck out with his buddy and immediately resigned UK to a Tier 3 candidate with no success or experience coaching in a major conference. It’s just an inexcusable hire. And it’s not because Pope doesn’t have potential, but he is 5 years away from being fit to be head coach at UK. At this point, he’s qualified to be a UK assistant and coach in waiting, not head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Make no mistake. We ran Cal off for this. I was ready for cal to move on too but I assumed we could make a competent hire.
If Mitch had gone after all the other guys we could have.. you'd have a point. but this only shows one thing, we need to unite and run Mitch off by any means (other than violence )

Reactions: wfc7
Who in the world would chose Mark Pope over Calipari right now to coach UK? That’s just delusional, IMO. Mitch struck out with his buddy and immediately resigned UK to a Tier 3 candidate with no success or experience coaching in a major conference. It’s just an inexcusable hire. And it’s not because Pope doesn’t have potential, but he is 5 years away from being fit to be head coach at UK. At this point, he’s qualified to be a UK assistant and coach in waiting, not head coach.
Because at UK Cal was done... boosters didnt want to help him at all........Mitch wouldnt do anything for him..... and Cal was 63% winning percentage. Cal was cooked here. Us smart ones know that at least with Pope, the refs dont hate him, the NCAA doesnt hate him.. and he'll coach for the name kentucky, not players getting drafted. I at least have hope again with Pope. 0% hope with Cal... at least 20% hope with Pope.. I'll give Pope 2 years and root hard for him.. I wouldnt have given Cal 5 minutes more.

Reactions: KFuqua and Lazlo7
Give me the guy who bleeds blue and cares about the program.. Let’s rally and give him our all and help him be successful. Calipari absolutely sucked the last 6, allow this to play out.
Agree. Let’s embrace Pope and give the guy a chance. He’s extremely smart and he now has UK behind him. He bleeds Blue and I’m excited.

He is UK through and through. He runs a modern offense built around shooting and creative sets (think McDermott/Hurley). He’s won fewer than 20 games just once in the last seven seasons despite never being at a top-two job in the league he us in and just finished with the same record as Kansas in his first season in the Big 12. He has immediate playing time at a big time school.. looking forward to seeing him crush it here.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT