ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: A NCAA bailout for schools with budget problems in their athletic depts due to virus?

Should the NCAA create a Stimulus plan for schools suffering budget problems due to the Virus

• Yes

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters
They say you have to this and that, but you have to come up with the money on your own.
I don't think you would care for someone doing that to yoiu.

The smaller schools get much lesss of the NCAA money than the P5 schools.

If you don't like the idea, fine. Enough.
We are on different sides of this. I appreciate a civil debate without name calling.

Your gonna have to go clueless then.
You are the one who seems clueless. You start the thread talking about should the NCAA bail out athletic departments and then start talking about coaches salaries, which is not controlled by the NCAA and has absolutely nothing to do with the NCAA. Am I getting on your nerves?

The NCAA should have the money.

Ten years ago, I read that the NCAA got 98 percent of it’s funding from the Men’s basketball tourney.

I have never heard if they got a cut of revenue from the college playoffs, but with the cancellation of the NCAA tourney, I’m not as certain as you are that the NCAA has much money to distribute.

UKVisitor, having now read the whole thread, I see the source of the confusion: you actually think/thought “The NCAA” had some control of the massive (half-trillion??) dollar industry that is college sports.

Eighty percent (or more) of the value of the whole industry, from P5 down to Centre and Hanover is created from football. And that money/those rights were never held by or controlled by the NCAA, which has had to rely upon sponsoring a men’s basketball tourney since 1938 for the vast majority of it’s income.

And that’s not all bad: since the 60’s, the revenue from March Madness (right down to the NCAA owned copyright of the phrase “March Madness”) has had it’s own little boom . . . but that boom is the equivalent of maybe 5/10 percent of the growth and the massive windfall going to conferences and Universities for football televised rights, since the 60’s.

Ninety percent of the big money you are talking about has never, and will never be in the coffers of “The NCAA” to distribute. Instead, the big boy schools, the annual Top 25 we see every year in financial rankings, led by Texas and then predominantly by SEC schools, all throwing around budgets at or near $200,000,000.00 a year, are the holders of the money you think the NCAA possesses.

I think the Big Boys, led by voluntary 1 or 2 year reductions in coaches salaries, and by potential windfalls to the P5 by increased TV revenue from conference only games (again, football revenue) should be used to help FCS and G5 survival,

But “The NCAA” can not cause it, they can not stop it, and they certainly can not fund it, given the loss of their only real source of revenue in March/April from the cancellation of the tourney.

I’ve always loved your posts, but you have much the same view of the collegiate sports world as do most “basketball” first fans. Basketball and the NCAA’s profits from it, in totality, are a paltry portion of the revenue stream TO ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

Football is the money king: the NCAA does not get a cut, and that is a very good thing for UK.

Had your poll asked “Should the Top 25 P5 NCAA Schools Bailout FCS and G5 Programs” I would have voted “yes.” They actually have some money to do it. And ironically, these P5 schools might find greater profit with more titanic inter-conference matchups and the televised rights to them because of Covid.

UKVisitor, having now read the whole thread, I see the source of the confusion: you actually think/thought “The NCAA” had some control of the massive (half-trillion??) dollar industry that is college sports.

Eighty percent (or more) of the value of the whole industry, from P5 down to Centre and Hanover is created from football. And that money/those rights were never held by or controlled by the NCAA, which has had to rely upon sponsoring a men’s basketball tourney since 1938 for the vast majority of it’s income.

And that’s not all bad: since the 60’s, the revenue from March Madness (right down to the NCAA owned copyright of the phrase “March Madness”) has had it’s own little boom . . . but that boom is the equivalent of maybe 5/10 percent of the growth and the massive windfall going to conferences and Universities for football televised rights, since the 60’s.

Ninety percent of the big money you are talking about has never, and will never be in the coffers of “The NCAA” to distribute. Instead, the big boy schools, the annual Top 25 we see every year in financial rankings, led by Texas and then predominantly by SEC schools, all throwing around budgets at or near $200,000,000.00 a year, are the holders of the money you think the NCAA possesses.

I think the Big Boys, led by voluntary 1 or 2 year reductions in coaches salaries, and by potential windfalls to the P5 by increased TV revenue from conference only games (again, football revenue) should be used to help FCS and G5 survival,

But “The NCAA” can not cause it, they can not stop it, and they certainly can not fund it, given the loss of their only real source of revenue in March/April from the cancellation of the tourney.

I’ve always loved your posts, but you have much the same view of the collegiate sports world as do most “basketball” first fans. Basketball and the NCAA’s profits from it, in totality, are a paltry portion of the revenue stream TO ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

Football is the money king: the NCAA does not get a cut, and that is a very good thing for UK.

Had your poll asked “Should the Top 25 P5 NCAA Schools Bailout FCS and G5 Programs” I would have voted “yes.” They actually have some money to do it. And ironically, these P5 schools might find greater profit with more titanic inter-conference matchups and the televised rights to them because of Covid.

Thanks for yoiur comment. Like I said, it was my 1st poll. I should have thought a little more on my question and focused on the finer points.
I have seen other polls with less thought.
I did post "I should have included the FBS in the poll question."

So, I am not tuned in to where the money goes,
but somebody ought to give up some to help the smaller schools through these tough financial times. The smaller schools don't have the funds to follow the recent NCAA guidelines
That was the theme to the poll.

Also, I would rather watch a UK football game over any UK BB game.

Last edited:
but somebody ought to give up some to help the smaller schools through these tough financial times.

Agreed. I just posted a thread with some disjointed ideas under “Whoaa Nellie.” None will come to fruition, but I got a lot off my chest!

Also, I would rather watch a UK football game over any UK BB game.

Sorry for the slight, as you are my brother-by-a-different-mother!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT