ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino on KSR

While I could never be a fan of Pitino the way I was in the 90's (he caused too much damage to ever fully recover from in my eyes), I give him high marks at the systematic destruction of UofL basketball from the inside the likes of which they still have not fully recovered from.

Not a Calipari fan but the same goobs that said he'd destroy our program are fawning over a guy that.............completely gutted a program. Like I said, there's MUCH more Calipari hatred here than Pitino hatred. MUCH more. Clown act.

Reactions: bouncebackcats
Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF

BBN has come full circle!

He's pure slime, but I can see where there's low self-esteem folks out there that would give him a big sloppy kiss.

None of this is because he loves UK. It's all about him turning the knife in Calipari's back. They are both awful in their own ways and we don't need either of them.

I rather have the 2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS then hold a grudge and be bitter about either of the two coaches.

Reactions: will1976
As a 90s teenager in this great state 1A and 1B in basketball was Jordan and Pitino who was ahead is a good debate.

Him going to U6 was treason and hurt.

Now he knows his legacy is trashed and is doing whatever it takes to get a measure back at the only place he can. Most fans are nostalgic for what he did here and are welcoming him back and I am ok with it.

Personally, I think he's just playing a PR game, which he did his while career, to look better.

It helps our program, so I am ok with it.

I don’t actually hate him because he coached at Louisville or even for his perceived shots at UK during that time. I did enjoy booing him when he came back to Rupp and seeing us beat his Louisville teams, but at the end of the day, that was just in good fun as part of sports.

What I have a harder time getting over is that he had a repeated pattern of behavior that coincidentally mostly occurred at Louisville that revealed him to be an individual of questionable character to put it mildly. Given that he’s never really seemed remorseful over those actions and generally seems to still be that person, I’m still not going to be a fan of his even though he’s no longer an “enemy” of our basketball program.

I love it. It crushed me when he went to Louisville but it was nothing like a Calipari situation Pitino knows his legacy is at UK. That’s where it belongs. I never once thought about following Pitino none of us would, but I am one that has no trouble saying I was always a Pitino over Cal guy. Pitino is a real coach he just made some of the worst decisions imaginable. He smashes Louisville these days and wants to be a part of his legacy at UK. I’m all for it. I’ll get bashed for it but I grew up learning UK under Pitino and nobody will ever get that out of me in any way.
Good for you young man. He was the best. No doubt about it. Well said.

Reactions: Killswitch24
It isn't like Pitino went straight to UL from us. Someone mentioned UNLV or Michigan. At that time, a lot of coaches would've chose UL. While it hurt for just a minute, I was never in the hate category because he coached there. I loved Rick when he was here. I'm glad he's getting back in good graces with some. Here is where his legacy is. Some need to realize it's just a game.
Louisville was clearly the right choice considering they had Jurich as their AD. Say what you will but he was successful. Pitino had verbally agreed to the Michigan gig and then changed his mind at the last second per his words. He regrets leaving for Boston and has said as such. He struggled with trying to save money as the GM (horrendous GM).

My favorite years as a fan were the Pitino years cause I was a kid but I do not look up to him or idolize this super flawed guy. I see him as what he was- the boss who revived UK basketball and made it the best program in basketball when he left. It also helps that he's incredibly bitter toward Louisville now too. Haha

Reactions: TPush
I don’t actually hate him because he coached at Louisville or even for his perceived shots at UK during that time. I did enjoy booing him when he came back to Rupp and seeing us beat his Louisville teams, but at the end of the day, that was just in good fun as part of sports.

What I have a harder time getting over is that he had a repeated pattern of behavior that coincidentally mostly occurred at Louisville that revealed him to be an individual of questionable character to put it mildly. Given that he’s never really seemed remorseful over those actions and generally seems to still be that person, I’m still not going to be a fan of his even though he’s no longer an “enemy” of our basketball program.

Good post. That's where I'm at. It has nothing to do with him leaving us or going to UL. UL was the best job at the time so he took it. I mean we absolutely owned him while he was there so I was hoping it would keep going.

It has everything to do with him being a low life. But over the years I've seen people BADLY want Bobby Petrino, etc. so this is not surprising. It's overwhelmingly people that didn't even graduate from UK and have zero pride as far as who leads our teams. They just want a championship so they can moon the UT fan across the street, etc. lol

I don't like Cal or Rick. But I'd come around to Rick before I ever would Cal. At least he still wanted to win and actually tried to do his job. Cal had his own agenda and used UK to achieve it, all while tanking the program in the process. I'll never forgive him for that.
For sure. With all of his flaws, Pitino loved UK and that never went away. He was proud to represent the state and our fanbase. Cal made a mockery of UK and its legacy. He pretended the pieces of the puzzle were bigger than the finished product that is Kentucky basketball. Pitino has more than done his time, and he's even helping us now. He's good in my book.

Louisville fans today are way beyond Salty today and I'm loving every minute of it..

GOT PITINO? Remember those shirts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT