ADVERTISEMENT

Players speak about Pope

“Put me out there wherever. I’ll play center. I’m just trying to win.” ❤️

Butler is the Antisharpe.
I thought it was funny when they asked Robinson about his decision at the deadline. Would have loved to have heard more about the specific timeline on when he withdrew but I get they weren't going to push him on that (and don't think he really would have gone into more details anyways).

This team has potential to be special. Much more stable mindset and maturity level over last years team. Last years team were good quality kids, but they didn’t have the same killer mentality of some of the guys we have this year. I’ve been highly impressed with the players and their attitude, demeanor and mindset. It’s super early but if that translates to the court then we will be better than I originally expected.

I've been shocked at the people who disliked signing Butler. Lot of vocal dissent on him. I think we're fortunate to have him.
I like the guy and am hopeful but you have to remember once upon a time we were PG U. Fox, SGA, Wall, Maxey, Quick and so on and so on. The PG stirs the drink and after years like Wheeler I think people are gun shy of not having that top stud to distribute. On top of that a pg none more for driving then shooting only being around 60% from the line is kind a scary. I just wish we had a young stud in the wings if it didn't workout.

I'm behind him and Kirisa I just worry about the PG spot most years over any other. But I'm all in, so hope is a good thing Red.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That was three years ago. I wonder if he ever gives a thought about UK and how he cheated the program and the fans. I wonder if Calipari gives it any thought.
Sharpe? Hell no. I’d say Cal does, though. Sharpe and his team played him hard. Narcissists like Cal don’t forget that

Sharpe? Hell no. I’d say Cal does, though. Sharpe and his team played him hard. Narcissists like Cal don’t forget that
I’m of the strong opinion cal didn’t get played, rather was complicit in the charade. Knew he would never play but wanted that recruiting win and notch in his belt. To think he got played implies he is an idiot, he can’t coach worth a shit but he’s no idiot in those terms. HE KNEW!!!!!!

This team has potential to be special. Much more stable mindset and maturity level over last years team. Last years team were good quality kids, but they didn’t have the same killer mentality of some of the guys we have this year. I’ve been highly impressed with the players and their attitude, demeanor and mindset. It’s super early but if that translates to the court then we will be better than I originally expected.
Reed had that mentality, Reeves had that mentality, I would say Dillingham to an extent. but the rest of the guys, nah. What you have with this year's team is a bunch of fifth year guys who know this is probably their last hoorah. only a couple of those fifth year guys have any kind of shot at playing in the NBA, most are likely looking at overseas ball or D-League. And that's not a knock on them at all, because they are all very good college players and exactly what we've needed more of on our roster. These guys will have that killer mentality for those reasons. Too often Cal focused on just trying to get the highest ranked athletes and pro prospects he could get. Those kids were playing with an eye on an NBA future and had no allegiance to the school, the fans, the history of the program. Losing in the first round of the NCAA didn't matter, they knew their NBA stock wasn't taking a hit at that point. They played for their draft stock, which means they played a lot for themselves and not each other. We landed great team guys this year.

I like the guy and am hopeful but you have to remember once upon a time we were PG U. Fox, SGA, Wall, Maxey, Quick and so on and so on. The PG stirs the drink and after years like Wheeler I think people are gun shy of not having that top stud to distribute. On top of that a pg none more for driving then shooting only being around 60% from the line is kind a scary. I just wish we had a young stud in the wings if it didn't workout.

I'm behind him and Kirisa I just worry about the PG spot most years over any other. But I'm all in, so hope is a good thing Red.
Red wuz here. So wuz Brooks.

Butler shot 72%, 72%, and 73% from the line in 3 straight seasons and then last year had a bad slump and was hitting 29% well into the season before overcoming the slump, which was likely mental, and raising his average up to near 60%. So, now that you certainly know all that...do you still believe he is a 60% free throw shooter or low 70s? Math was never my strongest subject but I'd predict him being around 70%; could be wrong but that the way the probabilities lie from my perspective.

Last edited:

“I’m all in” as he spends an entire post casting doubt on our current point guard position. Sounds like you have one toe in the pool and scared to jump in.

“I’m all in” as he spends an entire post casting doubt on our current point guard position. Sounds like you have one toe in the pool and scared to jump in.
All in to you means blind optimism? No doubts at all? Really? It's not possible to be all in on Pope, but still have concerns about certain aspects of the team?

Blessing in disguise. Perhaps if he had played Cowl would have won a single tourney game and still here.

I've thought about that scenario on and off since that year. We really were down big on SGs and wings towards the end of that season with Ty and Grady both banged up. And seeing how decent Sharpe has been jn the NBA (despite, you know, taking an entire year off), it makes me sick to think about just how good we might have been that year with him. Not just in the tournament, but all season.

Mid season that year, was maybe the best Kentucky looked over the last 6 or 7 years. We were flooring teams when we were healthy. You add what appears to be a soon-to-be pretty decent NBA player to that team and who knows..

But at the same time.. You're right. If we even win JUST that St. Peter's game and lose the next one, Cal is probably still here. And were going into next year with a brand new team, little experience, and a lot of guys that can't shoot all that well.

Sorry I'm not gonna just guzzle blue kool-aid blindly. I am all in but of course I have some concerns. Just being rational, I know no place for it here. You're even in or out. It is possible to be all on and have a few worries of a brand new team who's never played together under a first year coach at UK.

Sorry I'm not gonna just guzzle blue kool-aid blindly. I am all in but of course I have some concerns. Just being rational, I know no place for it here. You're even in or out. It is possible to be all on and have a few worries of a brand new team who's never played together under a first year coach at UK.
I think you are being completely reasonable and rational. I hope my post about Butler's free throw shooting alleviated your concern to some extent, if you read it, but anyway our backup pg is a nearly 90% free throw shooter so I personally don't have those particular concerns. I'd predict, with Pope as his coach, that Butler will have his best free throw shooting year...that would be over 73%. Now I'd like to have a Butler that was a 90% foul shooter but no team has everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT