ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: How Many 5-Stars will Pope sign each year ??

How many 5-star, one-and-done, recruits will Pope typically recruit each year ??

Votes: 21 11.2%

Votes: 56 29.8%

Votes: 87 46.3%

Votes: 15 8.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted 1. But my guess is a average of 1.5 per season. 3 on average every 2 seasons. Sounds about right. Even with portal should have at least a couple player return on average each year. They will likely be several transfers added each season.

Reactions: ImTheVillageIdiot
Ideally you have 5-6 players return every year . One at each position . You add 4-5 freshman , this would give us 75% make of the team that we had a Kentucky for more than one year for continuity purpose. Remaining 25%, 2-3 players from transfer portal for certain positions where we need quality or experience.
2024-25 we have so far 3 freshman. We have 2 other multi years players: Oweh and Garrison. From the 5 let’s say we got 4 back next year. As Covid extra year will go away, the pool of transfer players would decrease by 20% .

2025-26 : I would assume that next year you as 2025 class is deep , we would get a higher number of freshman maybe 7-8 2 one and done and rest 5-6 players that would potentially return.

Reactions: RunninRichie
5 star recruits aren't typically the value like they were 10 years ago. There's 2 or 3 maybe in each class that can make a big impact as freshmen. The rest think they can but don't, and bolt after 1 year. Seems like the sweet spot is an impact 5 star, 2-4 four stars and fill the rest in with older transfer guys.
Give me a 3 star with 2 years experience over a 5 star foot out of the door recruit

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
He will recruit them, but probably won’t get them. He has zero NBA success stories and these kids don’t even know who he is.

Just another reason this program is slowly becoming Indiana. We’re now lowering expectations with the talent doesn’t matter line.

I like Coach Pope's strategy so far. I think he'll go for one or two per year. The thing about Pope is that he has something that a lot of coaches don't have...that is CHARISMA!!!! I like it!!! His enthusiasm is contagious!!

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙
Damn ... I was hoping he could coach.

• Haha
Reactions: susan2361
92 and 93 had one. The same one. 98 had one or zero true 5 star players. Anything may happen but I really am not too worried. We'll get some by accident. Pope is dope. He's got this.

You are quoting ancient history 30 plus years ago. Game has changed immensely since then.

I'll say he will try to sign 1 to 2 each year. It remains to be seen if the top players want to come. Pope has to do well and attract them by year 1s results. The massive NIL fund helps though, as it has with the transfer guys.

Give me a 3 star with 2 years experience over a 5 star foot out of the door recruit
Not to argue, at all, but only to provide 3-star perspective … in his fifteen (15) years here, Calipari only signed four (4) 3-star players:
Willis
Hawkins
Thiero
Hart

There are isolated situations, where a 3-star can stick and be a contributor on a very good team, but I suspect the odds are not promising. Recruiting needs to be a real art-form when trying to find those overlooked kids that can significantly contribute to a highly-successful team … that advances deep in March.

Sounds like Tubby ball, how did that work out?
Better than Cal, how many losing seasons did Tubby have? How many NIT's? How many times Tubby miss tournament? How many first round losses did Tubby have as a high seed? Sounds like Cal is the worst coach in UK history.

Not to argue, at all, but only to provide 3-star perspective … in his fifteen (15) years here, Calipari only signed four (4) 3-star players:
Willis
Hawkins
Thiero
Hart

There are isolated situations, where a 3-star can stick and be a contributor on a very good team, but I suspect the odds are not promising. Recruiting needs to be a real art-form when trying to find those overlooked kids that can significantly contribute to a highly-successful team … that advances deep in March.
I am talking about 3 stars we get through portal that have proven themselves at other schools.

I am talking about 3 stars we get through portal that have proven themselves at other schools.
Gotcha. I understand.

Does that mean you would rather have Thiero, with 2 years of known experience, over a high-level 5-star ?? I really like Thiero, but that would be a tough call for me. I think each situation is unique, but I wound be inclined to take Thiero.

You are quoting ancient history 30 plus years ago. Game has changed immensely since then.

I'll say he will try to sign 1 to 2 each year. It remains to be seen if the top players want to come. Pope has to do well and attract them by year 1s results. The massive NIL fund helps though, as it has with the transfer guys.
Yeah,I guess I'm just old. Oh well.

Better than Cal, how many losing seasons did Tubby have? How many NIT's? How many times Tubby miss tournament? How many first round losses did Tubby have as a high seed? Sounds like Cal is the worst coach in UK history.

Tubby also didn't sniff another national title chance or even make another final four.

Cals worse seasons were worse than Tubbys but his best seasons beat the dog crap out of tubby best and its not even close.

Ultimately, tubby added 1 title and 1 final four and cal added 1 title and 4 final fours. UK fans brag about titles and then final fours. Not mich else matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT