ADVERTISEMENT

Pope Father -Daughter Camp

studentcat

Blue Chip Prospect
May 5, 2003
Is anyone else going to the Pope Father - Daughter camp this weekend? My wife got this for me for Father’s Day, and I’m pumped! I’ve never done a UK camp and wondering what to expect. I’m in decent shape, but hoping it’s not too rigorous as I have not played a true basketball game in a couple years. Any insight is appreciated , my daughter is 7 so no expectations there haha

Is anyone else going to the Pope Father - Daughter camp this weekend? My wife got this for me for Father’s Day, and I’m pumped! I’ve never done a UK camp and wondering what to expect. I’m in decent shape, but hoping it’s not too rigorous as I have not played a true basketball game in a couple years. Any insight is appreciated , my daughter is 7 so no expectations there haha
My daughter just turned 27, and the day they started advertising this camp she sent me a picture of the ad and asked "Are we too old?" :)

If it is anything like Cal's camps it will not be rigorous at all. My guess is it will be similar. Camp will be run by same group.

You mostly have high school gym teachers, grad assistants, staff of team running the drills and games.

You'll get a meet and greet, signing with players and hopefully staff. Though they didn't have option to buy pic with Pope like they did Cal...may mean it is free and Pope doesn't want to charge or that he isn't taking pics.

Other than that ...tour JCC and offices...Cal's office was amazing tbh. It was like a museum.

Great time, not downplaying it...you will love it. It is mostly games with your kid and other children and dads.

It is funny though...I've told this countless times on board but I did Pitino father son with my Dad the summer after Laettner shot....it was ultra competitive. I remember it...my coach for team was Herb Sendek. Had 5 on 5, 2 on 2, ran campus. Played on Memorial and Blue Courts. Watched replay of Duke game. Totally different. My dad sprained both ankles...mildly, but still.

Coolest experience I had at Cal camp was 2 years ago...got to watch full practice for 2 hours. It was Cason Wallace year.

We will be there Friday for Father/Son. Have a 1995 Pope Apex jersey to get signed and then framed, fingers crossed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
If it is anything like Cal's camps it will not be rigorous at all. My guess is it will be similar. Camp will be run by same group.

You mostly have high school gym teachers, grad assistants, staff of team running the drills and games.

You'll get a meet and greet, signing with players and hopefully staff. Though they didn't have option to buy pic with Pope like they did Cal...may mean it is free and Pope doesn't want to charge or that he isn't taking pics.

Other than that ...tour JCC and offices...Cal's office was amazing tbh. It was like a museum.

Great time, not downplaying it...you will love it. It is mostly games with your kid and other children and dads.

It is funny though...I've told this countless times on board but I did Pitino father son with my Dad the summer after Laettner shot....it was ultra competitive. I remember it...my coach for team was Herb Sendek. Had 5 on 5, 2 on 2, ran campus. Played on Memorial and Blue Courts. Watched replay of Duke game. Totally different. My dad sprained both ankles...mildly, but still.

Coolest experience I had at Cal camp was 2 years ago...got to watch full practice for 2 hours. It was Cason Wallace year.

We will be there Friday for Father/Son. Have a 1995 Pope Apex jersey to get signed and then framed, fingers crossed.

Enjoy!
Herb Sender was my coach at Pitino's camp as well. I went two yrs in a row to the regular camp.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I have a 2 year old. Would love to hear feedback on this for me to plan for the future.
Youngest they have allowed in past is 6. It is a little harder for the smallest kids (in general- always a ringer or two) because there are no youth balls and they don't lower the goals to where a 6 year old generally plays (8-9 ft). I actually think minimum age is 7 now....probably because they got the feedback I just mentioned.

That would be my only feedback for parents with very young campers. I was there with both of my age eligible boys at 6-7 though....still was fun. Most kids aren't slinging the ball up to a 10 foot rim consistently until they are closer to 8 though. Heck I had kids on youth team last year in 2nd grade that could barely hit net on 9 foot rim...then you have a few that can shoot 3's on a 10 foot rim. Kids generally make a pretty big jump in strength at about 8-9. I know my kid that is going with me Friday (8.5 y/o) couldn't make a shot past foul line on 10 foot 6 months ago. Now he can make a three pointer occasionally and get the ball to rim 8/10 times.

For the father daughter I'd be shocked if they don't provide a women's ball at least and most girls are bigger than boys at that age anyhow.

Last edited:
Youngest they have allowed in past is 6. It is a little harder for the smallest kids (in general- always a ringer or two) because there are no youth balls and they don't lower the goals to where a 6 year old generally plays (8-9 ft). I actually think minimum age is 7 now....probably because they got the feedback I just mentioned.

That would be my only feedback for parents with very young campers. I was there with both of my age eligible eboys at 6-7 though....still was fun. Most kids aren't slinging the ball up to a 10 foot rim consistently until they are closer to 8 though. Heck I had kids on youth team last year in 2nd grade that could barely hit net on 9 foot rim...then you have a few that can shoot 3's on a 10 foot rim. Kids generally make a pretty big jump in strength at about 8-9. I know my kid that is going with me Friday (8.5 y/o) couldn't make a shot past foul line on 10 foot 6 months ago. Now he can make a three pointer occasionally and get the ball to rim 8/10 times.

For the father daughter I'd be shocked if they don't provide a women's ball at least and most girls are bigger than boys at that age anyhow.

Yeah that's why I'm planning for the future. Wasn't sure what age it started to be more appropriate but I assumed at least 5. Gives me something to look forward to. Honest to god, some of her first words were "Go Blue" anytime she sees any sporting event on TV regardless of nba, NFL, or college because she associates it with Kentucky. She's on the right path!

Just go be a great "dad" and make sure the camp is all about your daughter.

She will cherish that memory forever. Have fun and don't be blocking 10 year old girl's shots at the rim. Lol.

Sure wish my daughter was still young enough to attend.

Don't blink.

Agree my man...it goes so fast. Our oldest will be 12 in December and I seriously cannot believe it. Fortunately, and I mean it this way, we have 3 others to enjoy too. Youngest is only 2 y/o (only girl).

My perspective on things has hit a whole other level since about April for whatever reason. Feel like a different person. Really trying to cherish this time of late. Kids are such a blessing even when they drive you nuts. I'm being intentional and trying to be in the moment....always now.

Agree my man...it goes so fast. Our oldest will be 12 in December and I seriously cannot believe it. Fortunately, and I mean it this way, we have 3 others to enjoy too. Youngest is only 2 y/o (only girl).

My perspective on things has hit a whole other level since about April for whatever reason. Feel like a different person. Really trying to cherish this time of late. Kids are such a blessing even when they drive you nuts. I'm being intentional and trying to be in the moment....always now.
Good for you. You will never regret spending time with your kids. Childhood doesn't last long and it is the BEST time of your life and theirs.

Just go be a great "dad" and make sure the camp is all about your daughter.

She will cherish that memory forever. Have fun and don't be blocking 10 year old girl's shots at the rim. Lol.

Sure wish my daughter was still young enough to attend.

Don't blink.
You are about to make me cry brother…..thanks man, I know she and I will remember it forever. I grew up in a home that was full of love, but not much money. I’m very fortunate to get to do this. Thanks for being real my friend.

• Love
Reactions: cathouse
You are about to make me cry brother…..thanks man, I know she and I will remember it forever. I grew up in a home that was full of love, but not much money. I’m very fortunate to get to do this. Thanks for being real my friend.
I grew up in a home that was full of love with NO money.
I now realize how much it must have hurt my Mom and Dad to not be able to afford things like this that we really wanted to do as kids.

You are blessed in so many ways. Don't take that for granted.

Have fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT