ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: A NCAA bailout for schools with budget problems in their athletic depts due to virus?

Should the NCAA create a Stimulus plan for schools suffering budget problems due to the Virus

• Yes

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters
I mean, my gut is no. But is this hypothetical for the university, or for their athletic departments? Thats the first question.
Only for their athletics depts. Like I said, my 1st poll. I will focus more with my questions in polls in the future.
Edit: changed the title. Better?

What is your 2nd question?

Last edited:
They already put about $600 million into colleges and conferences. There are over 1,100 athletic departments out there, 99% of which use university and/or state funding to run their athletic department. Many universities would use this money for things outside of athletics. Would be a mess.

They already put about $600 million into colleges and conferences. There are over 1,100 athletic departments out there, 99% of which use university and/or state funding to run their athletic department. Many universities would use this money for things outside of athletics. Would be a mess.
But we see news of amateur athletics being cut during this virus. What is going on?

I vote yes only if it is for teams who struggle to get by.. That it should be used for FB, or BB only if possible.. If it is being used to support other thing's that has nothing to do with athletics I say no way..

GBB

But we see news of amateur athletics being cut during this virus. What is going on?
Universities are losing millions of dollars and they need to save millions of dollars. A logical place for that money to be cut from is athletics.

Reactions: UKvisitor
But if the NCAA could bailout the athletics, that would help. Is that a wrong thought?
I’m telling you that colleges would use that money elsewhere. I worked in college athletics for 8 years and have since worked in higher ed for an additional 12. I’ve seen it far too many times

Reactions: EliteBlue
I’m telling you that colleges would use that money elsewhere. I worked in college athletics for 8 years and have since worked in higher ed for an additional 12. I’ve seen it far too many times
The NCAA could direct the funds. It is not that hard.
#SAVETHESMALLSCHOOLS

Where are they gonna get the money from?
The NCAA is the member schools... So they're bailing themselves out? How would this work?

Although I dont want the folks who play the "lesser" sports to get screwed over in all this, if anything with this wild ass wholly untenable idea, Id rather such a bailout go to those programs since they represent the ideas about being an actual student athlete many of us go on about.

As mentioned above, the NCAA is all the member institutions. Yes, some of the profits go to the overseeing body, but the vast majority get distributed amongst the member schools. So Im not even sure where this windfall is supposed to come from.

The reality is the sports bubble is bursting and the house of cards all this is built upon is being exposed. Im frankly for a lot of tough choices being made and alot of the fat being trimmed.

And we need to be honest even if it isnt PC or popular in 2020. Title IX has created financial problems via its mandates. IMO programs that can sustain themselves by profit or break even, have at it. Other sports, and yes, there is a litany of mens programs that are a drain too, need to find a way to be club sports and self finance.

The opportunity needs to exist for these other sports to function but mandating they exist simply "to be fair" while they are a total money pit is just irresponsible. I realize that doesnt address facilities and all that and no I dont have the answers, but I guess Im just saying if entire athletic departments cant even go a single fiscal year without their football teams playing 12 games, maybe, just maybe we need to change the business model.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The NCAA lost the basketball tournament last year. That is most of their revenue for the year. They don't make any money off football, the conferences do.

Where did the money go?
For years we have read headlines about the billions the NCAA got.
Strip clubs ands champagne baths?
I think you need to better realize how the NCAA works:

1. Less than $100 million stays with the NCAA for their operations, marketing, legalX etc.
2. $222 million goes to universities for scholarship funds and sports sponsorship
3. $169 million goes to schools for performance in the NCAA basketball tournament.
4. $154 million goes to schools for all other NCAA championships
5. $87 million goes to support student athlete needs
6. $65 million goes to NCAA championship support
7. $49 million goes towards academics
8. $54 million goes to conferences that have D1 basketball
9. $53 million goes to Division II to fund championships and grants
10. $23 million goes to member support
11. $35 million goes to Division III To fund championships and grants
12. $10 million goes to D1conference grants
13. $4 million goes to education

Tell is where we should take all of this money from to support the 1100 athletic departments even more.

I think you need to better realize how the NCAA works:

1. Less than $100 million stays with the NCAA for their operations, marketing, legalX etc.
2. $222 million goes to universities for scholarship funds and sports sponsorship
3. $169 million goes to schools for performance in the NCAA basketball tournament.
4. $154 million goes to schools for all other NCAA championships
5. $87 million goes to support student athlete needs
6. $65 million goes to NCAA championship support
7. $49 million goes towards academics
8. $54 million goes to conferences that have D1 basketball
9. $53 million goes to Division II to fund championships and grants
10. $23 million goes to member support
11. $35 million goes to Division III To fund championships and grants
12. $10 million goes to D1conference grants
13. $4 million goes to education

Tell is where we should take all of this money from to support the 1100 athletic departments even more.
13 places to look for money to Support real amateurism.
American greed at it's best.

SEC coaches YEARLY money
CoachSchoolTotal PayNational Rank
Nick SabanAlabama$8,857,000#2
Jimbo FisherTexas A&M$7,500,000#4
Kirby SmartGeorgia$6,871,600#6
Gus MalzahnAuburn$6,827,589#7
Dan MullenFlorida$6,070,000#10
Mark StoopsKentucky$4,763,600#19
Will MuschampSouth Carolina$4,400,000#23
Chad MorrisArkansas$4,000,000#28
Ed OrgeronLSU$4,000,000#28
Jeremy PruittTennessee$3,846,000#32
Derek MasonVanderbilt$3,368,244#40
Matt LukeOle Miss$3,100,000#45
Barry OdomMissouri$3,050,000#47
Joe MoorheadMississippi State$3,050,000#48

Big 10: Here's how all Big Ten football coach salaries stack up in 2019:

1. Michigan, Jim Harbaugh: $7,504,000 (Buyout: $11,687,500)
  2. Purdue, Jeff Brohm: $6,600,000 (Buyout: $27,650,000)
  3. Penn State, James Franklin: $5,650,000 (Buyout: $16,495,833)
  4. Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald: $5,144,937 (No buyout listed)
  5. Nebraska, Scott Frost: $5,000,000 (Buyout: $20,416,667)
  6. Iowa, Kirk Ferentz: $4,800,000 (Buyout: $21,571,250)
  7. Ohio State, Ryan Day: $4,500,000 (Buyout: $18,750,000)
  8. Michigan State, Mark Dantonio: $4,399,437 (Buyout: $7,000,000)
  9. Wisconsin, Paul Chryst: $4,150,000 (Buyout: $14,993,055)
  10. Illinois, Lovie Smith: $4,000,000 (Buyout: $4,681,818)
  11. Minnesota, P.J. Fleck: $3,600,000 (Buyout: $9,291,667)
  12. Maryland, Mike Locksley: $2,500,000 (Buyout: $7,502,084)
  13. Rutgers, Chris Ash: $2,300,000 (Dismissed this season)
  14. Indiana, Tom Allen: $1,805,000 (Buyout: $1,500,000
    Below are the highest-paid Power Five coaches, per conference:
    • ACC — Swinney, $9.32 million
    • Big 12 — Texas’ Tom Herman, $6.75 million
    • Big Ten — Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, $7.5 million
    • Pac-12 — Washington’s Chris Petersen, $4.63 million
    • SEC — Saban, $8.86 million
    Conversely, these are the lowest-paid Power Five coaches for each league:
    • ACC — Wake Forest’s Dave Clawson, $2.19 million
    • Big 12 — Kansas State’s Chris Klieman, $2.3 million
    • Big Ten — Indiana’s Tom Allen, $1.8 million
    • Pac-12 — Arizona’s Kevin Sumlin, $2 million
    • SEC — Mississippi State’s Joe Moorhead, $3 million

Last edited:
SEC coaches YEARLY money
CoachSchoolTotal PayNational Rank
Nick SabanAlabama$8,857,000#2
Jimbo FisherTexas A&M$7,500,000#4
Kirby SmartGeorgia$6,871,600#6
Gus MalzahnAuburn$6,827,589#7
Dan MullenFlorida$6,070,000#10
Mark StoopsKentucky$4,763,600#19
Will MuschampSouth Carolina$4,400,000#23
Chad MorrisArkansas$4,000,000#28
Ed OrgeronLSU$4,000,000#28
Jeremy PruittTennessee$3,846,000#32
Derek MasonVanderbilt$3,368,244#40
Matt LukeOle Miss$3,100,000#45
Barry OdomMissouri$3,050,000#47
Joe MoorheadMississippi State$3,050,000#48
What does that have to do with anything we are discussing?

That’s up to each individual athletic department. That has zero to do with the NCAA.
Thats because the FBS decided they wanted ot hold on to the big bucks and left the NCAA out of the college football golden goose.
But the NCAA still controls the golden goose of the college basketball game.

Where did the money go?
For years we have read headlines about the billions the NCAA got.
Strip clubs ands champagne baths?
Where have we read that the NCAA has billions of dollars? You will have to show me that. I doubt very seriously if the NCAA has the kind of money it would take to bail out the hundreds of athletic programs that may be sucking wind at the moment.

Where have we read that the NCAA has billions of dollars? You will have to show me that. I doubt very seriously if the NCAA has the kind of money it would take to bail out the hundreds of athletic programs that may be sucking wind at the moment.
Emmert has some of it with his ridiculous salary.
If we look, I bet one could find others with un amateurism salaries within the NCAA.

You really want the smaller schools to loose their football programs because of the virus?
That is a rhetorical question. The powers that hold the money should figure out away to save them. JMO.

Thats because the FBS decided they wanted ot hold on to the big bucks and left the NCAA out of the college football golden goose.
But the NCAA still controls the golden goose of the college basketball game.
And a majority of that money goes back to colleges and universities. I’m still trying to figure out what your point is. You start a thread saying the NCAA should use money to bail out college athletics. I show you that they already put a majority of their money back into colleges and universities. Then you start talking about crazy coaching salaries, which has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Then you start talking about crazy coaching salaries, which has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Yes they do. They don't control the playoffs. Schools still get put on probation for violating NCAA rules in CFB.
As for my crazy comment about football salaries, they are crazy in themselves.

Yes they do. They don't control the playoffs. Schools still get put on probation for violating NCAA rules in CFB.

the NCAA is a non profit. They have as much money in the checking account as they made this year, which isn’t much.

I agree they are. What does that have to do with the NCAA giving bailout money to colleges and universities?

I agree they are. What does that have to do with the NCAA giving bailout money to colleges and universities?
Because the are cutting other sports already and if something doesn't happen, smaller schools football teams will be affected.
Lots of kids at smaller schools deserve to play college football. I don't want to see that happen.
It was just question I wondered how others felt. I know now.

Because the are cutting other sports already and if something doesn't happen, smaller schools football teams will be affected.
Lots of kids at smaller schools deserve to play college football. I don't want to see that happen.
It was just question I wondered how others felt. I know now.
I have degrees from Bowling Green and Ball State. I currently work at Loyola University Maryland. Honestly, I’m not too concerned about their sports programs. I’m more concerned about the status of the schools themselves and how viable they will be.

I get the original question. I just don’t understand how the way a university spends its money has anything to do with the NCAA bailing them out.

Ok. So an organization that is made up of member institutions is setting guidelines for those member institutions to compete. What does that have to do with them providing bailout money when they already provide over $600 million dollars annually to said member institutions.
They say you have to this and that, but you have to come up with the money on your own.
I don't think you would care for someone doing that to yoiu.

The smaller schools get much lesss of the NCAA money than the P5 schools.

If you don't like the idea, fine. Enough.

Emmert has some of it with his ridiculous salary.
If we look, I bet one could find others with un amateurism salaries within the NCAA.

You really want the smaller schools to loose their football programs because of the virus?
That is a rhetorical question. The powers that hold the money should figure out away to save them. JMO.
Can you define what you mean by the NCAA? I don't see what coaches or AD salaries have to do with the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT