Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Cal players. I saw a list on fb I don’t recall who made it but it had
Wall
Davis
Ulis (surprising)
OT

I love ulis and his game but idk about hanging his jersey in the rafters. My list looks more like this
Wall
Cousins
Knight - you take your team to ff you gotta go up
Randall (because of the run and nba success)
KAT (dominant represents that 2015 team)
WCS? Maybe
Bam
Fox
Murray
Ulis? Maybe probably if he played for tubby he’d be up there
PJ I believe was as good as tayshaun was in college
OT ? Maybe

That’s alot of names but at least one player from each successful team needs to be there. Then you have to look at the lesser teams and guys like Murray and OT are names fans will want to see up there. I think nba success should be a factor since this defines Cals era so I wouldn’t be opposed to adding booker and shai.

I know 16 players but these potentially are 16 of the top 50 players ever at UK. And just because the time period is short all that talent we’ve had needs to be recongnized in a big way.

Reactions: ConRay9
Wall
Davis
Ulis (surprising)
OT

I love ulis and his game but idk about hanging his jersey in the rafters. My list looks more like this
Wall
Cousins
WCS? Maybe
Bam
Fox
Murray
OT ? Maybe

That’s alot of names but at least one player from each successful team needs to be there. Then you have to look at the lesser teams and guys like Murray and OT are names fans will want to see up there. I think nba success should be a factor since this defines Cals era so I wouldn’t be opposed to adding booker and shai.

I know 16 players but these potentially are 16 of the top 50 players ever at UK. And just because the time period is short all that talent we’ve had needs to be recongnized in a big way.
All Tyler ever did was be a part of the 38-1 team as a Freshman and as a Sophomore be a Consensus All American , First Team All SEC and SEC Defensive Player of the Year . Besides AD , who else has done this ??

The OP’s criteria must be whack.
PJ as good as Prince 😂
WCS, I loved him but 🤣
How can you be Unsure on Ulis 😳
A Final 4 getting Knight, not an AA there 😂
Cousins 😂🤣, based on what?

Wall
Davis
Ulis (surprising)
OT

Wall
Cousins
WCS? Maybe
Bam
Fox
Murray
OT ? Maybe

Some of these names people throw out are kind of funny. Here is my list:

No Doubters
Prince - 2-time all american, SEC POY, Olympic gold medalist, 8th all time in scoring
AD - won every award known to man
Oscar - only unanimous NPOY in UK history. 2 time all american
Wall - NPOY, 1st team all american, SEC POY

Next in line and should get in
Bogans - all american, SEC POY, 4th all time in scoring
Turpin - 2-time all american, 3-time all SEC, 16th in points, 2nd in blocked shots
Ulis - Consensus 1st team all american, SEC POY, SEC DPOY

I`m a lot different than most on this issue. I believe players should be on the wall for what they did at Kentucky, not because of their NBA success. Soooooo most one and done players wouldn`t qualify for me. Davis would be one that does qualify, because his block against NC helped win the title in 2012 to go along with what he did all season.

All Tyler ever did was be a part of the 38-1 team as a Freshman and as a Sophomore be a Consensus All American , First Team All SEC and SEC Defensive Player of the Year . Besides AD , who else has done this ??
KAT led that 38-1 team. He shouldn’t be up there?
Brandon knight leads his team to ff no?
John wall and cousins don’t belong up there after getting Kentucky back to the elite 8 after several challenging years?

Here’s the thing. There is a disproportionate amount of talent at UK in this era and for the first half of Cals tenure that talent was very successful. I also think it’s gonna be impossible to not recognize some of these guys nba success when the time comes.

Some of these names people throw out are kind of funny. Here is my list:

No Doubters
Prince - 2-time all american, SEC POY, Olympic gold medalist, 8th all time in scoring
AD - won every award known to man
Oscar - only unanimous NPOY in UK history. 2 time all american
Wall - NPOY, 1st team all american, SEC POY

Next in line and should get in
Bogans - all american, SEC POY, 4th all time in scoring
Turpin - 2-time all american, 3-time all SEC, 16th in points, 2nd in blocked shots
Ulis - Consensus 1st team all american, SEC POY, SEC DPOY
Agree on Prince, Davis, and Oscar. Wall's legacy is stained by being a one-and-done and losing to WVU.

Bogans, maybe. Turpin would be a nice nod considering his tragic end. I love Ulis, but he doesn't deserve to be in the rafters.

Reactions: KFuqua
KAT led that 38-1 team. He shouldn’t be up there?
Brandon knight leads his team to ff no?
John wall and cousins don’t belong up there after getting Kentucky back to the elite 8 after several challenging years?

Here’s the thing. There is a disproportionate amount of talent at UK in this era and for the first half of Cals tenure that talent was very successful. I also think it’s gonna be impossible to not recognize some of these guys nba success when the time comes.
Knight led his team to a F4. Ok. So what? Andrew led his team to championship game, then returned to lead them to F4.
Wall and Cousins E8 was considered a disappointment! And it had only been 4 season w/out an E8, so not that long. On a team that did not use a platoon, Cousins only played 23.5mpg (not even 60% of the game).
KAT was the most talented player on the 2015 team, but I wouldn't say he led that team. It was a great team because it was a TEAM, a balanced team. KAT was 7th in mpg, 2nd in scoring.

A whole lot of terrible opinions in this post.

The conversation begins with the 3 players that have won National Player of the Year. These are no doubters. If you are good enough to be NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR in college hoops you are good enough to hang in our rafters, weather you are here for 1 year or 10.
-Wall
-AD
-Oscar

Do you deserve to get in just for being an FIRST team AA? If so here are your FIRST team AA that aren't in the rafters:
-WCS 2015
-MKG 2012
-Cousins 2010
-Ulis 2016
-Mercer 1997
-Bob Brannum 1944
-Leroy Edwards 1935

2nd or 3rd team AAs?:
-Quickley 2020
-PJ Washington 2019
-Monk 2017
-Fox 2017
-Murray 2016
-KAT 2015
-Randle 2014
-T Jones 2011
-Meeks 2009
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001, 2002
-Rex 1988
-Turpin 1984

Or maybe if you are SEC POY?
-Quickley 2020
-Monk 2017
-Ulis 2016
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001
-Mercer 1997
-Tom Parker 1972

These are all FACTS. Everything else is subjective. Have at it!

Reactions: AGEE11

The conversation begins with the 3 players that have won National Player of the Year. These are no doubters. If you are good enough to be NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR in college hoops you are good enough to hang in our rafters, weather you are here for 1 year or 10.
-Wall
-AD
-Oscar

Do you deserve to get in just for being an FIRST team AA? If so here are your FIRST team AA that aren't in the rafters:
-WCS 2015
-MKG 2012
-Cousins 2010
-Ulis 2016
-Mercer 1997
-Bob Brannum 1944
-Leroy Edwards 1935

2nd or 3rd team AAs?:
-Quickley 2020
-PJ Washington 2019
-Monk 2017
-Fox 2017
-Murray 2016
-KAT 2015
-Randle 2014
-T Jones 2011
-Meeks 2009
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001, 2002
-Rex 1988
-Turpin 1984

-Quickley 2020
-Monk 2017
-Ulis 2016
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001
-Mercer 1997
-Tom Parker 1972

I am not a fan of copying other teams, but I like that UNCheat has a set criteria for jersey honoring / retirement.

To have his jersey honored, a player must have met one of the following criteria.
MVP of a National Championship winning team
Member of a Gold Medal Winning Olympic Team
First- or second-team All America
ACC Player of the Year
NCAA Tournament MOP

Now that’s to get your jersey honored. To have his jersey retired, a player must win one of the following six widely recognized player of the year awards

Oscar Robertson Trophy, formerly known as the United States Basketball Writers Association National Player of the Year
National Association of Basketball Coaches Player of the Year
Sporting News Player of the Year
John R. Wooden Award
Naismith College Player of the Year

I think you punt the idea of jersey retirement in the idea that no one else can wear that number and use a set list like this to put them in the rafters. No separate distinctions, just a set criteria to get in the Rafters. Maybe eliminate the Gold Medal since that is for NBA players now too.

This would add Wall, AD, and Oscar as NPOYs. Shep as NCAA MOP.

Also the AAs and SEC POYs from @X-Man96 post above

Reactions: bevcat
I don't believe that any of the one and done players should be up there. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I still value the tradition of Kentucky basketball and using UK as a one-year step to the NBA isn't rafter worthy to me.
ABSOLUTELY. Could not agree more.

Reactions: KFuqua
Only two names come to mind for immediate consideration IMO, Prince and Bogans. One or both should be next.

Casey should be up there already but, I have my doubts he ever will. He shouldered the scapegoat role for the late 80's probation...wrongfully I might add. But, there is still the connotation that he did something that was (at the time) illegal.
Does DC ever return to Rupp/UK for any of the player recognition events?

-Wall
-AD
-Oscar

-WCS 2015
-MKG 2012
-Cousins 2010
-Ulis 2016
-Mercer 1997
-Bob Brannum 1944
-Leroy Edwards 1935

2nd or 3rd team AAs?:
-Quickley 2020
-PJ Washington 2019
-Monk 2017
-Fox 2017
-Murray 2016
-KAT 2015
-Randle 2014
-T Jones 2011
-Meeks 2009
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001, 2002
-Rex 1988
-Turpin 1984

-Quickley 2020
-Monk 2017
-Ulis 2016
-Bogans 2003
-Prince 2001
-Mercer 1997
-Tom Parker 1972

I like that you want to use objective criteria.
But....Wall was not NPOY in 2010. Evan Turner was in every one (top 6) I found.

Only two names come to mind for immediate consideration IMO, Prince and Bogans. One or both should be next.

Casey should be up there already but, I have my doubts he ever will. He shouldered the scapegoat role for the late 80's probation...wrongfully I might add. But, there is still the connotation that he did something that was (at the time) illegal.
You have your Casey's mixed up. Mike is the player that people want in the rafters. Dwayne is the scapegoat for the late 80's.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
NPOY or 1st Team AA and atleast get your team to the F4.
Pretty steep requirements. That would mean our rafters would contain the following people:

Oscar
Willie Cauley-Stein
AD
Mercer
Delk
Mashburn
Spivey
Beard
Groza
Wah Wah

Keith Bogans Erik Daniels
What Incredulous GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: bthaunert

Dewayne was honored last year in Louisville when Kentucky Athletics HOF inducted him
We had a great visit he has a clear conscience as he should

It sure would be great for him to be our coach.
I think he's far too smart to make that move. He has success, the respect of his peers and is probably at a point in his life where he's starting to think about retirement. Or at least reducing his workload instead of adding to it.
But, I agree he would have been a great choice a few years back. Say...instead of BCG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT